Re: Galaxy Nexus Rebooting Loop on Wi-Fi...
securitynick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really glad to see this because I'm not the only one.  2 days ago it did this when I was leaving work, it was the same day as the 4G outage, so I had Wi-Fi turned on at work.  As soon as I got in the car it did this, nothing would fix it (didn't try to factory reset at the time).  Immediately took it to Verizon and had them swap it out.  Funny thing about it though is I had unlocked the bootloader (but not rooted yet) so it showed the "unlock" icon at the bottom with the Google splash screen.  The rep helping me said, "looks like you got locked out of Google somehow."  No matter how many times I actually said that it was an "unlock" icon and that it was "unlocked"  he kept saying, "yea, I guess you got locked out of Google."  Then, yesterday, I was leaving my work for lunch and I can't remember if I had Wi-Fi on, but as soon as I got into the car the new phone did it.  I must have had Wi-Fi on at the time given all the responses.  This time though I was in a rush, so I tried to do a factory reset.  Haven't had Wi-Fi on since, so I can't test it yet, but basically I just want to report that I'm yet another person with this issue.  Verizon/Samsung/Google, get it fixed.

0 Likes
davischip

Got my phone yesterday as a replacement for a Bionic. Durning initial, out-of-box setup began having this boot-loop issue. Found that when I take my phone out of range of a wifi router it will stop rebooting. Have to leave wifi off or it will make a popping noise and start rebooting as soon as a wifi network is in range.

Think I'll try and figure out how to replace the glass on my Motorola Bionic.

What a lovely piece of cr*p my Samsung Galaxy Nexus is!

0 Likes
Imperator

Hey, I have the same exact problem. Just got the phone and right out of the box after activating it - tried to turn wi-fi ON. Phone started a reboot loop and the only thing to stop it was removing the battery. Verizon says software update is expected in March, but sorry I can't wait till March to use my phone. Returning it, sorry.

0 Likes
davischip

Found that installing a custom ROM, such as GummyJar, will fix the WiFi issue. Of course now I'll have to re-lock the boot-loader and flash a the stock ROM back if I ever need to use the Warranty. Oh well, what's the worst that can happen; the phone crashes when it gets close to a WiFi router?? That's just crazy talk!

0 Likes
Imperator

Mine did it right after enabling wi-fi in the phone - just like other people posted. And then it goes in cycle non-stop and gets really hot, so you have to get the battery out in order to stop the problem. Then you have to do a master reset every time it occurs. Not so convenient at all...

0 Likes
Ps343

Mine (24 hours after purchase) did the same. I was able to quickly shut off wifi one time it actually booted up completely before it started to reboot again and it isn't rebooting now. And I'm glad because I was going to be VERY upset if I had to factory reset after just getting everything set up how I wanted it.

0 Likes
DrBubba

I had this problem on my new phone, got a replacement, and had the same problem.  Every time I left my driveway it continuously rebooted about half way, turned off, and rebooted over and over.  I brought the phone inside, and it rebooted and worked. 

I followed the above procedure and so far so good.  Where before I could only walk a few yards from my house to instigate the reboot, I've been able to walk a few hundred yards, lose my WiFi signal, go to 4G, and have it work fine.

I've not re-installed anything else.  (I had installed "networK by Philip Mangelow  and "JuiceDefender" by latedroid.  I wonder if these were the problem.  The idea was to keep 4G turned off to save battery.  Everything else I had installed was pretty Vanilla.)

I'll report back in a few days, as I re-install things.  For now, I'll not add anything for the next 24 hours and see how it behaves.

0 Likes
DrBubba

This is in follow up of my post of March 11.  Following to the letter the post of ymDroid (12/22/11). the problem stopped.  For some reason the phone went into this loop whenever I left my home WiFi area.  A factory reset solved the problem.  I have no idea why that might work (It just came form the factory, after all). 

I had two apps installed that might have been the source of the problem.  "Juice Defender" is an app that limits battery use when the phone is not being used.  I've re installed and activated it, and it seems to not be the problem.  I'd also installed a program called "Network" which was supposed to solve the 4G battery-life issue (basically by forcing you to use 3G unless you specifically ask for 4G)  That app looked very "system level" with a very spartan DOS-like interface.  I had used it for a while, but it spooked me with its opacity, so I'd turned it off before entering the reboot loop with the second file.  Nonetheless, I'm suspicous that it might be the problem.  I've not had the nerve to re install it.

Anyway, thanks ymDroid.  Your post was my only hope, and it worked. 

0 Likes