Google Maps & apps won't stop installing.
smrsno

When I purchased my Fascinate, I was concerned about being able to tether my phone to my laptop so I would be able to access the internet while on the road.  [Edited to comply with Terms of Service] Not thinking anything about it for a couple days and then started the download for Google Maps.  [Edited to comply with Terms of Service] I downloaded Google Maps and after a few days, it still says "installing".  I have downloaded numerous apps since and they have all downloaded and installed just fine.

This evening I turned off my phone, removed the battery for 30 seconds, turned it back on and they are still saying they are "installing".  When I press app, the only option I have is "details"....there is no "cancel" as there is on the other apps that I have installed.

How can I stop these downloads/installations?  I definitely want the Google Maps on my phone!! [Edited to comply with Terms of Service]

I'd appreciate any help that you can send my way!  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Google Maps & apps won't stop installing.
August03
Contributor - Level 3

Try uninstalling the application, the link below will provide you the steps to uninstall.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=35236

0 Likes
smrsno

I maybe need to explain better.  When I go to download an app, it shows the download bar as it is downloading and then after it is finished downloading, there are green slash marks or diagonal bars going across with the word "installing" under the diagonal bars.  These green diagonal bars continue to move all the way across and never stop.  This only happens to these two apps.  The other apps I've downloaded and installed worked just fine.

I followed your instructions but neither app is listed....I imagine because they have not completely "installed"????  

Any other suggestions?

Thank You!!

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Sometimes the market will hang and apps will get stuck on "installing". Does Maps show up in the app drawer?  Try clearing out the market data by going into Settings-Applications -Manage Applications, scroll down to Market  and choose Clear Cache.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

You can also try going into your 'Task Manager' and 'End' the 'Market' app if it is running.

0 Likes
smrsno

Yes, "Maps" does show in my apps.  I click on "maps", then menu/more/about and it says Google Maps Version 4.5.1 so I guess it has installed.  When I got my phone, there was an icon in the apps named "maps".  I assumed that wasn't Google Maps or possibly was not the full version. Was it Google Maps??  I did clear the cache like you suggested but it didn't help delete the installing problem in the market download.  I powered down my phone and turned it back on....still the same.  

I really appreciate your help and suggestions.  I'm wondering if what my problem is, is also helping to constantly put a drain on the battery?

0 Likes
smrsno

No, the "market" isn't running in the Task Manager.

Should I uninstall "maps" and then see if my problem with the continuous installing stops?  Then I could reinstall?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, if you've already rebooted, closing an app in the built in task manager or force stopping it in Manage Applications isn't going to help since a reboot automatically does that.

And you cleared the cache under Market and not Maps right?  If Maps shows up under Manage Applications, you can try uninstalling it there and trying to browse the market. 

0 Likes
smrsno

I uninstalled Google Maps and then reinstalled it.  That took care of the continuous downloading/installing process that was going on.  And, I was able to get the other app to stop doing it also.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

0 Likes
louis2316

I have a similar issue except it isn't the Maps App...it is Flash 10.1...I have an infinite "installing" process going.  Flash doesn't show up as an installed application. 

Any additional thoughts?  Thanks!

0 Likes