Re: Froyo
Stein5830
Enthusiast - Level 3

Whenever VZW gets on the ball and finishes the update? My guess about 6 months after 2.3 comes out.

0 Likes
JoshuaYP

am just waiting Froyo so I can use some bloody apps and games ^^;;  and ofc better if it fixes some bugs ^^ still I like it as it is ^^

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Hi, we are Verizon and we could care less about our customers!
0 Likes
Swliles89

Doesn't seem like it will be released for a while.There's a good amount of evidence around the web now to suggest that Samsung has passed on the base code on to Verizon.Verizon is just doing mods on it now,preparing it for OTA.

0 Likes
yoworm

You are right it will be a while.  I just got off the phone with a Samsung manager who stated that Verizon has had Froyo for a considerable amount of time, and that they too wish our phones would be updated because it is making Samsung look worse.  

Verizon does not give a **bleep** they know the majority of us our enslaved to them because of their outrages 350 early termination fee.  They also know they have better coverage.  I saw this when I had nextel.  Nextel knew that everyone wanted direct connect at the time and their customer service dropped dramatically because they knew the customers were not going anywhere.

Verizons customer service standpoint is what are you going to do leave?  Give us our 350 dollars and leave you will be back and be chained to another two year prison sentence with a phone that is two android OS behind now and they could care less.  They are last to have front facing cameras, even t-mobile beat them to 2.3, there plans are the highest of all the carriers and you get less (IE sprints simply everything and the fact that you can share that with your family).  I am unfortunately not in a financial position to justify taking my four lines away from verizon.  However at this point I would gladly trade some dead spots and a couple of lost calls to have a phone such as the EVO (2.2) the Nexus S (2.3)  the G2 (2.2) or several other android phones whose carriers were concerned enough to update their phones for their customers.

Verizon, Does it really take that long to take a good operating system and destroy it with BING and make it slower with your Bloatware that no one is going to use.  Blockbuster App really? They almost went out of business.  VZ navigator are you crazy google maps and navigation are free do you really think any of us want any of your bloatware?  Put your bloatware in the market place and if we want it we will download it.  Now give us the **bleep** Froyo already now that Gingerbread is out.  

To those who say they are waiting patiently as they want fewer bugs.  Do you really think Verizon is working hard to remove the Bugs?  Hell no they are dragging their feet because they are preparing to market the Iphone and pushing the 4G which is nothing new sprint has been had 4G.  

To those that say do you think other carriers are going to treat you better.  Well other carriers have updated their phones.  But that is not the point, the point is just because one may be treated ok by their carrier does not mean they should not be encouraged to treat their customers better.

Thanks for nothing verizon

One of your many truly unhappy customers.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, Samsung finalized their coded about a month and half ago so it looks like the carriers are sitting on their hands now.  Verizon isn't exactly known for timely updates either.  I came from a blackberry and if it weren't for leaks, I would've probably gone insane waiting on Verizon to approve/release updates.  And then when they did, the version they push seems to be more buggy than the other test version.

yeah, Samsung finalized their coded about a month and half ago so it looks like the carriers are sitting on their hands now.  Verizon isn't exactly known for timely updates either.  I came from a blackberry and if it weren't for leaks, I would've probably gone insane waiting on Verizon to approve/release updates.  And then when they did, the version they push seems to be more buggy than the other test version.

And  the other US carriers have had their Galaxy S devices out longer and they're still waiting for an official update.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

For all who is afraid of the $350 ETF. Here is how to get funds to pay it off. Sell your Fascinate on eBay (it now goes anywhere in $350 range). Use proceeds from the sale to pay off ETF and be free from a contract. 

I read that some people are ready to trade off few drop calls and spotting coverage for the latest OS. In the same regards, did you also considered trading your Windows XP PC/laptop with DSL/Cable connection for Windows Vista PC/laptop with 56K modem.

Watch what you wish for. I was sitting with few of my coworkers in the downtown San Francisco office and we exactly had all major West coast wireless providers. 

I had Verizon (Fascinate), another guy had Sprint (HTC Evo), another guy had Sprint (Epic 4G), and one girl had AT&T (iPhone4). We tried to do the same thing, to access our company website, guess who finished first...me with Fascinate, Epic came second just with a few seconds delay, Evo third 15 seconds later (even though it is supposed to be 4G, it is not available in SF), and the last was iPhone with more than a minute late.

So as for me, the fast reliable network will beat latest OS at any time.

0 Likes
pauldangerkile

This is pretty important. The JIT, lighted buttons, and GPS, are OK to wait for, but all of the latest versions of Google's apps are 2.2-and-up only. That is frustrating to wait for.

Paul

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

0 Likes
yoworm

What good is the fast reliable network if you cannot view the majority of videos on the web because verizon will not give the Galaxy S users Froyo which includes 10.1 flash support?

It is not always weather or not verizon is better than the other networks it maybe that we would would our service provider to strive to be better.  Defending BIG RED who imprisons us to a device that is not updated may be better than T-mobile imprisoning us to a 2 year sentence with spotty data coverage but it does not mean it is good.  Atleast T-mobile was proactive and they already have a phone with 2.3 and Verizon is still stalling on 2.2.

I just read that Sprint has started pushing the OTA Froyo update.  I only skimmed this as my focus is on unlocking my phone but if this is true it is yet another sad day for customers of BIG RED.  I have left a message for a friend of mine who has the epic to check to see if his update is available.  I will update later when he gets back to me.  Sprint beat verizon to 4G, beat them to a family share plan for data and appears to have beat them to the 2.2 update for the Galaxy S line.  The link is below

http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/mobile/sprint-epic-4g-get-official-android-2-2-froyo.xhtml

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If Flash is what makes you want Froyo, then you're going to be highly disappointed as it just isn't there for mobile devices yet.  And Sprint hasn't released Froyo yet for the Epic.  That was sent to a few developers with test phones and they took it from there. For what it's worth, it was highly buggy and Sprint is advising against using it.

0 Likes