Having trouble with voice commands and Gmail syncing
prettyCouple

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a month now. Overall, I like it a lot, but I have had a few things emerge that are annoying:

• The voice dialer doesn't really work. There have been a few times when it's worked the way I want it to, but 95% of the time, it doesn't. And it's not a matter of it not recognizing what I'm saying, just for whatever reason, it doesn't execute my command. For instance, if I say "Call Home," it lists a few options for places to call, none of them actually "Home." But I know it's picking up what I'm saying because below that, it lists what I said along with some things I might have said. And I definitely have a contact in my contacts list called "Home."

Along those same lines, it doesn't work for sending a text by voice prompt. If I press the mic button, then say "Send message to John: hey what's up." It will launch a text message, but rather than putting John in the "To" field, it cuts off the command after "Send message." So everything I say after "Send message" ends up in the body of the text. It ends up looking like this:

To:

Am I just messing up the voice command? Again, it's not a matter of it not recognizing what I'm saying, it just isn't doing what I want it to.
  • My Gmail doesn't sync, unless I'm connected via WiFi. I just tried syncing my account, and I had a full 4G signal, and it wouldn't sync. It didn't show any errors or anything, but it still showed 7/10/12 as the last date the email was synced. I had 3 unread emails that I could see on my computer, but they didn't come through on my phone until I connected via WiFi. Is there a setting that I might have tweaked somewhere that could have caused Gmail to only sync if I'm connected via WiFi? I've looked seemingly everywhere and can't find anything.
  • I was also going to say something about the My Verizon widget not working, but I saw that addressed in a different thread. Any ideas if Verizon plans to fix that? It was a great feature.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Having trouble with voice commands and Gmail syncing
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure about most of that message.  However, do you have the background data turned off?  That might be related to the Gmail sync issue.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
prettyCouple

How do you toggle background data on/off?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there prettyCouple!

I am glad to know that you like your Nexus! It appears that you are having some issues with your device that we can help with. I completely understand the need of the device to work as it should. Let's start with the Voice Action Commands. Try to disable contact sync to see if the issue persists:  Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Your Account -> Uncheck Sync Contacts. Here is additional information that will help you with voice commands:  http://support.google.com/android/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1715292

G-mail Sync issue:

Go to Menu -> Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> G-mail -> Disable sync -> Power off device -> power back on -> go back to enable sync and test.

Let us know if the issue persists with either one of these issues.

Thank you,

Lena A.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes