Re: Galaxy Nexus not pure Google experience
Tidbits
Legend

bwk5150 wrote:

This might help you out   "Those eager to buy the Google Galaxy Nexus in order to use its near-field communications chip for their shopping needs may be disappointed. Verizon — the only official carrier for the phone — has said that it will not support Google Wallet in its phones. Google confirmed that Verizon asked the company not to include the feature in the Galaxy Nexus phone."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/samsung-galaxy-nexus-launch-will-not-include-google-wallet-sa...

That is one of a hundred confirmations Verizon SAID NOOOOOOOOO to Google!  As for who questioned my comment on Verizon on the law violation will try to find yout the actually but they have to give equal access to competitors to their network.  Or they violate antitrust laws.

"According to van Schewick, Verizon’s action appears to violate FCC license-conditions on Verizon’s LTE spectrum that forbid Verizon to block applications or devices. Google Wallet is a mobile payments application based on near-field communications technology that includes payments, customer loyalty, and mobile deals. Verizon, van Schewick says, has the anticompetitive incentive to violate its license conditions and block Google Wallet because it has partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to launch a competing mobile payment service called ISIS, expected next year. And she says, there are no technical justifications for Verizon’s behavior, as Google Wallet has been operating without incident on an earlier version of the Galaxy Nexus offered by Sprint.

STANFORD, Calif.,  December 19, 2011— Barbara van Schewick, professor of law and (by courtesy) electrical engineering  at Stanford University, and faculty director of the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School, today filed a letter with the Federal Communications Commission urging it to investigate Verizon Wireless for blocking Google Wallet on Verizon’s new Galaxy Nexus smartphone.

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/newsfeed/2011/12/19/net-neutrality-scholar-barbara-van-schewick-urges-...

As I said it is being challenged already and I guarentee Verizon will either cave or lose in court.  Any other questions :smileyhappy:

From your snippet of information... This is IMPORTANT which YOUR article left out
"According to van Schewick, Verizon’s action appears to violate FCC license-conditions on Verizon’s LTE spectrum that forbid Verizon to block applications or devices."
Have you read those conditions?  Barbra van Schewick will lose sorry she doesn't even know her own law.  There is a security issue that needs to be fixed with wallet.  If Verizon proves this Barbra doesn't have a leg to stand on.  Read up on it instead of regurgatating some article that will leave things out just to get people riled up and continue to drive taffic.  They need money you know...
So show me what is happening behind closed doors.  Honestly, THINK about it.  Google spent BILLIONS of dollars compaigning for Block C rules...  If Verizon was violating it...  Wouldn't Google be first in line to talk to the FCC?
0 Likes
bwk5150
Enthusiast - Level 3

So show me what is happening behind closed doors.  Honestly, THINK about it.  Google spent BILLIONS of dollars compaigning for Block C rules...  If Verizon was violating it...  Wouldn't Google be first in line to talk to the FCC?

That is easy because Google cant they need Verizon can Google afford to alienate the biggest network  from Android?  No that is why they are allowing people to do it for them.  They cant afford to risk the relationship with Verizon.  

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

bwk5150 wrote:

That is easy because Google cant they need Verizon can Google afford to alienate the biggest network  from Android?  No that is why they are allowing people to do it for them.  They cant afford to risk the relationship with Verizon.  

To think that Verizon would take the phone of choice away from probably a majority of its subscribers is just ludicrous!

0 Likes
bwk5150
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree but Verizon from my view is arrogant they know they have the network so they don't care.  I have yet so see any ads or displays in store for the Nexus.  I have been in two stores.  THey hate no having all their bloatware and not having control over the phone!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Nope... Google does fine without Verizon. What happened to ALL those people complaining and was going to jump to AT&T or T-Mobile when they get the Galaxy Nexus? That
It has already been pointed out that ALL the previous Nexi have all had bloat of some sort and we are NOT talking Google apps.
It's a MAJOR misconception on what a Google Experience device is.
0 Likes
Datta

bwk5150 wrote:

I agree but Verizon from my view is arrogant they know they have the network so they don't care.  I have yet so see any ads or displays in store for the Nexus.  I have been in two stores.  THey hate no having all their bloatware and not having control over the phone!

Of Course Verizon doesn't care overall. They pull in Billions upon Billions a year. Their bloatware thou annoying to see is just apart of having their service, but pretty much any branded device for any carrier has the crap on it so not much we can do besides {edited to comply with Terms of Service}

or find a developer device that comes with just the basics on it like the orginals back in the day.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Here's a PRIME example of people not knowing what "Google Experience" means...

The G2X is classified as a Google Experience device...  Guess what... It has T-Mobile stuff on it...

It doesn't have every Google Application preinstalled, and it doesn't have Voice integration.

It is not updated by Google

There are other devices classed the same and is the same above.

Even the Original Droid which spurred the Android craze fits the above.

There is NO such thing as a "Pure" Google Experience...

Nexus One had bloatware.  It had AmazonMP3, Twitter, Facebook(I believe a few other apps as well), and didn't have every Google app installed.  The above apps couldn't be uninstalled without voiding your warranty.

The Nexus S has some bloat, The 4G version has Sprint bloat. Only the Nexus S 4G can install all Google apps(Wallet can't be installed by the 3G version without going around the market).  The apps couldn't be installed without voiding your warranty.

It's people spreading their thoughts beyond Google's intention.  

0 Likes
Pman5K

>

<Re: Galaxy Nexus not pure Google experience

<correct you need a paypass enabled mastercard, or you can buy a "Google" prepaid credit card.  

In otherwords you either need to have one of a handful of credit/debit cards, or get the google prepaid one. On top of that, even in the big cities I don't see very many merchants who support it yet either. I mean is being tied in with a certain credit card company or paying google to spend your own money worth the negligable time savings? It seems like it would benefit women more (digging in purses for wallet, or grabbing phone quickly) as opposed to men (most can get to their wallet or phone just as quick) not to mention having to select payment card (if you have multiple) and scan it, as opposed to just grabbing he card and swiping it.

Google Wallet is much like a solution to a manufactured problem. Sure it is innovative, however, would you really want to trust having your card information stored on your mobile device? You certainly hear about smartphones getting hacked (how else do we get all those nude celeb photos?) and hackers are always one step ahead of the game as it is. It is much harder to hack a mag stripe on a physical card. Google Wallet will become relevant when they start putting your drivers license in that wallet....

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wow Tidbits good info an heck of an eye opener agreed! An it makes you wonder whats coming Next.! :smileyvery-happy: B33 

0 Likes