Re: Galaxy Nexus battery drain after 4.2.2 update
mzjts

2-3 hours for a brand new battery.  This is outrageous.  I had to delete my corporate email account because Exchange was taking up 55% of the battery use.  They've got until April 11 to fix this, or I'm going back to the iPhone.

Same here!  Holy How.  Screenshot_2013-03-26-17-17-58.png

0 Likes
DrNeon

I had the exact same batter drain problem happen to me today after installing the 4.2.2. OTA update.  I got prompted to install the update shortly after 9am this morning (90% battery) and my phone was dead by noon after zero usage. I left it off and charged it for an hour in the afternoon, getting the battery up to 25%.  After powering back on it was dead again in less than an hour.

Tonight after again plugging it back in I noticed Exchange reporting 57% battery usage.  I've since deleted and re-added my Exchange account, and am really hopping that fixes it.  We'll see what happens tomorrow, but certainly not a happy customer right now.

0 Likes
AW2

I did the uninstall exchange, sim and reinstalled sim and exchange,it is hot too,  and now my phone won't take a charge when plugged in! WTF!  I had put in a 100%  battery before bed, plugged in and it was down to 16% when I woke, and now it is plugged in again and it is going down still. 

I'd previously uninstalled exchange, and reinstalled exhange, still had the battery drain in 2 hours.

It shows exchange as 4% so there are others  more than that. Screen and Android OS are the main ones.

I just don't know what to do.

0 Likes
dogbyte

As near as I can figure there is an issue with the 4.2.2 update and the exchange services at least with certain exchange server configurations and upgrading the corporate settings during the 4.2.2 update.   After the 4.2.2 update and it upgrades the corporate account settings something is not right in the updated settings causing the exchange services on the local phone to continuously run using a huge amount of processing time and quickly draining the battery.   This also causes the area near the top of the phone to become very hot.

I was able to fix my problem by disabling the exchange services, removing the corporate account, shutting down, removing sim card for 10 seconds (likley not needed), restarting and re-adding corporate account.   Phone is now operating normally, exchange services not running abnormally and no battery drain.

0 Likes
edevries

Just a heads up for those who are seeing battery drain but don't use Exchange:  I saw someone on another forum mention that there was a problem with HD Widgets where it would constantly crash and restart, pegging the CPU at constant ~100% usage (with corresponding heat-up of the phone).  I'm not sure of exactly what part of HD Widgets was causing the issue, but when I uninstalled it, the problem instantly disappeared.  CPU usage dropped to normal, and it's charging at a normal rate again.

0 Likes
AW2

Thanks edevries, I'll do that, I see I have HD widgets too.  Also, I see that I can now charge on my computer or car, while before it would drain too fast to keep up.  I'd done the major exchange uninstall and reinstall.

I've just unistalled HD widgets.  fingers crossed...

0 Likes
zoner1yo

My battery drain has been fixed! My CPU was constantly at 90-100% (making the phone extemely hot). It turns out that HD Widgets app was the problem. They released update 3.9.1 (Fixes for CPU spikes in 3.9 release). Now the phone is back to normal. I would suggest using "System Panel App / Task Manager" app. I was able to tell when the CPU issues started, and figured it was from app updates on Monday morning. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
AW2

Yahoo!!!  Between the HD Widgets and Exchange, my phone is way back to normal, and even better!   So not sure which it was, but I did both and now it is good.

Later in the day:  Seriously, my battery is just at 87% 3:30pm and normally it would be down to about 60 % or less.

0 Likes
rphi808

It's been a couple days since I started this post.  My phone battery is now performing noticeably better than before the update.  Deleting then re-installing Exhange helped the most but I also had to remove several "full contact" widgets and re-install them.  Interesting that the Direct Dial widgets I had didn't cause a problem.

0 Likes
mzjts

I did a full factory reset and have not recreated my corporate exchange

account. The heat is gone but battery life is still noticeably worse than

before the update. I lost 20% of battery life over a half-hour lunch just

answering email and checking the news. I have not installed HD widgets.

Display takes up 52% of battery use. Notable was losing 15% of battery

life when the phone was in sleep and airplane mode for 2 hours.

0 Likes