Re: Galaxy Nexus Charge Bolt when Not Charging
gsmitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

msturgis,

Thanks!  I tried it, but no luck.  I also tried compressed air...nope.  But this is all extra, since I have had the USB port replaced, and that did not fix it either.  If you have any more ideas, please send them on!  Thanks!

0 Likes
ninjagrips

Same problem here, just replaced the USB port, same issue.

Verizon and Samsung need to make this right.

0 Likes
jpac_jimmy

Samsung support had me do a factory reset and it appears to have fixed the problem.  I had all the same syptoms of most people in this thread.  To do factory reset you turn off your phone, push up and down volume buttons at the same time as the power button.  Use the up and down volume button to scroll through choices and the power button to select.  Hope it works for everyone else.

0 Likes
davepon

I just started having this problem.  I have tried the factory reset...no luck. Also tried to power cycle while plugged in....removed battery....etc.  What else can be done?

0 Likes
gsmitchell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi all!  Well, I have good news and bad!  Good News!  I had the same problem with the charging bolt appearing even when the Gnex was not plugged in, and it has been solved!  Bad News!  You will most likely have to send it back to Samsung, or get a new phone from Verizon ( good luck, it is EOL ).   Since I bought my phone on Craigslist so I could keep my unlimited data plan ( thanks, stinking Verizon! ), Verizon was less than helpful in trying to help resolve my issue.  However, Samsung was great about it.  After some initial BS testing ( take the battery out, try different chargers, or ( as mentioned above by the Vz customer support person ) uninstall some programs ), they asked me to send it to them.  It took 3 tries and a letter to the CEO's office, but the fix is a new motherboard.  No, not a new USB charging board, a whole new motherboard.  Samsung replaced it, and my phone works great now!   For those of you suffering from this, it is CLEARLY a hardware issue, so all of the time wasting, bobbleheaded advice you will get about removing programs, trying new batteries and chargers are total time wasters!  Your options:  1)  Replacement GNex, 2) Send to Samsung for the fix, 3) Another phone.    I can tell you that this is a very good phone when it works properly.    Hope that helps!

0 Likes
msturgis
Contributor - Level 3

You just experienced support directly from the manufacturer. Unlike the carrier, manufacturers actually know a thing or two about the devices they make - so you will get better resolution than what you'd get from a carrier - which is pretty much wasting your time by the useless reps with sales in mind. Another positive - Samsung can't put a phony $600 charge for a phone "lost in the mail" or "corrosion found" claim.

So, yeah, next time - buy your phone unlocked and use it with a compatible service provider, and leave the carrier completely out of your phone business.

TheKidNew

Success: Vzw GNx purchased November 2011.  Running stock 4.1.1, with 2100mAh battery.  In March of 2013 my phone began having the same charging issue, where the charging bolt was staying on after being disconnected from the original inclusive power cord.  My phone would also keep the screen on at an extremely low level (randomly).  I cleaned the USB charging port on the phone with "Dust-off" compressed air, and then "modified" the male USB power coupling using this technique:

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-help/4516-gnex-thinks-its-charging-when-its-not-2...

I'm not telling anyone to do this, I'm just posting what I did and my results, which seem to have remedied my situation. While the Samsung Galaxy Nexus has been my best smart phone to date, I can't wait to upgrade in August of 2013.  Good Luck to all.

0 Likes