Re: Galaxy Nexus dropping calls/connection, no customer service!
k2r
Enthusiast - Level 2

I love the detailed comparison (you don't get that on the shop page comparing).  What do you think of the RazrM? If the screen res is better, I actually prefer the smaller/lighter size this offers.  The reported battery life looks as good as the Maxx, too.  My son loves his S3, but I don't see having any luck requesting that and while lighter than the Nexus, it's a bigger in the hand/pocket.

0 Likes
Bishyaler
Enthusiast - Level 1

Between my wife's and my nexus, we are also on our 4th phones.  

Terrible signal & battery life, radio drops, data drops, phone gets hot doing nothing, microphone cutting out mid-call. Customer service refuses to send us a different, working phone.  

I already filed a Better Business Bureau complaint.  Next will be the FCC.   Then my 30-50 friends I helped talk into using Verizon Wireless service.  I will continue this until I get what I paid for: working devices.

0 Likes
Teelo7

Things just got way jacked up with my Nexus. My story...........

I purchased my Nexus on launch day. I was very excited to be able to get a Nexus on Verizon. I think most people were probably questioning a Nexus on Verizon(I know I was) but I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.  I never really had any problems with it. All the hardware and software seemed to be good except for the slow auto rotate and landscape keyboard lag. The update helped with that issue. I live in Indiana a little southwest of Indy. I don't get a super strong 4g signal at home but I could pull it in most of the time. The switching back and forth wasn't very quick, but I was dealing with it ok.  It wasn't horrible. Never had many dropped calls or any signal loss. I guess I was lucky. When I found out that Jelly Bean was hitting on the other versions....I did the thing that was super cool!   Although, it was very frustrating to be waiting on an official update. So I'm thinking to myself that it really isn't much of a surprise. I think everyone knew that a Nexus on Verizon was not gonna be the experience it SHOULD be. But I kept thinking as long as a non-Nexus device doesnt officially get it first, I'm gonna hang in there, lol. Well, here is where it gets ugly. I was forced to not be able to hang in there! Beginning on Sunday night, my Nexus COMPLETELY lost signal. I had an empty signal with an X in it and occasionally an R next to it. It was stuck on searching for service and I could not make or receive calls or texts. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. I was without a phone all day Monday and took my phone in Monday evening to a retailer to look at it. They tried their troubleshooting and could not figure it out or fix it. I paid 13.00 for an overnight replacement (as I am still under warranty). As they were getting everything ready for me, I happened to go look at their floor model and lo and behold THEIR FLOOR MODEL DID NOT HAVE A SIGNAL EITHER!! I told them about it and they had no idea why. They thought maybe it needed a new SIM. I knew at that point, something weird was going on.  I got the replacement on Tuesday and activated it. I was then able to get 3g, but not 4g. It would say that I was picking up 4g signal, but when I went to the browser or tried to make a call, it wouldn't connect and would drop to no signal again with an X inside. I had to go back to the store on Tuesday evening to let them know the replacement phone wasn't doing right either. They went through about 2-4 SIM cards and still no go on the replacement phone. So now there was my original phone (which has been sent back) that didn't get any signal at all, their model that had no signal at all and the replacement that was only connecting to the network on 3g. Now it was time to figure out what phone I was going to have to replace it with. An even replacement was going to be a RAZR. ummmm.........no thank you, that will NOT DO! The Razr has a lower resolution, a smaller screen, no removeable battery, no NFC, no android Beam and would be a HUGE downgrade. I had expected to be let down and not be happy leaving the store, but to my surprise...it was the opposite. I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for 14 1/2 years! That's right, BEFORE they were even officially Verizon. I am not a problem customer and they know that. I am a great customer and of course would expect them to be a great provider. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. What IS fortunate is that I had an available upgrade and representatives and managers at my local store that were super kind and super helpful and understanding.  Which is the way it should be in every store. I'm not going to go into everything that was done, but I used my nexus for a trade in, used an upgrade, paid a difference and walked out with a Galaxy S3 (16gb). Since I had the box with tags and accessories I purchased for the Nexus, they even let me exchange those for S3 accessories. I was very willing to do what I needed to avoid massively downgrading to a Razr. I know some cannot do that and they should be able to upgrade instead of downgrade as long as the phone is still under warranty. What a  MESS this so called Nexus has turned out to be. If they ever carry another one I would probably fall over! I wonder what's gonna happen with the GNex2? I've also heard that each manufacturer will soon have a Nexus too. Who knows what that's gonna be like. The Nexus was a decent phone. I loved the onscreen soft keys, the circle icons and icon grouping that you could name. I loved the size, feel and the look of the curved display. Even being the avid Android user that I am, I learned quickly that a device can be the best in the world with tons of bells and whistles and the greatest thing, but worth absolutely nothing if you can't use it for what it's for. It's like having a souped up expensive sports car sitting in the drive with no engine. I can't say I regret giving the Nexus a chance, but having the S3 now that is working properly and has a solid 4g signal, I'm just gonna put it all behind me and move on. What I'm curious to know is that if anyone else here in Indiana around the Indy and surrounding areas have experienced the same complete signal loss. Never had a problem until this week! Anyway, good luck to you all who want to or have to keep your Nexus. Hopefully the update will happen very soon and make everything the way it should be. I couldn't wait it out anymore with absolutely no signal. I don't have a home phone and I care for little ones during the day. The S3 will get Jellybean soon anyway.

