Gingerbread update bricked my phone also!
jtrower15

I do not recommend to anyone installing this update until Verizon can figure out why it bricks some phones. I am currently on the phone with Verizon and the only fix is to send me a new phone.

0 Likes
Re: Gingerbread update bricked my phone also!
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

OR

head over to xda developers, search for stock EH03 fascinate update, and load it yourself.

0 Likes
haw4

Did you find Tech support to be helpful? I was on the phone with them as well, and they pretty much said the same thing...there is nothing we can do but send you a new phone.

0 Likes
jtrower15

Friendly, but not helpful. They told me my phone was covered under Samsung warranty and they would overnight me a new one. I was put on hold, and when the agent came back she explained that my phone was not covered under warranty, but I could file an insurance claim and get a replacement. I then expressed concern that I would have to pay my insurance deductible and the agent said she couldn't comment on that. 

As it stands Verizon hasn't offered to resolve this situation. 

What is the next step for me?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

jtrower15 wrote:

I do not recommend to anyone installing this update until Verizon can figure out why it bricks some phones. I am currently on the phone with Verizon and the only fix is to send me a new phone.

No disrespect but I have to ask because so many use the brick term for almost everything....  What exactly is the device doing?

Have you tried wiping the cache of device (Step 1-4 below and select Clear Cache) and if that dont work do a hard reset by following full instructions...

Alternate method

1. Press and hold the Power button.
    NoteIf the device is non-responsive, remove then replace the battery. Refer to Battery Inserting / Removing for additional assistance.
    Power button
  2. Select Power off.
    Power off
  3. Press and hold the Volume Up / Down keys and the Power button simultaneously. When the Samsung logo appears, release only the Power button.
    Volume keys
    Power button
  4. From the Recovery screen, press the Volume down key to select wipe data / factory reset.
    Recovery screen
  5. Select Home.
    Wipe data / factory reset
  6. Select Volume Up to continue.
    NoteAllow the factory reset process to complete (approximately 1 minute).
    Manual Mode
  7. Ensure reboot system now is selected.
    Reboot system now
  8. Select Home.
    Wipe data / factory reset
  9. Refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wildman wrote:

jtrower15 wrote:

No disrespect but I have to ask because so many use the brick term for almost everything....  What exactly is the device doing?

True. Bricks are phones that will not go into recovery mode.

Android phones are pretty hard to brick.

I read of someone on another forum that tried to brick his Eris just to see if it could be done, he even went as far as doing a battery pull while flashing a new firmware and was still able to boot back into recovery and restore it.

0 Likes
Lion123
As strange as it sounds to many folks but Gingerbread update managed to brick Fascinate. My up/down keys aren't working in the recovery mode. I checked XdaDevelepors forums and found few folks with the same problem. When I will get a rrplacement phone I am not planning neither recommending to update it to Gingerbread.
0 Likes
thornbe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same here, my Up/Down keys did not work in Recovery Mode.  Went to VZW Corporate Store and they were stumped.  Arranged to send me a replacement Fascinate, but I did some "reseach" and was able to recover my phone to VZW Froyo. :smileywink:  Did the Gingerbread OTA Update and everything works fine.

What baffles me is the corporate store had no idea how to fix the phone.  Once I found the "proceedure", it took less than 10 minutes to get stock Froyo back.  Now I need to decide if I want to swap to the replacement Fascinate.  I am leaning towards "No", since my phone is actually working now and the replacement could bring a whole different set is issues.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to use a "procedure" to return my phone back to 2.2.2 before I could load the OTA.

But I bought my phone used online so I have no warranty.

0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

In addition to the "vulcan neck pinch" (pressing both up, down and power at the same time) you can force the phone into download mode by powering on with the volume down held.

If the side buttons are unresponsive you can purchase or build a galaxy s download jig.

Basically it is a 300K Ohm + 1K Ohm resistor in series connected across pin 4 and 5 of a micro usb connector.

When your phone is powered on with a Galaxy S jig plugged in, it should go to a yellow triangle and say "Downloading"

At that point you would remove the jig and plug the phone into a computer that had the correct samsung drivers and a program for restoring the phone. If verizon doesn't have that available for download,  can't really help much with that.

0 Likes