Galaxy Nexus - will it be global-ready?
npnp8282

Now that Google/Samsung and even Verizon have officially announced the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, does anyone know if this will be the first 4G LTE device that is capable of globa-roaming on GSM?

I was ready to get the iphone4S due to lack of the galaxy sii on verizon and my need for global-roaming, but if the galaxy nexus is to be the 1st with this spec, then I would be willing to wait...

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus - will it be global-ready?
marytzee

npnp8282 wrote:

Now that Google/Samsung and even Verizon have officially announced the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, does anyone know if this will be the first 4G LTE device that is capable of globa-roaming on GSM?

I was ready to get the iphone4S due to lack of the galaxy sii on verizon and my need for global-roaming, but if the galaxy nexus is to be the 1st with this spec, then I would be willing to wait...

I would like to know if the Galaxy Nexus will be global ready as well. I think I saw something a while back and do not think it is going to be global ready on Verizon. There is a GSM version of the phone out in Europe but I don't think Verizon is going to have the global phone available.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

No.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
What he said. The phone is CDMA and it doesn't have a GSM radio to roam. You best option is to import the European Version or wait until AT&T gets their version sometime next year(this version will not work on T-Mobile USA 3G/HSPA network only 3G)
0 Likes
AMGIIP

For those who are traveling overseas and need to use their Samsung Galaxy Nexus abroad, you will not be able to use the towers/roam in areas like Turkey and United Kingdom.  However, that did not prevent me from being able to access Wi-Fi networks.  I was at my in-law's home in Turkey, charged my phone which I could not use to call people, but I was able to use Wi-Fi and receive emails.  I turned on my Skype app and was able to see my brother-in-law downstairs.  I had been told by Verizon Wireless representative that I would not be able to access Wi-Fi with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, so I was going to temporarily switch to my old Windows based GSM phone, but did not have time to do this before my trip.

0 Likes