0 Likes
k2r
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a rep call this week and offer an early upgrade even though I'm a year out, but I've spent over $450 on this phone, and nothing but the car charger would transfer over to anothr phone!  Plus the $200 cost of the G3.  You said you traded in the Nexus. What did they charge you extra?  I think this is a Samsung issue, for all those ragging on Verizon, but don't we deal with Samsung THROUGH Verizon?   Like they have to support what they sell? Idk, I got the direct number to Samsung and for now I've switched to straight CDMA to see how that works.  I doubt my extended warranty would cover a different phone and while it's great they let you exchange whatever accessories, doubt all stores will do that unless it's a universal memo from headquarters. I mean, my $20 screen saver was shot after removing it the first time, I just haven't replaced it (luckily since I'm on phone #5), and the extra battery/charger I got while waiting for first replacement is an expensive item that most phones don't offer (and a royal pain to have to use daily, as well).  But a phone that cost us $299 plus accessories, plus $99 insurance, shouldn't have to be taken off 4G or having 20-70% lack of connection for calls, texts and web.

0 Likes
NashVol

Basically same issue here...I have a G.Nexus with a broken pixel and decide to exchange it for another since it is still under warranty.  They have sent me three, yes, THREE refurbs and all of them have had connection issues.  The rep told me it was an application issue, but it clearly it wasn't...on the 2nd replacement they made me delete everything and it still didn't work...on the third replacement I tried using the device out of the box without updating any apps.  Verizon is wasting my time here...I am a new customer to Verizon and I definitely plan on filing a complaint...this is sounding more and more like a class action lawsuit with the number of threads and blogs I have read with this issue.

0 Likes
sox02
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, this brings up a beef I have.  I also have a cracked screen. Recently my Nexus tells me about once a day that my SIM card has been removed and the phone needs to restart.  I have also had charging problems.  If I go into the store they agree these are issues that they would normally ship it back under warranty and get me another one, but won't since the screen is cracked.  If you ask me, this is BS.  What does a cracked screen have to do with the phone being unable to read the SIM card?!  It is just an excuse as far as I am concerned.  Has anyone ever been successful in getting a phone replaced for other issues with a cracked screen?

0 Likes
dhayes00

Same connection problems here also. I am on my 3rd GNex and all of them have had the same connection problems. I go from full blue bars, to gray bars, to an X, back to blue. My signal bounces around, not just at my house, but everywhere in the state of NJ. There are times where I have no connection while on WiFi, and im standing 3 feet from my router...The GNex is an absolute abortion...

0 Likes
dhayes00

UPDATE:

Just called customer service yesterday and talked to a level 2 tech. He saw that I went through 4 replacement phones and offered me a Razr MAXX as a replacement for my Nexus. I gladly accepted. Of course I would have loved to keep my Nexus and just have the thing work, but thats just not the case. If anyone else is having signal issues like I am, I suggest you continue to get replacement phones, and call customer service after a few phones and get a new phone. It will never stop. Or you could just sell the Nexus on ebay, and use that money to break contract or buy another phone that actually works. The phone call lasted about 15min total, including holding. Overall, it was actually a really good experience.

0 Likes