Re: Froyo
B33
Legend

Samsung Could have cool phones! But they ran to potty! before joining the Party !  :smileytongue:

0 Likes
white1621

I'll throw my 2 cents in this discussion... 

I got my entire family on Verizon back in September to get away from AT&T. My wife and I both had iPhones, which we loved, but the network and customer service were abysmal at best and atrociously awful at worst. We had every intention of getting the Droid Incredible when we walked into our local Verizon store but they were in fact sold out. We played with a few phones, including the Fascinate which was released the day before, and we left with 2 fascinates and 3 slider phones for our kids. We were the first customers to buy the Fascinate at our local store, so it made us popular with the staff. Oh and we also left behind the major burden of AT&T which was the biggest relief of all. 

I have no real complaints about  Verizon's network or services. As for the phone it is more than capable of fulfilling my needs. Having migrated away from an iPhone to Android, I enjoy the freedom the platform provides to do with it as I wish. After all I bought these phones and didn't write them into my contract for a more expensive monthly subsidy. So we are free to switch up at anytime. It this phone becomes too unusable without Froyo 2.2 or some other update I'll simply go buy more after I've thoroughly researched and settled on something else. I'm not going to berate Verizon because they have a very capable phone that is equal or better to an iPhone, in my opinion, that is lacking the most recent software updates. 

In all of my encounters in the store or with customer service on the phone Verizon has been more than helpful and professional and handled all of my issues with not even a moment of fuss. If I try to make a call it goes every time no matter where I am and it doesn't randomly drop out. If I use my Fascinate's internet or apps I have no problems at all. So is it really going to be that big of a change for me with Froyo? I take all things into consideration not just the phone I'm using.

So I'll take this fascinate, 2.2 or not, and Verizons exceptional service and network, over any competitor in my home area anytime.

0 Likes
bawnate1

For all the people that think that we need to be patient and wait for 2.2..   I guess that u don't like GPS and navigation  and having the new Gmail update that uploads your emails faster..  Also there have been reports the the new update has helped the Fascinate run faster..

But the truth is Verizon don't give a dame your us because they know that the GPS is a no go and the email program is sluggish and gmail is now out of date also programmers are making programed designed for 2.2 NOT 2.1 Why would they??  And yes the phone dose lag  and freeze at time but nothing like the first droid. And guess what that is another thing that the 2.2 os update fixes( WOW who would have thought.)

If any one needs to use the gps now you can download the program gps Status it works really good . I used it and now GPS links up fast.   The way i think of it if we cant trust on the company We chose to go with  to give us the tools we NEED to be on the phone anyway. Because that's what Android programed it to do in the first place..  I bet the real reason why the GPS take so long to activate is because Verizon forced there CRAPPY Navigation SYSTEM  into the program  and booted the Google navigation GPS Identification program.  TO Verizion STOP MESSING WITH ANDROID PHONE AND FORCING US TO USE YOUR  PROGRAMS IF WE WANT THEM WE WILL DOWNLOAD THEM..  And if you have the updated OS think about the customer first not your selfish needs.. If u did that people will leave the other providers and sign on with u guys DUHH!!

0 Likes
RickBNA

Did you buy a phone or a GPS device?

As far as I know Verizon sells phones and not GPS devices.

Verizon provides a NETWORK to make telephone calls and send and receive data.

Does your device do that?

If the answer is yes than VERIZON has lived up to it's obligation to you. If certain aspect's of the device do not work THIS IS A HARDWARE/HANDSET ISSUE not a network issue.

With regard to bloatware and BING and other "forced" programs. Was it on there when you bought the phone? Did you do your research before you bought it? Do you think Sprint/AT&T/T-Mobile offer you a phone without bloatware?

0 Likes
bawnate1

yes i did do the resursh    but even though a phone company gets phones from the main company the company that made the phone. And the phone what designed to run with the android OS That is built with the android GPS navigation system and that's that's what Verizon Advertised.  And i got the phone for both reasons a phone and a GPS when I need it and when I needed the phone to do its job and get me to the place I needed to get to I couldn't. The fact is when u buy a phone these days if for all the feature that are on the.  I know that because u work for Verizion you have to defend there Stupidity. 

And the fact that u have a Fascinate makes me wander? if you even use all the function  that are on your phone..  For all the people that use the full futions of the phone then you will kniw that the GPS is one of the most basick things that is programed into the Google phones that is one of the reasons why people buy them.. And sham on you for defending a Company the bullies  customers to stay with them and lie to us in the face and on phone to get the sale..  And when we find out that the deal is bogus the facts are not true you cant get out of it.. with out paying some crazy price.

