Galaxy Nexus Rebooting Loop on Wi-Fi...
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

This has come up on other forums, I'm just wondering how many people are experienceing this...

If the wi-fi is switched on, the phone starts to do reboot over and over, the only way to stop it is to do a factory reset.

For some, the wi-fi works on a remembered netowrk, but begins a boot loop as soon as you leave the remembered network with the wi-fi toggle still on.

Many are experiencing the boot loop on any network. Some say it's only when the phone recognizes a Wireless-N network.

Mine can only connect ot wi-fi in my house. If I leave my house with the wi-fi on, it will boot loop as soon as it switches over to 3g/4g. The boot loops stop as soon as I get back in range of my netowrk,

If I keep the wi-fi off, it's fine, but if I toggle it on away from home, there is no fix for the boot loop, except a factory reset from the recovery menu.

My phone has already been replaced, but at this point I don't know what to do....

Is this a known issue that will be fixed with software patch, or should I just return it all together and give up.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus Rebooting Loop on Wi-Fi...
suminater

I am having the exact same problem. 

It happens on any network for me. If i get out of range of the wifi it goes into a bootloop,

which like op said a factory reset is the only option to fix the issue for me. Returning to within wifi range doesn't work for me.

I'm going to exchange mine tomorrow.

0 Likes
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a thread on AndroidForums.com....

Galaxy Nexus Stuck in Boot Loop

You're not alone. Have you called VZW and Samsung (1-888-987-HELP) to report it. it needs a software fix, but they are unaware of the problem.

I think many people just don't know, becasue they haven't used a different wireless network then what they were using before getting the Galaxy Nexus.

0 Likes
jwilliamson

Good luck with that.  Samsung's response is to reflash the phone.  What this entails is sending off your unit to them so that they can repair it.  That's a quite nifty for my 3 day old phone that has already been replaced once by the carrier.  Somebody needs to fix this issue...

0 Likes
coreya

I had the same issue. Switched out the phone and while in the Verizon store with the new phone the verizon person toggled off wifi and got the same problem in the store. 

I havea  Verizon router at home where this happened 3 times, secured with WEP.  

When the phone comes back into my house it works again. 

Where can we look to know they fixed the issue?

0 Likes
Pman5K

One has to wonder how they could have had this many phones with such a bug that essentially makes it unusable?

I mean it is stuff like this that will DESTROY a product, and many times a company's reputation entirely.

I have had the same issue, and others. I have had to do 5 factory resets/restorations in just over 12 hours of having the phone in hand. To top it off, my SIM card has been invalidated since I had to reactivate my Droid X, so there is no trying anything more. i am about to send it back if the store can't do anything, and I will also make sure that they know they will be losing a customer. I mean they need to replace the phone and SIM (in person... I am not going to sit out $250 for a CHANCE that the problem is fixed... glad I charged it to my account lol... nor will I pay it till i have a working phone) and do some various tests in the store (test teh wifi bug for instance, including a walk out to the parking lot) and if after af ew hours it acts up again... I am going to be trhough with the Galaxy Nexus...

I mean seriously... how can a phone be out with this many widespread CRITICAL bugs that make it a fancy high tech paperweight? All the specs and stuff in the world won't help it stand up to anything else if it does not work!!!! It could have a 50-core 500 terrahert CPU and 100TB RAM and storage, and if it didn't work, it is more useless than my old LG ENV

0 Likes
Pman5K

So I just got off the phone, and as far as VZW is concerned, mum is the word about this major flaw.They actually got a little pissy when I even mentioned it... or any of the other widely known issues/bugs with the Galaxy Nexus...

I have seen several hundred different postings regarding this issue on several dozen various websites, so it is not like they have never heard of this problem (among the MANY others that have been evident... I am sure glad I have unlimited data as well...) or that it is a rare occurrence.I have already racked up nearly a gig in data usage with all the factory resets/restorations until I said screw it and got back on my droid X, which subsequently made the SIM card useless... which brings me to another thought...

Before I was on Verizon, I had T-mobile. I had many problems with T-mobile devices, which after going through literally 16 handsets in just as many weeks, it was determined to be the SIM card. Funny how a $0.25 part can cripple and ruin several hundred dollars of equipment (granted they reflash/refurb the ones they do crash...) one would think QC would be in full force to avoid the costly losses.

Verizon, Samsung, and the engineers need to get together and have themselves a little bit of a QC party, because there is definitely something asunder....

0 Likes
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's the fix that worked for me. It's all we have since VZW won't even acknowledge it.....

***I would get a replacement phone form VZW first, but fell free and try this on your current phone before replacing.

***Make a list of all your apps...you'll have to manually reinstall them.

1) I factory reset the phone.
2) I booted it back up, and let the phone activate.
3) I DID NOT back up my data from my Google.
4) I DID NOT back up my contacts from VZ Backup Assistant.

5) Phone the phone is fully booted up, I turned on the wifi. The phone should NOT boot loop.

6) Add your home wifi network. Your phone should not boot loop.

**At this point, I walk a half black from my house to make the wifi flip to 3g. It did not boot loop.

7) I installed the 4.0.2 update. Your may already have it.

**At this point, I walk a half black from my house to make the wifi flip to 3g. It did not boot loop.

😎 I added my Google account, this only added my contacts. (everytime, and walk away and make sure the wifi flip doesn't force it to boot)
9) I added VZ Backup Assistant, and still good.

SO...right now, the Nexus is running with no problem, and it does not boot loop.

Over the rest of the night , I will being to reinstalling each app one by one and see if the boot loop happens at any point.

But as of right now, it's definitely a software issue related to my backed up account. But what exactly, I don't know.

Hope this works for you if you decide to try it. Remember to make a list of your apps.

0 Likes
Tooch323

I thought I was alone in this situation!!!!  I got my Galaxy Nexus at Best Buy on Friday.  Everything was fine for the entire day, but I sat down to get myself aquainted with it on Friday night.  I pushed the wifi button and it turned off.  It continuously tried to reboot itself but it never turned on.  Needless to say I didn't have a phone all day on Christmas.  I went back to Best Buy this morning andthe phone turned on when I got into the parking lot.  They told me there was a problem with the phone so they gave me a new one.  After I got the new one I went just outside of the parking lot, hit the wifi button and it shut itself down again without restarting.  Once I was in the parking lot again it let me restart it.  SO there's obviously an issue when there is no availale wifi hotspot.  I marched right back in, told him I couldn't deal with this for another 3 hours so he had to find a fix and I'm going back on Wednesday to hear his solution. 

I hate to say this since I really love the phone, but I think I might just return it and get an iphone.

0 Likes
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just wanted everyone to know that VZW isn't planning on doing anything about this.

A little over a week ago I spoke to one of the senior techs at VZ Customer Care. She said she would do more research into the issue, addressing it with Samsung and other senior techs.

Well she called back, today to explain to me that she had been extensively looking into it and VZW has been unable to replicate it or identify such an issue.

The only issue they can find is related to boot looping from customers trying to root their phones, which they do not support.

Basically, they don't plan on doing anything about it.

The fix above may be your only recourse.

Just an FYI.

OH and if you have an opportunity, call VZW tech support (611) and make the agent log it into their internal tech forum.

0 Likes