Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

bitkahuna..

Ok, so let's do the math on my current month utilities..

Dish = $81.99, Internet = $19.99, ComEd = $43.56, For a total of $145.54... For grins, let's add my only other utility bill in, Natural gas = $35.86. For a grand total of all my utility bills this month = $181.40.

Now my two line family plan, 10Gb, Unlimited, 1 Edge payment, 2 Assourion, 1 Family Companion, This month = $230.86.

So indeed, other than my rent and car payment, my cell phone bill is higher than all my other monthlies combined.

Thanks for playing, glad you think your bill is great.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Bigsteelguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tax Return? I don't pay taxes, and havn't for years. It means much more money on my paychecks. No the IRS can go [removed] themselves in my opinion. They are a criminal agency and don't even deserve a penny. Anyway i do agree, Verizon sells us lemons, and updates it 3 times and then stops. I can't blame Samsung, as they released it for other carriers and they all updated their phones, but Verizon never did. AS this update solves many of the bugs and issues with Android 5.0.1.

So technically you can't blame Samsung for everything, If i were you, i would blame Google for pushing out an unfinished buggy OS. Verizon is also to blame as they rather wait to the last minute to update their phones. I think my last update was August of 2015 and that was 6 months ago. That is far too long without some sort of update. That is why many of us Note4 users are [removed]. We expect far better support for our phones on a monthly basis. I mean apps get updated like twice a week at times, but they can't update our phones once a month?

Samsung does make some great products, and the Note4 is my most favorite one, i'm just using the wrong carrier. I don't mind Touchwiz, as there are better launchers you can get, that are fast and smooth. If you want pure Android experience on the Note4, just download KK Launcher. Truly an awesome app. L Launcher is pretty decent as well.

I thought about getting a Nexus 6 last year instead of the Note4, but i prefer to have that pen, and i loved my Note2 at the time. I plan on getting the Note6 with a different carrier this year, or maybe even the new Windows Surface phone. It all depends on time frame and deals. I heard great things about the 6P, but don't have the money for a new phone at the moment, as other things in my life are set as priority to get. Also i received a Galaxy Gear Fit for Christmas and am loving it so far, so that means i will have to give my phone another year, or get the Note6 for it to work.

[Removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service]

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
ftlng
Enthusiast - Level 3

How does this sound:

Same signal as VZ, 6GB high speed data 4G LTE then unlimited throttled

thereafter, unlimited talk & text, 3 lines $119/mo or 2 lines $99 /mo

with no contract.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Samsung Galaxy S4, isn't scheduled for an update until late 2016. I'm waiting to see if Microsoft releases a Surface Phone, and, if the phone(s) is/are compatible with Verizon Wireless. Microsoft's 3 newest phones, 550, 950 and 950XL were released as GSM only devices so they won't work with Verizon Wireless, Sprint and their resellers.

0 Likes
Ripley2k
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am fed up with Verizon.  Their solution was for me to upgrade my Note 4 paperweight to solve my problems.  I am going to take their advice and upgrade my phone to a Nexus and go with Google's Project fi.

Buh Bye, Verizon

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

So I think Lollipop may have actually damaged my hardware. The default file manager on my Note tells me that I have 32GB internal storage and that 18GB is used. Most of that 18GB is used by "Other." I downloaded an app to see what might be using my space, and did find some stuff I could delete or move to my SD card, but I also noticed something strange. The app told me I had about 9.5GB used and 14GB free. That's 24GB total storage. Just to make sure, I downloaded another disk usage app and got the same result: my internal storage has been reduced to 24GB total. Now, maybe the missing 8GB is system, but that's hard to believe, and why would the default file manager say I still have 32GB? I think I may have to actually use my insurance and get another Note 4 and go through the hassle of transferring my stuff.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Formatting. Storage us displayed as 1GB =1024MB and trickle down. While memory manufacturer displays as 1GB =1000MB and trickle down. Then also some space is reserved and often never displayed even by two system for boot and encryption keys for example.

0 Likes
Zacharee1
Contributor - Level 1

I understand that manufacturers like to count with 1000 instead of 1024, but either way, I have much less space than I should. The actual MB count is 23,916, which is either 23.916GB (using 1000), or 23.355GB (using 1024). Neither one comes close to 32GB, and the difference between them is less than 1GB. My 32GB SD card which, because of long-term usage, has been reduced somewhat to 30.417MB, shows as 30GB in the default file manager. If it counts in 1000s, that's 30GB. If it counts in 1024s, it's also rounded to 30GB (29.7GB).

Why would the file manager tell me I have 32GB available and then just fill in the system and reserved with "Other?" No other phone I've had has done that. They just tell me the actual total storage. I find it extremely hard to believe that Samsung needs 8GB+ for /system and /boot, when the firmware download is less than 1GB. For comparison, Ubuntu is around 1GB for most distros, and only uses around 3-4GB upon installation. Samsung must have an amazing compression algorithm for their firmware package to expand 16x. Reserved space makes no sense, since the partitions can just be resized upon an upgrade.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Touchwiz is LARGE... Why do you think people complained they didn't give the S5 more base Storage 16GB mobile. They gave apps2sd in an update shortly after.  Even now they did thin out touchwiz, but it is still very large.

You can think your phone is broken, but it is actually normal. Shoot the Z5 line takes up over 10GB out of the box.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you looked I bet you can find what OTHER could be. It affected the S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3, and Note 4.

0 Likes