Galaxy Note 8 Trade-In Promotion - Scam?
ewillis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verzion and/or Samsung really did not think through their trade in promotion for the new Galaxy Note 8, or maybe they did and that would make it worse.  At this time after the calamitous Note 7 fires all of us using the Galaxy 7 Edge owe a balance of $462 to payoff our phone in order to upgrade back to the Galaxy Note platform we all loved.  And Verizon is offering a $480 trade in value for that phone when you upgrade.  Seems innocent enough and fair.  However, you need to pay off your phone today and will be out $462 today while that $480 trade in value will take you 24 months to get back at $20 a month and only if you don't upgrade again before that 2 years is up.  On top of that you won't even get the immediate value of $175 applied that their own regular trade in program offers.  You don't get back on par with their regular trade in program for 9 months.  While I think given the Note 7 disaster the $480 should be a first bill credit, you'd think a middle ground would at least be a credit for $187.70 on the first bill and then a bill credit for the remaining $292.30 for 23 months ($12.70/month). 

I was excited and ready to put my pre-order in for the Note 8, but now that I saw the shell game Verizon and Samsun played on us.  I'm out. 

Labels (2)
62 Replies
MURPH622
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, my S7 edge is the only phone out of 4 on my plan that has to be paid 100% in order to upgrade. The rest can be traded in after 50% of the phone has been paid. Something is not right here.

jaapplen
Enthusiast - Level 2

What's worse is that the Note 7 DID qualify for the Samsung annual upgrade program at the time we first got the Note 7.  I had asked this question because it was my first Note and I was unsure if I would like it or not.  Turns out I loved it right away.  Trading in my S6 Edge seemed like the best decision.  Our problem is that the recalls gave us our S7 Edge after the annual upgrade was offered.

Although they scrubbed any reference to the Note 7, they mention the S7s and dates in the Verizon FAQs right now.

***What's the annual upgrade program for Samsung devices?

-The annual upgrade program allows customers purchasing eligible Samsung devices to turn in that device after 30 days and payment of at least 50% to upgrade to a new eligible smartphone on a device payment agreement.

***I have other smartphones on device payment agreements. Are they eligible for early upgrades too?

-Maybe. It depends on when you purchased your device.

-Samsung S7 and Samsung S7 edge, purchased on a device payment agreement on or before 9/10/2016 are eligible for the Annual Upgrade program.

-The Annual Upgrade program is no longer available for Samsung S7 and Samsung S7 edge devices purchased on or after 9/11/2016.

We all could have got a Note 8 once it hit 50% paid, if we just kept the first Note 7.  At the very least, grandfather our S7s to match the purchase date of our 1st Note 7.

MURPH622
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I see. I got my 1st Note 7 in August 2016 and it was recalled. Got my second note 7 a week later. Then that was recalled. There was no mention that the annual 3 month 50% plan was no longer offered. Now I see that I have to wait the full 2 years to upgrade/trade in.

I asked if those of us that owned the Note 7 would be able to trade in if they came out with a new one and they said hopefully we would be able to do so.

We should be grandfathered.

This is so wrong.

Bern612
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been holding out from writing this, but Verizon wouldn't listen to my complaint.

Aug 3 2016 Note  7 release date

Sept 9 U.s Consumer Product Safety Commission Urges Note & users to stop using Note 7

Verizon we site.Early upgrade program. :

Purchased and activated an eligible Samsung device on a Verizon Wireless device payment agreement. Eligible devices:

1. Galaxy S8, and S8+
  2. Galaxy S7 and S7 edge purchased on or before September 10, 2016

Sept 15 Formal Recall

point is i find it strange they stooped the Annual upgrade program right before the recall was Formally announced. Good way to make us sign 2 year contracts, and [Removed] at same time

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

sha21g
Enthusiast - Level 2

DId they block your response?  I think you're dealing with what I am....

0 Likes
LOSOMURTI
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed.  It is the same thing if you paid off your phone and sell your  Samsung s7 for $350 and go toward note 8. Basically, they only paid you $130 for loyalty.

Not only they forced to return the note 7 and had to downgrade to s7 which was the phone I had paid couple months prior before the upgrade and I had to start new payments all over again.

DAVLAN6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had multiple talks over the last three months with Verizon about this.  I was told 2 days ago that Verizon is working on a buy back forgiveness program for former Note 7 owners when they want to get the Note 8.  Lots of us were mislead with the S7E.  Let's not go off the rails, yet. The phone won't even ship from Samsung until 9/14.  I have an email that says I will be taken care of.  I've been with Verizon for 20 years.  They have always taken care of me and I will trust them with this.  Just need a little patience.

valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

Patience?  Verizon has had a YEAR to come up with a plan for when the Note 8's rolled out.  If they cared at all about their customers, they would have a plan in place RIGHT NOW.  Not after we all complain about the situation.

mama23dogs
Legend

Verizon has a very generous rate in offer considering this was not their problem and owe nothing to customer for Samsung's faulty phone. 

Samsung Galaxy Note8 Specs, Prices, & Features | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

phooey, auto correct...

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Half the problem is that Verizon is issuing no information.  If they are working out a program to accommodate the former Note 7 owners, they need to indicate that even if it is still in the works.  People can understand things being worked out and it would go a long way towards reducing the grumbling...

