Re: Galaxy Nexus Periodic Restart / Reboot
eturk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everyone with the reboot problem:

The rebooting is caused by the software of ICS. It's quite BETA and has many issues like very poor battery life, random reboots, disconnects from data network.

The latest seems to be the software is so bad, this why Samsung keeps delaying the Car Dock with power. The phone won't go into car mode and stay there. buggy!

Root your phone and update to the leaked 4.0.4 update and the rebooting will go away. There's also some cool new buttons in the browser lab extension. But, it still drops on the 4g network and i often have toggle airplane mode on & off to restart the radio. there's an authentication (login) bug. It's really easy to root and apply the update. It's a (was a) Google developer phone.

So wait for the ROM update, root the phone, complain to Verizon that it's a beta phone. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
myandroidlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smiley Happyhi,there. not a problem! I know how to preform a hard reset properly. one day, i downloaded one stupid app which made me sick and then i had to get my device hard reset. i am glad to share my experience with you.

A<Preferred method>

1.From the home screen, select Apps.

2.From the APPS tab, select Settings.

3.From the PERSONAL section, select Backup & reset.

4.From the PERSONAL DATA section, select Factory data reset.

5.Select Reset phone.

Note: If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern.

6.Select Erase everything.

Note: Allow several minutes for the factory data reset and reboot processes to complete.

7.Refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

B<Alternate method>

1.Press and hold the Power button.

2.Select Power off

3.Select OK.

4.Press and hold the Volume keys+Power button simultaneously until bootloader mode (image of an Android with Start) appears then release.

5.Select Recovery mode.

Note: Utilize the volume keys to cycle through the available options and the Power button to select.

Note: The device will restart in Recovery mode.

6.From the Recovery mode screen, press and hold the Power button then press the Volume up key.

7.Select wipe data/factory reset.

8.Select Yes -- delete all user data.

Note: Allow several minutes for the factory data reset process to complete.

9.Select reboot system now.

Note: Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.

10.Refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

I got support from someone's blog titled:

http://www.verizon-cellphones.org/tips-how-to-hard-reset-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

Hope this help you

0 Likes
myandroidlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah, you got it.. smartphones generally smart your life, but sometimes it performs as blockhead.

while, to my comfort, i succeeded hard resetting it for two times..now it works wonderfully as my expected.

0 Likes
tymelero

I just wanted to give my two cents on the reboot issue.  For the first two weeks of having this phone it would reboot in facebook.  It would reboot in email.  It would reboot while rebooting(reboot three times in a row).  I reset to factory default a couple of times.  Did not load any app's outside of ICS.  Only item self configured was email.  Still had reboot issues.  I finally went to the VZW and got a replacement.  With the new phone I have had no reboot issues.  Not one.  Now if I could get the phone to stay connected to the network and stop dropping calls....

0 Likes
eturk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an explanation of why Verizon 4G LTE phones have trouble staying connected to the internet. I have to continually use airplane mode to restart the raidos so I can get internet access. Sometimes need to reboot. Maybe be happening mostly when the phone goes into power-saving mode.

Seems it may just be worse on the GNex but it's all 4G Verizon phones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/12/19/this-is-why-your-verizon-galaxy-nexus-or-other-4g-lte-vzw-ph...

0 Likes
DrBubba

In follow up of my post of the 11th, I'd first comment that there seems to be two patterns of rebooting that one can see...

1) It turns out that when you leave your home WiFi area, some phones will continuously reboot until you return to your home WiFi area.  The only way to get it to stop is to remove the battery.  This is what mine did.  I'm happy to report that doing a Factory Reset solved the problem.  I've reloaded all my apps, including a batery saver program (Juice Defender) and things seem to be working.

2) Most of the people in this thread seem to be getting periodic, random reboots.  I've not (yet) had that problem.

Only this forum (and a parallel forum on the WiFi reboot problem) provided answers to my problem.  The people at the Verizon store were clueless. 

Anyway, if anyone is having the CONTINUOUS reboot problem when they leave home, try the procedure outlined by "myandrodlife" posted March 16.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

I have had my GNEX from when it was released. I have only seen a few reboots. Most of them has occured when I have been in a weak 4g signal area. It is so minimal that I have ignored it so far, until recently. Since two days my phone was rebooting more erratically and frequently. The only new app I installed was the Facebook Messenger (not the Facebook App) and I immediately uninstalled it. Since the uninstall no reboots yet. Just wanted to share this with folks, so they can also look at and rule out misbehaving apps if at all.

0 Likes
detmer-sed

This is the only pattern I've noticed too.  The last two times it rebooted itself (just sitting there doing nothin'), I checked and saw that a system update check had just happened prior...no update done, of course...just a check.  I called Verizon support.  They don't have any record of known issues.  She logged it and sent to Samsung.

0 Likes
Flipt

I was having the same reboot issue as well with my GNEX.  Often rebooted using camera and switching to the gallery.  I looked at the installed apps (which was very few due to my personal feeling about keeping computing devices "clean") and I zero'd in on one potential culprit.  I decided to try disabling the VZ Backup Assistant and have had no issues with the random reboot since.  This was at least 3 weeks ago.  I also noticed a decline in the random overnight battery drains, but this did not fix that totally.  Funny thing is that this app did not appear in my list of apps using power.  Not sure why that is but my phone is pretty much stable now minus the losing signal issue.

I really like this phone but I wonder if I made a mistake buying it.  I cannot say that this is a reliable phone as the signal will go dead and I won't receive messages until I realize it is stuck with the no signal until I manually reboot the phone.  If the next update does not fix this issue, I will argue to replace this phone with a RAZR since it will be getting the ICS update down the road and ICS was the selling point of the GNEX for me. 

0 Likes
slmart

Have had this phone for only 1 week and have experienced 2 random shutdown/reboots. Once it randomly shut down while not in use and would not restart no matter how long I held down power button and not until I removed/replaced the battery. The reboot happened while on a call and right after leaving Verizon to complain about the phone freezing up while dialing trying to make some calls in an area known to have decent 4g connection! The reps at Verizon sounded clueless as always and blamed the phone saying that it does have "known issues" but other than that offered no help other than to log the problem until it happens again! I really like this phone but after reading about all the issues a lot of users are having I'm not so sure anymore. It seems to potentially have a lot to offer but it is for now just that, a potentially good phone, and then only when it works! VERIZON, GOOGLE, SAMSUNG CAN YOU HEAR US....somebody PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes