Re: GPS after DL09 update
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Bri333 wrote:

For some reason last night after charging my phone (with it off), I got the big yellow triangle saying Downloading, Do Not Turn Off Target. So I thought, Wow, maybe they are pushing the EA28 update to my phone since I've written back and forth with Verizon. But it stayed like that with the screen on (I had not turned phone on) till past midnight and I went to bed. This morning, phone off and battery drawn down. After charging and turning it on, it still has DL09. I have no idea what that was all about and if anything was really downloading.

Sounds like you might have accidently put it in download mode.  This can be done while holding the volume down button while powering on phone.

0 Likes
MaxBuck
Contributor - Level 1

Traded in my phone, and now I have no GPS problems.

Odd symptoms, to say the least.  It's baffling why some handsets require this software update in order for GPS to work properly, while other handsets had GPS that worked just fine until this update.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

KinquanaH_VZW wrote:

Bri333, I am sorry your experiencing issues with your GPS after your software update. If you have attempted to resolve your issues with routine steps that usually fix some device issues, your next step would be to visit a corporate Verizon Wireless store. The EA28 software was released to correct issues with the DL09 update. 

Additionally, I wanted to list the steps to update your phone to the EA28 Os below:

1) Click Menu

2) Click Settings

3) Click about phone

4) Click System updates

5) Click push system updates

6) Check New

KinquanaH_VZW

Well now I know why I don't have Froyo yet...that step number 5, my dogggone phone has no push system updates option. Man what a bummer, how do I get that push stuff.:smileytongue:

0 Likes
Bri333

Mine doesn't have the Push System Updates either so that doesn't work.  I have been on the phone with tech support again twice. After getting that yellow triangle Downloading message we thought maybe an update was coming through, but seems not. I think the person, above, who mentioned I may have held the volume control inadvertently while powering on (putting the phone into Download mode) must have been correct.

Verizon is suggesting they send me a "new" phone (which are reconditioned phones). I don't like that idea because I've treated my phone really well, never dropped it, etc. What if I get one that ends up with different problems. Plus it will take a lot of time to list and reinstall apps and data that I have. 

Nothing new about the problems with my phone that started after the DL09 update:  GPS still doesn't lock except occasionally when I also have Google Locator Services on (and even then it takes awhile). I have that missing first letter problem, and doubling the initial caps when entering text.  Another annoying problem that I never had before DL09.

And since doing the reactivate as a Verizon tech suggested (*228, option 1) my POP email doesn't come through on its own without me either shutting phone down and restarting, or (a tip from someone on the forum) Ending email program (thru Task Manager) WHILE it is supposedly checking for new mail. Then going back into Email and hitting Load New Messages.

Might be easier to live with these problems than deal with reinstalling data and apps to a new phone. Not happy about this. I also don't see why Verizon (in store or by phone) cannot call Samsung or Google or wherever the updates are pushed from and have the EA28 pushed to my phone.  There should be an option online for us to download updates or trigger them to be pushed.

0 Likes