TechnoGeek4Life
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sprint is making it right for there customers.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Note-Series-Knowledge/Can-Note-7-buyers-upgrade-to-a-Note-8/...

Hopefully Verizon will to.

BAHBDL
Enthusiast - Level 1

This deal is ridiculous.  I would be happy to trade my perfect condition S7E in for them to wipe the remaining balance off my account and pay the cull $40 a month for the Note8. This is the most ridiculous "offer" i've ever seen. I've been a very loyal Verizon customer and they can't do better than this!

valerie14432
Enthusiast - Level 3

T-Mobile is willing to buy out my Verizon contract!  So I will be switching to them, as well as switching to iPhone at that point.  Verizon and Samsung are both going to lose a long time customer here.  I've only have Samsung phones and Verizon for service!

MonroeB

Good luck with T-Mobile and their bad service, you'll wish you never left Verizon. Give Verizon an extra week after shipment of the Note 8 their coming out with a forgiveness program, don't give up yet.

0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

My son has T-Mobile - works just as well as my Verizon service, only much faster D/L speeds.

OLGJAR52
Enthusiast - Level 1

1. Samsung is a mega rich company and no was even hurt a tiny bit from the note7 problem.

2. The deal they are offering for the new note8 for previous note 7 customers is a shame.

3. Most of us owe that current amount on our phones at this moment in which means if we do what Samsung is asking we will in no way get any type of relief on the new note 8.

4. Samsung needs to win there customers back by making good on the note 7 customers like they have in there home country by just giving them a note 8 with no charge. In which makes sense being all of use note 7 owners had to go through[Removed] with going back and forth getting the note 7 replaced and then replaced and them ultimately having to just give it up and purchase a older phone.

5. If Samsung wants to charge previous note customers anything at least they should only charge the $225 I cost to make the phone. that's all. and charge new customers the premium in which they want to which is about 400%.

6. If you do go with the Verizon trade in Verizon gets a chance to take your free device and get you to still pay a premium over 2 years and they go ahead and recycle your great working condition phone in for a premium.  it a loss loss loss for customers and a enormous win for Verizon and Samsung.

7. Also don't forget that Verizon ruins the actual galaxy experience by taking away so many great features that we do actually want (optimization tool)

8. Remember if you do attempt to upgrade to the note 8  your are completely getting [Removed] and are note in really receiving any relief on the new note 8 purchase if your a previous note  owner.  I pray they don't thing we are so stupid to accept a $425 trade horrible deal when I believe its should just sell it to us for a cool $250

or cut there loses and keep there loyal galaxy customers happy.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Slingshot91
Enthusiast - Level 1

I loved my Note series. When the Note 7 came out I was excited and got one for myself and my wife. And like most of you, went through two recalls. The first recall we went back to our old phones while we waited for the replacements. The second recall they pushed new phones and we ended up with S7E(s). I really don't care for it. Now this promo comes out and Samsung thinks they are making it "Right".  Not even close bud!

I spoke to both Verizon on the phone and went into my Verizon store to see if I would get the same answer and I did. We have to ante up and pay off the phones first before the upgrade to the Note 8 or go through Samsung for that offer.

After looking into it, unless Samsung or Verizon comes up with a better offer, I'll hold where I am. As much as I would love to get back into the Note Series, I'm not willing to jump at any of these sad offers just to have a Note 8. I'm sure they will bag some people because they just have to have it, but not this kid.

ANDMAU89
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will throw my comments into the ring as well. I, like many others, had to take an S7E that I didn't want under the pretense that I'd be able to get away from it. I couldn't get my N4 back due to trade in. Now that getting out of the S7E doesn't appear to be reasonably doable, I'm pretty unhappy with Verizon and Samsung. I'm a long time customer of both and my expectation is they both will get together to make this right. I want upgrade forgiveness for my S7E so I can get to the N8 without a huge cash outlay. I don't need the discount on the N8 unless it can be applied to my S7E buyout. I'm hopeful this will happen eventually but if not I'll consider leaving Verizon since 4G data usage isn't a major concern in my daily use case. I'm hoping that enough voices will be enough pressure. We'll see...

KimhatesthePixel
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with the scam as well... I got the Pixel XL because it was recommended to me by the Verizon dealer at the time after my Note was recalled for the 2nd time.  I still owe $549 for the stupid Pixel XL and I can't get an upgrade because they used it for the recall when I had to get the Pixel XL.  Now after speaking with Verizon and Samsung's Supervisors they say that I have to pay off the $549 for the Pixel XL and then I can buy the new Note at a discount with $425 off. Sill costing over $500.  So I was still a little confused.  So I spelled it out as clear as I could to make sure I was understanding properly.  I would have to pay basically $900+ out of my own pocket to get the new Note.  That is not any kind of, "Special treatment thank you for being a loyal customer and we are soooo sorry for the 2 phones we had to recall and the new phone that you had to get that you hate compensation." kind of deal...  I just want my Note back that I loved so much!!!!  Does anyone have any solutions so far???

Please let me know!

MURPH622
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not to mention the inconvenience I had to go through to return the note 7, not once, but twice. I ended up with the 7 Edge, which by the way has to be the worse Samsung phone I have owned. Everyone complains they can not hear me speaking no matter where I am. They say it sounds like I am under water and now I am stuck with this for another 14 months. No one explained to me beginning Sept 2016 you had to pay the balance 100% in order to upgrade. Loved my Note 7 should have kept it.