GPS not working after froyo 2.2 upgrade
mkwilson88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded to froyo 2.2 yesterday and since then my GPS won't work.  The only way I can get it to work is to turn GPS on, power off/on my phone, then the GPS will work when the phone is first powered back on.  If I turn off the GPS off and then try it again later, it won't work again.  I don't normally leave GPS turned on because it drains the battery too fast, but now I have to restart my phone any time I want to use GPS?!?!?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: GPS not working after froyo 2.2 upgrade
mkwilson88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just found out from a Verizon rep why my GPS wasn't working.  When I installed the update it turned off the VZW location services setting under Settings- Location and Security.  Once I turned that back on, it started working right away!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

OK. Not just me then.  I have 3 Fascinates since last Sept.  First couple months, none of the 3 GPS would work.

Then after first verizon patch/upgrade, all 3 worked better. Then after 2nd and finally 3rd EA28, GPS worked

GREAT on all 3 phones. Been working great since the EA28 upgrade.

Yesterday, 2 of the 3 got their Froyo 2.2 upgrade.

Now, the GPS on both of them quit working again.  They either never get a signal lock or take over 20 minutes to get one

and IF they do, its a once a day event. 

The one that didnt yet receive its 2.2 update, its GPS is still working fine. ( though I'm sure it will quit post update as well).

Since all 3 worked great last 4 or 5 months, I can only assume the gps radios in all 3 are fine and this is some kind

of Android bug.  ( i've seen similiar posts in other forums for other phones after gettting various android updates. )

So, $64,000 question for Verizon, Samsung or whomever: How do I fix this now and keep it fixed ??

( I've cleared all cache data I can find, turned off/on, removed battery turned off/on ...Nothing helps on either phone.)

I have not yet tried a 'factory reset' , though I could on  1 of the 2 phones.

Thanks.

0 Likes
mkwilson88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just found out from a Verizon rep why my GPS wasn't working.  When I installed the update it turned off the VZW location services setting under Settings- Location and Security.  Once I turned that back on, it started working right away!

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Under settings, location...one of the three options is 'Standalone GPS'...which implies all i want to use to

get a fix is standard GPS satellites...not google, not vzw services.

- Can someone then please explain Standalone GPS to me?

- If all 3 must always be on to use GPS, why have 3 options?

I'll try both phones later tonight or tomorrow am when I get a chance.

Thanks for posting this !

0 Likes
JIMD4
Enthusiast - Level 3

You don't need VZ Navigator to use GPS on fascinate with 2.1 or 2.2. In fact it cost you extra $9.99/mo I think. 

Just go to main screen, settings, location and security and you will see standalone GPS services and Google location services. Turn those on when you want to navigate and it will work fine and be free.  Turn them off when you do not need GPS and it uses more battery it seems.

Have fun.

Jim D

0 Likes
D9
Nope. This did not work for me. The only way that I can get my gps to work on my fascinate is to turn on all location services, power the phone off & back on again. Once I turn of the standalone gps, I c an not get it to work again unless I turn it on and power cycle the phone. BIG disappointment! Things worked fine for me before the update. You'd think that verizon & Samsung would have put some extra effort into ensuring that the gps worked with this release given that this phone had a history of gps issues. Sas to day, but my brother who has the Droid-X has had no major issues with his phone.
0 Likes