Gingerbread SDK released as of yesterday
Swliles89

So,early yesterday morning the Google Corporation finally completed Gingerbread and decided to let their next wunderkind,aka,"Android Gingerbread" out into the wilds of the world.This is exciting news, as most of us are drooling over that new user interface and the specified speed improvements within the confinds of the code itself,resulting in an even snappier experience for the phones to be blessed with the version's presence in the coming months,years,etc.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gingerbread SDK released as of yesterday
Stein5830
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not all about the UI, its the increase in efficiency in coding on the backend to increase battery life and phone performance without having to increase the processor speed.

But just want to throw out that they are showing 2.3 before VZW gets us 2.2.... awesome eh?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The UI really isn't that different.  They pretty much added a black notification bar, green accents and called it a day. Still looks nice with the keyboard enhancements and voip framework (sure it'll get crippled by the carriers).

0 Likes
Stein5830
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not all about the UI, its the increase in efficiency in coding on the backend to increase battery life and phone performance without having to increase the processor speed.

But just want to throw out that they are showing 2.3 before VZW gets us 2.2.... awesome eh?

0 Likes
Swliles89

I have to agree with the matter of efficiency more.I have the Fascinate and I can only sit and beam about the possibilities of what could be achieved with a lower voltage output while acheiving a faster process completion method.It's all a dream for now though.All a dream.

0 Likes
Swliles89

Your absolutely right about all you've listed but I personally found that I liked the black noti bar and Android green accents much better.The keyboard is the thing I've heard the most buzz about though quite honestly.It's suppose to be much more intuitive and better conformed than the Eclair (which I have ) or Froyo stock keyboard options.I can't wait to see it all.If,it ever comes.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

More efficient code is nice and all that but the average user won't notice any of the behind the scenes stuff in daily use and I wouldn't expect a significant boost in battery life.   Point is that Google could've totally skipped Gingerbread and it wouldn't have been a big deal.  And at the rate of the Froyo release, I'm sure Honeycomb will be wildly distributed before the Fascinate tastes Gingerbread. lol

0 Likes
tubesokk
I doubt we as the forgotten Samsung stepchild that we ever see it. We still haven't gotten a sniff of froyo even though Verizon supposedly has it it their bloatware riddled clutches. Enough already big v. Enough bloatware we don't use or care about.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2
0 Likes
Stein5830
Enthusiast - Level 3
Alas if only we could customize our phones. I have had another post edited because I have mentioned the dreaded "r" word as the only way to get froyo running. Beyond that there are some ROM's that are barebones and awesome on the Fascinate (barebones = less crapware = better battery life + ability to install famous "lag fix" and GPS fix).... any bets on if this posted gets edited?
0 Likes
Cinderqh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Stein. If you know of any 'workarounds' or other that will make the audio output ports work (like for headphones) I'd really like to know.

{edited for privacy}

And if not, that's ok, thanks anyway.

0 Likes