Group texts not working
Superbowlnick90
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Galaxy S10 and for the last week, any text messages that are in a group text are not functioning properly. I seem to receive texts in a sporadic and ill-timed way. I'll send a text, and get a response to that text sometimes 12 hours (12 HOURS) later. I have had the same problem whether I am connected to wifi or not (as I saw people previously said to get off wifi, as the MMS messages don't work well through wifi), and nothing has worked. As I am not relying on my phone for communication with people, given our shelter-in-home orders, this bug is completely affecting my ability to communicate with coworkers. What are the solutions? This cannot continue this way. 

Labels (1)
Re: Group texts not working
Superbowlnick90
Enthusiast - Level 1

*now relying (not "not")

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Superbowlnick90,

We're sorry to hear you are having troubles messaging. Generally speaking, MMS and texts are best communicated over the cellular network, so we recommend turning WiFi off. Which application are you using to messge?

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
Kdfoswald
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue all of a sudden the last few weeks.  But I've discovered it's not just group messages, it also applies to individual text messages.  And it applies to regular text messages and pictures messages.  And I shouldn't have to turn wifi off, everything was working fine till a few weeks ago.  What did Verizon change?  Sometimes if I turn off SMS AND MMS the text will go through. I have an iPhone 11 Pro.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KerryC_VZW I can look into this for you. Which messaging applications are affected?

0 Likes
Robert1763
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having issues with group messages.  I have mms enabled and have tried using various messaging apps.  Group texts worked fine until about a week ago.  Now the messages come in sporadically and appear as individual mms messages instead of part of the group chat.  When I try to download the mms it fails.  I also can not send a group message.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Robert1763. Group messages are a great way to stay in touch with multiple people at once, and we want to make sure you are able to send and receive them. Are you still having issues with them? CourtneyM_VZW

0 Likes
danielleconner

I am having issues with the same thing!!!! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to see that you are experiencing with group text messages, danielleconner. Our only goal is to resolve your service concerns and we need to get specific information about you text messaging concerns (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/messaging/), please. When did this text group messaging issue start?

What is your phone model?

Do you experience this issue with specific contacts only?

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
laurenGalaxyS9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having the same issues as Robert1763. I spent hours on live chat and phone support last week, and went through all of the troubleshooting steps. Nothing has worked. Tonight, I made sure to turn off wifi before a planned group chat (6 participants). I still had an insurmountable backlog of messages downloading, and was unable to send anything/participate. It has been hours, the conversation has ended, and I'm still spinning. I am the only one that has consistent issues with participating, and the others are all on a variety of non-Verizon networks. Even outside of group chat settings, it takes a long time to send an MMS to a single recipient (i.e., a picture.) Overall, MMS works moderately well about 30% of the time, and is completely inoperable the other 70% of the time.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy 9, and am currently using the Samsung stock Messages app. I was having the same issue with Verizon's Message+ app. I have the issue whether or not wifi is turned off.

When my tech support reached the end of their troubleshooting steps, they said the only thing left would be to try a factory reset. I personally do not want to deal with the hassle of having to do a complete reset to my phone, especially when tech support was unable to explain why a factory reset should have any affect at all. I feel like it was only suggested because nothing else worked.

It appears that this is a consistent issue in these Community Forums since at least 2016, which points to it being an issue with the Verizon infrastructure. Have any steps been taken on the Verizon end to address this issue?