Hands-free calling works fine with the slide-to-unlock screen, does not work with PIN-locked screen.
Djazz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using PIN for lock screen, the Note 3 will not respond to the paired Bluetooth headset by listening for a voice command.  Instead, the Note 3 activates the screen and asks for the PIN and offers the dial-pad to allow hand-dialed calling.  This means that hands-free calling and a PIN-locked phone are incompatible.

This is in stark contrast to Blackberry Storm1, Storm2, Torch, and the Apple iPhone operation.  All of those devices respond to a call request from a Bluetooth headset by listening to the headset's microphone for a command such as "Call John Smith mobile" when the phone is in a PIN- or password-locked state.  As far as I've been able to find and to try -- after reading the manual -- the Note 3 in PIN-locked mode will not listen to the Bluetooth microphone until the PIN has been entered; thus it has no PIN-locked hands-free operation.

Is there something I'm missing in setting up the phone?  Is there a way to get the Note 3 phone to accept call commands from the Bluetooth headset and be in PIN-locked mode: true hands-free operation just like the Blackberrys and the iPhone?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hands-free calling works fine with the slide-to-unlock screen, does not work with PIN-locked screen.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Djazz,

I'm glad to see that you are excited to get the most out of your Note 3. The bluetooth technology is just one of many ways in which you can do just that with your smartphone. While the device does need the pin inputted to use the bluetooth calling feature, I believe that this is done by design. For the security of the information, the device would need to be unlocked. For more information and tips & tricks on the Note 3, check out our support site. Welcome to Verizon Wireless Support | Verizon Wireless

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Hands-free calling works fine with the slide-to-unlock screen, does not work with PIN-locked screen.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Djazz,

I'm glad to see that you are excited to get the most out of your Note 3. The bluetooth technology is just one of many ways in which you can do just that with your smartphone. While the device does need the pin inputted to use the bluetooth calling feature, I believe that this is done by design. For the security of the information, the device would need to be unlocked. For more information and tips & tricks on the Note 3, check out our support site. Welcome to Verizon Wireless Support | Verizon Wireless

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes