Re: Galaxy Nexus dropping calls/connection, no customer service!
EmmVee

Just wanted everyone to know.  After months of dropped calls with my nexuses, my wife and I made the call and swapped to the razr maxx.  All I can say is wow.  I get service !  I have not dropped a call at all.  With the nexus I would drop signal about 30 times a day.  The no signal alert app is a great tool to download.  The battery life of the maxx is unbelievable.  It lasts all day with even 4g turned on I take my phone off at 5 in the morning and plug it up a 10 and still have 50 percent left.  I am glad Verizon swapped the phones for us.  The day i was completely fed up when I called Verizon was completely unhelpful he told me the nexus was a fine phone and my area was the problem and told me he would not change me phones, he was extremely rude.   After speaking with a different representative after all the calls and swap she decided to swap me out.   I like others wanted the nexus because its a beautiful phone.....but the issues were bad...I cannot believe I kept it for 4 months.  The galaxy nexus has huge issues ,,, so if you can get the Razr Maxx so glad we did. once you get the phone the screen difference will not be noticeable after using it.  I cannot believe I am saying this because I am a Samsung fan and never liked Motorola phones.....But Razr Maxx all the way!!!!!!

0 Likes
mel56

my husband and i just got the nexus last friday.  i am already fed up with the dropped calls and no service.  my daughter has an i phone.  she will get service and i won't and we will be sitting right next to each other!! after reading your post, seriously thinking of going and switching mine out.  still within the 14 days. 

0 Likes
kabull
Contributor - Level 1

Run, don't walk and return the phone for a different model.  Many of us have had this issues since December.  We were promised that 4.0.4 would make it all better.  My phone is worse.  Terrible signal strength leads to dropped calls, static in all calls, calls becoming robotic etc.  It's not where I live, thats been verified by Verizon.  It happens everywhere.  I have had five certified like new replacements and they all had this problem and some of them had even more problems.  I was offered a Droid Bionic as a replacement......Geez.  This is one frustrating phone.  I have been trying to do some business over the phone this am and can't sustain a call longer than five minutes.  Either the call drops, or they can't understand me or I can't understand them.  Everyone else in my house has an I phone with no problems and great call clarity. 

0 Likes
TMatty

I bought my Verizon phone from Best Buy (way better deals and insurance). Originally had the LG Lucid, actually was a pretty decent phone except for the battery life which is even worse than most 4G phones out. Anyways... The last day I was able to do a return option the Galaxy Nexus magically drops to free w/ 2 year contract.  So of course me and my girlfriend who had the Stratosphere both exchanged for the Nexus.

I come home very pleased and I thought everything was fine, I was connected to my homes WiFi so I downloading apps just fine.  Then I tried texting some friends a little later on and noticed I was getting failure to send errors and noticed the problem with dropping service all together (Calls, data, everything).  Thought it could of been a Verizon service issue but my girl friend's Nexus is working fine. So  I go back to best buy and looks at it.  He messes with settings (I'm fairly knowledgeable about android and I knew it wasn't a settings problem) he realize it was a hardware issue and gives me a new one (which isn't fast).  He tells me while setting up the phone "The chances of this one not working is astronomical so if you have any problems its on Verizons end."  Soon after he activates it, again same problem.  He calls Verizon, they couldn't do anything about it and said they will do a full investigation that could take 24 to 72 hours.  I am pretty disappointed at this point.  So I leave the store with a phone that can't keep a service connection for more than 2 minutes. 

When I get home I decided to switch sim cards with my girl friends phone just to see if its the phone or the service.  And what do you know her phone with my sim card works fine.  Used it for over and hour with no problem.  So obviously that tells me it is not a service problem but a hardware problem. 

I go back to Best Buy for a 3rd time.  This time a manager helps me.  I show him the problem he says "well we can't do another exchange we already did 2 phones but I'll switch the sim card."  I told him my sim card works fine in my girls phone so its obviously not the sim card.  So he gets a new sim card anyways and took a new phone out just to try it out, but realized with with Verizon you have to activate the phone and everything.  So since he already had the phone out he decided to give me another exchange(rightfully so).  Got the new phone, used it for a bit with no problem...then service drops.  I'm pissed.

So I take the NFC off and it never had a problem again!  I'm not sure if that is the reason, because I turned the setting back on after a few hours of not having any problems and I still didn't have any problems with NFC on.  I also don't know if the initial service drop with the 3rd phone was just a coincidental error or what.  But 3 Galaxy Nexus in one day (ruined my day off) at least I finally have one that works.  I don't know how just a few people can do numerous exchanges and have the same problem and most people don't have this problem.  It is very weird, its definitely not a "common problem"  but the GNex is a great device, I absolutely love it.  For the people having this on going problem I would try the NFC setting and see if that works,

I also don't know if the initial service drop with the 3rd phone was just a coincidental error or what.  But 3 Galaxy Nexus in one day (ruined my day off) at least I finally has one that works.

