Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
Tidbits
Legend

Some people have reported that pulling the battery and reinserting it gain up to 20% battery life on their meters.  When I tried it I got 2% when I tried it.  So I am assuming my battery was already "calibrated" pretty good, and some people are trouble with the calibration to gain 20% 2-3 times they tried doing it.

I am unsure if this will ultimate fix problems for people, but it may fix it for people who have poor calibration.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus: To return or roll the dice on an update? The issues had by many, the Q's we all ha
Tidbits
Legend

jrh4054 wrote:

Instead of continuing to write these books, why don't you just call Big Red and find out what's going on with the Nexus and when they expect to have it fixed.  If I were in this situation and paid $300 for the phone, I'd dump it and get one that works. 

few things...

1.  Updates come from Google... No if ands or buts.  Verizon wouldn't have a clue on what Google is doing.

2.  4.0.3 which Google is working on is supposed to fix some bugs, and other things.

3.  Not every device is going to work 100% no matter which device you buy.  

4.  Software deadlines are the WORST thing you can do.  If you want something done right the first time then you will have to wait. You will never get something other than "soon"  You won't know what will happen throughout all phases of programming.

So ultimately...  Big Red isn't going to have a clue.  You need to bring it up with Google when it comes to their Nexus Line.  If you don't like the answer or non-answer from Google then yes it might be best to dump it and get something else.

0 Likes
budmonster

Has anyone returned the GNEX for a differnet phone? If so, what did you get and have your "signal" problems been fixed?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

budmonster wrote:

Has anyone returned the GNEX for a differnet phone? If so, what did you get and have your "signal" problems been fixed?

The GNEX is supposed to be a developers device first, and the bar setter.  Chances are 90% of the devices coming forward will have more "spec" for the buck than the Nexus.  Also connectivity for the 4G network will get better because of this device.  This is where the source for all the code will come from this point forward.

So in all honesty... You waited this long and you might as well go back to your previous device if you haven't sold it or gave it away, and wait a few more months for something that'll come out with ICS, and blow the pants out of the Rezound, or Nexus.

0 Likes
Crawlnstall
I purchased my Nexus on the 19th and have been super happy with it. I haven't had any 4G connection issues, no resets, no volume issues or anything. Only issue I've really had has been battery related. I keep all data off when I don't need it, and I still lose a good amount of battery just texting and light gaming. I know the screen is a battery eater, but it feels like other things are killing the battery. I try and keep the backround apps killed, but still battery seems to be a little low. I was expecting to have a short battery life, so I'm not surprised or mad, just wish it'd be nice to have great battery life
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
You don't need to keep the background apps closed... that uses more battery than leaving them alone.
0 Likes
BobbyDigi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick update: I finally got around to exchanging my erroneous Nexus tonight for a brand new one. One I was told came from an entirely newer batch then those that dropped on launch day. I get home tonight with my new GNex and what do ya know? It cant pick up a 3G signal. AT ALL. I've decided that until the tech gets better as well as 4g coverage in my area, its better to just leave it in 3g mode, unless im watching a movie online or something. Theres just no need. My prior nexus had issues with 3G signals as well, in that it would drop them, go down to 1X and eventually come back to 3G, but at least it could lock on to a signal from time to time. This new phone is incapable of getting a 3G signal. Not a "good" 3g signal, but any 3g signal at all. Its just disgusting. I'll be taking it back tomorrow and will give it one more go but my confidence in this seemingly "POS" device is less than steller. I know people have ones that dont have any issues and they love em, but there does seem to be a great number of ones floating around that seemed to have been built very poorly, with almost no QC testing at all. You think they wouldnt let this new one off the assembly line, seeing that it cant get a 3G signal of any kind, but it seems like they just went with the "quantity over quality" MO. I saw a rezound while waiting for help at the store today and I suppose thats the next viable phone to get if the next nexus doesnt work. Its pathetic though: Im in no way a fan of the rezound (beats by dre branding is just that: branding, its horrible tech, though I used to think Samsung was good, so...). Its got an amazing screen but I still like the size of the nexus' over the rezounds brightness. The most important thing though is that HTC makes great radios and saying that Samsung isnt up to par with their radios is a gross, gross understatement. I just want my Nexus...you know...to work...the way a top tier phone should work. We shall see.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Bobby it isnt the hardware... It never was... It's the authentification scheme of the new network, mixed trying to use the old scheme.

