Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
Planner1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to add that the better plans out there with a cheaper truly unlocked Nexus phone are also unlimited for everything including data with hotspot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to love and be happy to be a part of our wireless family Planner1. While your feedback is certainly appreciated, please understand that as the wireless world evolves, we must evolve with it to meet the demands of our customers. Subpar 4G speeds is simply unacceptable. If you can be so kind as to share the zip code that you are having the issue in then we can investigate for you.

The Galaxy Nexus is easily one of my favorite smartphones. With its ease of use and vanilla operating system, what's there not to love! While the updates are originated from the manufacturer, Google, the Nexus delivered on its promise, which is a vanilla operating system. There's no doubt that software updates can be exciting but the main reason for most updates is to resolve known issues with the performance of the device. Our devices are test vigorously to ensure that they will work as promise, thus making a multiple software updates unnecessary. If you feel that this is not the case then please advise as we want you to love your device and the experience that the Nexus provides.

Upgrading is an exciting experience. While unlimited data is no longer available for new customers you are welcomed to keep this plan when a device is purchased at full retail. We even have a great option for our customers which makes the retail purchase of a new device more flexible. For more info, check out this link, http://bit.ly/11uYaHJ.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SpiffyItalian
Enthusiast - Level 2

" If you feel that this is not the case then please advise as we want you to love your device and the experience that the Nexus provides."

This is not the case. Those of us who purchased the Galaxy Nexus expected it to be like any other Nexus device. That means that we expected updates to come directly from Google. At the absolute very least, we expected that if Verizon was going to do anything to the device or tamper with the upgrade process, that due to the Galaxy Nexus being stock Android, the wait time from Google releasing an update to Verizon sending it out would be very minimal (a week or two tops).

Instead, updates have taken between 3-6 months to roll out. This is absolutely unacceptable for a Nexus device. I know that I'm not alone when I say that one of the main reasons I bought the Galaxy Nexus was the hope of getting new Android updates faster than the current glacial rate that most Android devices get them. I'm extremely disappointed that this ended up not being the case.

readyfireaim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey!  Android 4.4 was just announced!!!  (It will be called KitKat, and NOT Key Lime Pie)...

Hey Verizon, can you start working on, "Optimizing the 4.4 software," for us NOW, even though the software is specifically created for our devices, so I don't have to wait until 2015?

Also, you realize everyone that bought Nexus devices are your more tech-savvy customers, right?  We aren't baby boomers buying iPhones.  All of us read up on current tech issues.  We are well versed as to why VZ can't throttle bandwidth or limit tethering apps on 4G phones (FCC slapped you since part of the deal to sell you the spectrum was you could not limit how the customer uses said BW).

But, here's the big one:  All of us understand that Google develops a new operating system TO WORK SPECIFICALLY WITH NEXUS DEVICES so the Nexus phones get the updates first.  The Nexus device is the 'baseline" that all other android phones need to be tweaked from.  The Samsung GNex and the Nexus 4 are on the test benches at google right now testing 4.4.  It is your Galaxy 4s and HTC Ones that need to be, "Tweaked for the optimum experience," not my phone.

Look, I know you guys have a really long straw there with liquid sunshine in it, but it isn't working.  Just release 4.3 to us now.  If we see a problem with it, we'll let you know.  ALL of us are willing to be paying beta testers.  When we find issues, we let people know so that they get patched/fixed.  This moves the android experience forward.  What is better?  Dealing with angry GNex owners on this board, or dealing with GNex owners that would report a bug IF we were able to find one?

Like someone said previously, "How many phones are available from VZ that run 4.3?"  You bash T Mobile as a "supermarket disposable brand", however, there are ppl carrying around android phones running 4.3 that would beg to differ.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Announced is completely different than released.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SpiffyItalian
Enthusiast - Level 2

Read what he wrote again. You're missing the point entirely.

0 Likes
wchatam
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely agree with SpiffyItalian and readyfireaim. I bought the Galaxy Nexus because I wanted bleeding edge software updates. I'm willing to accept a few bugs if it means I'm getting the latest updates as soon as they're released. If people want a well tested device, they should get the Droids or the HTC One or the Galaxy S4. If people want bleeding edge features, they get the Nexus. Unfortunately, Verizon isn't supportive of people who want the Nexus experience.

I'm currently looking around at other carriers, and it will be interesting to see who gets the Nexus 5. I was with T-Mobile before switching to Verizon, and I much preferred how T-Mobile handled my Nexus S than how Verizon handles my Galaxy Nexus. T-Mobile was a much better company for Nexus owners than Verizon, but their coverage is terrible. If they increase their coverage, I'll consider switching back.

I'm probably most excited about Aio Wireless, which should be going nationwide in the next few weeks. I really like the concept of paying for the entire price of the phone upfront and then having a lower monthly rate. If the Nexus 5 is supported on that network, that's where I'll be headed.

Either way, I'm eager to be rid of Verizon.

budone
Legend

You are correct, it has been announced. It has been given a name. That is it.

Google needs to get it ready to roll out to test internally. (Which I suspect has happened already) Then Correct, try again, then give to manufacturers to work with, test, with each device.  Work with some more, test....etc

Then the manufacturers need to work with each provider and with each of their devices. Ya know what I am going to say......

It will not be any time soon we will see Kit Kat.

SpiffyItalian
Enthusiast - Level 2

These updates are tested on Nexus phones. Once they are done they roll out to Nexus phones immediately. Manufactures which have tinkered and made modifications to the Android OS and added their own custom features may need to then further tweak it and test it, but Nexus phones running stock Android are already ready and set to get the updates. There doesn't need to be any more waiting for them beyond Google pushing it out. Look to phones bought off of the Google Play store as an example.

0 Likes
Planner1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have one more month until Android 5.0 will roll out and if we are lucky we may see Android 4.3 before the years end (fingers crossed)!  Can't wait for the Nexus 5 to be released at the end of October!!!!! It is packed with just about every antenna out there, so it will work on any network except one......... Verizon 4G LTE band 13 hmmmm I wonder why?

Sincerely,

A PROUD VERIZON GALAXY "NEXUS" OWNER

P.S. The Nexus 5 looks really nice.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-nexus-5-renders-and-details-pour-in-with-a-look-at-the-future-2013090...

0 Likes