>Post edited to remove 3 paragraphs that were duplicated. Also edited to comply with VZW ToS. Discussions concerning rooting is not permitted on this site<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
memb01

I wish I had read this forum before getting this phone.  I am on my tird one in two months, which is just horrible.  I evn called Samsung about the issue and of course the lady said she wasn't aware of any problems.  I will be filing complaints with everyone I can if this is not resolved.

0 Likes
ronban
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally called and spoke with VZW technical reps on 2 separate occasions about my GNex 4G connection issues. There was an attempt to resolve the issue during the first call by sending an updated signal/code to the phone. The next call, which was 2 days later, after realizing that the first attempt to resolve the issue didn't help at all, I requested to exchange my GNex for a Razr Maxx instead taking any chances of receiving another GNex with similar issues. I receive the the Razr Maxx today, and so far, so good. After all I've been through with those constant 4G connection issues with the GNex, I am more than satisfied with the Razr Maxx.

0 Likes
k2r
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had no connection problems other than with my camera if it wasn't closed out of background apps for7 months.  The charge port got bent somehow making me have to buy an extra battery with charger while waiting for refurb phone replacement. I called in for my third replacement today bc of this connectivity issue, which last time I was told is NOT a common issue they know of and the Nexus is one of their best phones.  Today I thought I'd do a little search before calling in again.  CR rep quickly offered to replace with a Razr.  Is that a Razr Maxx? I asked.  No, the Razr is what is comperable to my phone. Says it originally sold for $299 like the Nexus (doubt THAT!) and technically it's an upgrade bc it's newer.  I don't consider 1-6 months "newer" unless it's in the same phone line, like iPhone 4 vs 4s.  How can something with half the memory and lower price tag be comperable?  I really wanted this Nexus for the benefits that were so great with being ICS, no bloatware (I know nothing about rooting), first for upgrades from Google and Samsung, etc.  Love the screen, camera's a little disappointing. Spent over $300 with a company discount including the insurance.  Don't know if the insurance would even transfer to a new phone and don't really want to spend another $100, plus new case and screen saver. Fingers crossed the next refurb doesn't come from one of you guys!!

0 Likes
MrJLJohnson

I have the same problems.  I am getting ready to get my 4th galaxy nexus.  I hate when they act like they are unfamiliar with this problem! 

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem, and went through multiple Galaxy Nexus phones.  I ended up cracking my screen so I could no longer get replacements. The quick fix I found was to disable the LTE Radio.  Go to Settings > Under "Wireless & Networks" select "More" > Select "Mobile Networks" > tap "Network Mode" > Change the selection from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA."  You will only get 3G data speeds but when I did this I had no problems with data or call drops.

The only consolation I can offer is that IF Verizon EVER decides to upgrade all phones to Build number JRO03L (or later) it will include a radio update that should help the issue considerably for most users.  This shouldn't be too long off since the GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus received Jelly Bean (4.1.1) almost two months ago, and historically with the 4.0.4 update the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was update about two months after the GSM version.  It could be longer though since it was about 3 months after 4.0.4 source was released until the update and 4.1.1 code was only released July 9th. 

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would definitely argue that the RAZR or RAZR MAXX is not an upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus for multiple reasons.  First is the processor the RAZR models have the TI OMAP 4430 processor and the Galaxy Nexus has a TI OMAP 4460 processor.  To date the Galaxy Nexus has the top of the line TI OMAP processor available in a U.S. phone.  The only comparable processor available on Verizon would be the top of the line Snapdragon processor (The S4).  Anything else would be a lesser processor and a downgrade.  Also not to mention the Galaxy Nexus sports stock Android which is faster and more responsive than any other OEM skin (Blur, Sense, Touchwiz).  ICS was built with the Galaxy Nexus in mind they are optimized for one another. Second the RAZR has a 4.3" screen with a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels (pixel density of 256 ppi) and a pesky problem with dark splotches on a black screen in a dark room (According to Verizon and Motorola this is "normal").  The Galaxy Nexus has a 4.65" screen with a resolution of 1280x720 (pixel density of 316 ppi).  The Galaxy Nexus also comes with NFC capability, and the RAZR does not.  The only thing the RAZR has that makes it look like an upgrade on paper is the 8MP camera as opposed to the 5MP camera on the Galaxy Nexus.  However the Megapixels is merely the size of the image in pixels (and the number of sensor elements).  The Galaxy Nexus has a superior lens and I have yet to see a camera review that did not choose the Galaxy Nexus over the Droid RAZR.  The Nexus has won hands down. 

Just my little reasons why I would definitely not accept the Droid RAZR as a comparable replacement over my Galaxy Nexus. 

0 Likes