0 Likes
BobbyDigi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits, I see what your saying and totally agree. It makes things that much more complicated when you have a hybrid 3G/4G radio, thats always switching. With my limited LTE experience up to this point, it seems like itd be better to have only ONE radio per device, like a 4G phone with only a 4G radio. Yet that obviously cant happen as the tech and network is just too new. This is why the newest and "greatest" iphones are still only HSPA+, I believe; apple knows its just not yet established/stable enough. When I said hardware, I was more along the lines of QC. Im just totally tripped out that one nexus could establish a 3G connection alright (less the other issues with the device) while the newer one cant establish a 3G connection at all. Furthermore theres a thread on here regarding nexus owners getting speeds like 30Mbs+ in places like Mechanicsville, Virginia and Lawrance KS (that one kills me. no one in Kansas should be getting those speeds, though if theres only one guy on it, it makes sense that such speeds are possible). My 4G area is fairly new but its decent and now with the 2nd go, I cant establish a 4G connection or a 3G to save my life (still havent raised a 3G since 8 last night & 4G craps out within seconds; the 1st phone's radio seemed better, less the reboots and still horribly unacceptable radio). Just confusing. Im beginning to think that the only place you should buy this phone is if you live in Lawrance Kansas or the backwoods of Virgina, etc. That or if your just incredibly lucky. Two phones and both defective, to some extent, I thought much more of google. If I lived where there wasnt any type of signal thatd be one thing but my incredible destroys this thing, per signal reliability and even in the store itself, there was the difference of about 20-30Dbm between the GNex's and all other LTE phones. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

BobbyDigi wrote:

Tidbits, I see what your saying and totally agree. It makes things that much more complicated when you have a hybrid 3G/4G radio, thats always switching. With my limited LTE experience up to this point, it seems like itd be better to have only ONE radio per device, like a 4G phone with only a 4G radio. Yet that obviously cant happen as the tech and network is just too new. This is why the newest and "greatest" iphones are still only HSPA+, I believe; apple knows its just not yet established/stable enough. When I said hardware, I was more along the lines of QC. Im just totally tripped out that one nexus could establish a 3G connection alright (less the other issues with the device) while the newer one cant establish a 3G connection at all. Furthermore theres a thread on here regarding nexus owners getting speeds like 30Mbs+ in places like Mechanicsville, Virginia and Lawrance KS (that one kills me. no one in Kansas should be getting those speeds, though if theres only one guy on it, it makes sense that such speeds are possible). My 4G area is fairly new but its decent and now with the 2nd go, I cant establish a 4G connection or a 3G to save my life (still havent raised a 3G since 8 last night & 4G craps out within seconds; the 1st phone's radio seemed better, less the reboots and still horribly unacceptable radio). Just confusing. Im beginning to think that the only place you should buy this phone is if you live in Lawrance Kansas or the backwoods of Virgina, etc. That or if your just incredibly lucky. Two phones and both defective, to some extent, I thought much more of google. If I lived where there wasnt any type of signal thatd be one thing but my incredible destroys this thing, per signal reliability and even in the store itself, there was the difference of about 20-30Dbm between the GNex's and all other LTE phones. 

Some people when they look at their Charge for example they see -80db, and on their Nexus -110db.  They think something is wrong...  Charge is showing 3G while the Nexus  is showing 4G.  If you use Samsung utility took the Charge has a 4G signal str of around -110db give or take a few.  Same goes for any 4G device other than the Nexus.

0 Likes