0 Likes
yoworm

Rick is a person not allowed to point out a few simple facts that explain the fascinate has fallen well short of expectations.  Not only has it fallen way short of expectations that we as consumers had because of false and or misleading advertising but both Samsung and Verizon have, a patch and two operating systems ahead of that of the fascinate.

Did you buy a phone or a GPS device? Both speaking of research did you do yours or was it a surprise to you that the Fascinate was capable of performing as a GPS device.  Not only capable but advertised as such therefore both companies should stand behind the claim that the phone operates the way they advertised it to.

Does your device do that?  Yes it makes calls

If the answer is yes than VERIZON has lived up to it's obligation to you. If certain aspect's of the device do not work THIS IS A HARDWARE/HANDSET ISSUE not a network issue.  As a company who sells a service that imprisons one to a two year contract, one would hope that during that two years Verizon would stand behind the products they push and release the OTA updates and patches so that there customers would be happy with the product during that 2 year period.

You stated that verizon lived up to its obligation, do you really believe that do you think that it is good business practice to sell sub par merchandise.  Verizon should hold the companies of the phones they sell to a higher standard so that verizon's customer relations does not tank as it is with many of the owners of the fascinate.  If said company in this case Samsuck does not produce quality merchandise than they as a responsible company should no longer carry their products.

With regard to bloatware and BING and other "forced" programs. Was it on there when you bought the phone? Did you do your research before you bought it? . It was on the phone at the time of purchase and it was also leaked that the FROYO update would allow customers to use google rather than Because Its Not Google (BING).  When and if they ever do send an update the bloatware would be contained on said update at which time the device is yours and they are now storing bloatware on your device I feel as if I should be charging Verizon a storage fee for using up valuable space on MY SDcard

Do you think Sprint/AT&T/T-Mobile offer you a phone without bloatware?  We all know the other companies have bloatware too.  We also know Sprint had the first 4g phone we also know that Sprint has a family share Plan that includes unlimited data.  We know that T-Mobile is far cheaper than verizon and also we know that T-mobile has worked closely with Samsung to have the Nexus S released that already has gingerbread and 6 days after its release has an OTA update.  Therefore we know if Verizon gave two **bleep**s about its customers they would be working closely to update there phones or at a minimum release a patch to fix the problems.   

Verizon is too concerned with releasing 4g, the Iphone and new customer acquisition to worry about customers who have been with them for 10 plus years.  Why be concerned with current customer issues we need new customers.  Is it so hard to work on customer retention and reward customer loyalty?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yoworm wrote:

We know that T-Mobile is far cheaper than verizon and also we know that T-mobile has worked closely with Samsung to have the Nexus S released that already has gingerbread and 6 days after its release has an OTA update.  Therefore we know if Verizon gave two **bleep**s about its customers they would be working closely to update there phones or at a minimum release a patch to fix the problems.   

That has less to do with tmobile and more to do with it being a TRUE google device as was the nexus one.  Updates are released directly from Google and neither the carrier nor the manufacturer can slow the updates. Verizon had the option to do that with the N1 but decided to stick with the Incredible instead.  That said, Verizon's testing and update release is poor at best and it certainly isn't limited to Android.  I came from a blackberry and if it weren't for leaks and hybrids, I would've chunked it the day I bought it.  They somehow manage to fail the decent updates and release buggy ones.  Verizon should fire their entire testing department and hire some of the developers over at xda-developers.com and both sides would be much happier.

0 Likes
ARossetter
Contributor - Level 1

bawnate1 wrote:

But the truth is Verizon don't give a dame your us because they know that the GPS is a no go and the email program is sluggish and gmail is now out of date also programmers are making programed designed for 2.2 NOT 2.1 Why would they??  And yes the phone dose lag  and freeze at time but nothing like the first droid. And guess what that is another thing that the 2.2 os update fixes( WOW who would have thought.)

Sorry, had to chime in regarding the above. You do realize that there are a lot of phones that will never even have Android 2.1, let alone 2.2, right? Developers target the widest array of platforms in order to guarantee their application is usable on as many devices as possible. The Google upgrades are primarily for the newer OS's, but that's Google. The old stuff works, just the new stuff is better.

I'd also like you to cite your source regarding our 2.2 update fixing the intermittent lag, because last *I* checked, that is due to the filesystem chosen by Samsung (RFS vs. Ext3). Unless Samsung's 2.2 update changes the RFS filesystem to use ext3 instead of FAT, I doubt any OS update is going to fix it.

I apologize for having to bring this up, but I didn't want people to read this thread and mistakenly think you knew what you were talking about.

- Andy

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1
my gps locks in in about a minute. much faster than my tom tom. my fascinate runs very fast. once again, as others have pointed out, what will froyo do for me?
0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi.

Verizon Wireless began pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate on April 21, 2011.  Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player.  You can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update. Customers will also be able to download the update manually by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

Thank you,

0 Likes