bobodetroit

I have my girlfriends phone and I'm trying to fix her GPS which isn't responding properly. Now what do you suppose is causing this GPS not to function. Why is it only picking up 1 Satellite???? I thought this was a SMART PHONE. --------- And another thing. I think this is making the battery lose power way too early but it's difficult to say. It kind of makes sense if the GPS is always hunting then wouldn't that use up all her battery life quickly. I told her to just go to AT&T and get an I-Phone like mine if she can't get the bugs out of it.

0 Likes
Re: GPS
bobodetroit

It's absolutely amazing to me that out of 45 views (curious readers) not even one can help with this or even leave me a comment like, "your phone is junk" or "they all do that". Isn't anyone having this issue with their Samsung Fascinate or is it just the service or maybe both. Help!.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

Make sure the phone has the latest Android  either 2.1 EA28 or 2.2 ED01

( menu   settings  about phone  firmware version 2.?  and build number Exxx? )

If yes, ok...if not...update phone...about phone system updates..check new

if yes. then try   menu   settings    location and security

make sure   vzw location ,   standalone gps and google location services are all checked.

( it should work with just standalone and google checked..but check all 3 first as a test ).

If working ok ...done.

If not..you can try downloading  GPS STatus and Toolbox from the market.

( this has a tool that will let you reset the A-GPS data   ( assisted gps ).)

this will a lot of the times fixe the problem.

Not sure what else it could be..   good luck.

0 Likes
Smokie11
Contributor - Level 1

Remove battery, wait 10 minutes. reinstall and test again, as previously advised I also recommend the app GPS Status from the market, it seems to wake up the GPS faster than Navigation App.

0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

Smokie11 wrote:

Remove battery, wait 10 minutes. reinstall and test again, as previously advised I also recommend the app GPS Status from the market, it seems to wake up the GPS faster than Navigation App.

This is an easy fix which worked for me, but there are still times my gps won't lock onto satellites or takes awhile to do it. Agreed the gps stsatus app does help it lock onto satellites.

0 Likes
bobodetroit

I have taken all the advise and am grateful for helping me. It seems to be functioning once again.  Now My next Question is; "why couldn't the support line and the help desk at the phone store take care of this for me"? The advise given to me was to send it in for repair or replacement.. This phone is new. Why do I want a reconditioned phone? Hello !!!!

0 Likes
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

bobodetroit wrote:

I have taken all the advise and am grateful for helping me. It seems to be functioning once again.  Now My next Question is; "why couldn't the support line and the help desk at the phone store take care of this for me"? The advise given to me was to send it in for repair or replacement.. This phone is new. Why do I want a reconditioned phone? Hello !!!!

Today I tried something different with the GPS. Before the last 2 updates which were EA28 and Froyo, I believe the software version was EA09. In that version my Fascinate would immediately lock onto satellites with just the standalone GPS enabled. (no Google or VZW location services enabled). Well I tried that again today, and my Fascinate outside immediately picked up the satellites, and in my house it took about 10 seconds (much faster than with the location services enabled.) Give it a shot, it worked for me. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

bobodetroit wrote:

To some customer service, it so much simpler just to send you a refurbish phone then to actually help the customer out. I have seen this more than once dealing with reps
0 Likes