How Bing found its way to Fascinate and what to expect in the future
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

Per The Wall Street Journal article, Microsoft Struggles to Gain in Mobile Search market. The full article is at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704621204575488063070212340.html?mod=ITP_marketplace_3...

One third of its way into a five-year deal to make its Internet search and advertising services the default option on Verizon Wireless cellphones, Microsoft is still struggling to make headway in a market that continues to be dominated by Google. The arrangement with Verizon was aimed at vaulting Microsoft into a competitive position on the mobile Internet. But the deal gave Verizon the right to use Google’s search engine on phones powered by Google’s Android software. So far, on seven of its eight Android phones, Verizon has opted to use Google search under deals where it gets a cut of the ad revenue. But Microsoft is pushing to get more out of its Verizon agreement.

Microsoft says seven new Android phones scheduled to come out on Verizon this fall will feature its search engine, Bing.

The first of those devices, Samsung’s Fascinate, hit stores last week and uses Microsoft software for its default search engine and mapping service.

Microsoft said the Verizon deal has helped the volume of mobile searches on Bing more than triple over the past year.

So here you have it...Bing will still be a default search of Fascinate even after 2.2 update (as many already knew that) and unfortunately more of the same crap will come from VZW in the future. It's all about money for VZW and MS and nobody give a {word filter avoidance}
about what consumer needs and/or wants. The best way to stop VZW and MS allience, is to stop purchasing those phones that carry MS software just like all of as did with Kin (those phones didn't survive even 6 months with VZW).

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How Bing found its way to Fascinate and what to expect in the future
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm... I vote for having both loaded on the phones that we have a choice.

I actually use Bing and bing maps at work. Google maps doesn't always load completely (ugh! Corporate firewalls) so I got out the habit of using Google exclusively. Sometimes I use both. I often have to look up odd addresses. It is surprising how many addresses map on one map and not the other. They are not consistent either. Sometimes Google gets it right, other days it's Bing and then there are days when I resort to mapquest and that website gets it right and the other two are very wrong.

My point is, no search engine is perfect.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
CR6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Too many people are making far too big an issue out of Bing being on the Fascinate.  If you don't want Bing as your default search engine, either bookmark Google and search from there or root your phone and get rid of it altogether.  Two very simple solutions.  :robotindifferent:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Agreed.  The Bing thing is a minor issue but people will always be looking for something to complain about.  I don't use the search widget nor have I used the search button for voice search so I barely even know it's there.  The more annoying issue is the slower than normal gps lock that requires an extended period of time to lock.  Should be fairly minor to anyone except for those who are the want it now type.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

What I can't understand why people are defending poor judgment on the provider part and trying to find work around.

Being related to software industry for 20 years and seeing different client large and small, I know precisely that no customer would sign off on the work around if a workable solution to a problem isn't underway.

What people are offering by installing shortcut to Google on the desktop is quick and dirty way of allowing provider continue to do what they did until now. 

Last time I checked, it was the United Stated of America with all the freedom that is the most famous for. How come people have freedom to do most of the things but we can't uninstall simple application from the phone.

If you have a chance, check in person or view online review of any smartphone from Europe, Asia, or Australia...you will not find that madness that US consumers have to deal with. I understand that provider subsidizes prices for phones of 1 or 2 year agreement but then they are insuring themselves with $350 ETF. And what if I am deciding to purchase the phone without contract, I am still unable to uninstall all that crap that VZW had enforced on me.

Those applications that VZW and MS forced on consumer in the Fascinate are bloatware that do nothing but consume memory, wasting battery life, and like a ghost waiting to be activated to start making money.

Removal of those applications do not present any security treats to either cellphone company or our country for that matter. Those application are rather simple money-making tricks that VZW did to present their shareholders and partners with a fatter return on their investments. I wouldn't care for someone getting richer (it is America after all) if that would be done in the clear and honest way and not the way it was.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

papa_leo wrote:

Those applications that VZW and MS forced on consumer in the Fascinate are bloatware that do nothing but consume memory, wasting battery life, and like a ghost waiting to be activated to start making money.

I guarantee that removing those apps will have no noticable impact on device performance.  It's just personal preference.  What verizon SHOULD start doing is get rid of subsidized pricing and make everyone pay full retail since so many people want to whine and always want something for nothing.

0 Likes
papa_leo
Contributor - Level 1

Presence of bloatware on the phone does in fact impact affect phone's performances as constantly running Amazon Kindle, Blockbuster, CityID, and tons of other VZW brand applications consume at least 50 MB of RAM at any given point. This phone is not like a current PC or laptop that may have a 4 GB of RAM where 50 MB is unnoticeable.

And I do agree that phones should not be subsidized at all giving consumer freedom of moving from one provider to another as ones pleases. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Numbers are just that, numbers.  Send me your device, I'll remove those apps and I bet you won't notice a difference in daily use.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

papa_leo wrote:

Presence of bloatware on the phone does in fact impact affect phone's performances as constantly running Amazon Kindle, Blockbuster, CityID, and tons of other VZW brand applications consume at least 50 MB of RAM at any given point. This phone is not like a current PC or laptop that may have a 4 GB of RAM where 50 MB is unnoticeable.

And I do agree that phones should not be subsidized at all giving consumer freedom of moving from one provider to another as ones pleases. 

Sure if you have a windows Mentality.  Android runs differently than windows and things loaded in RAM is a good thing.  What you are noticing when you phone goes sluggish is poorly written apps which are causing memory leaks, and you are causing more memory leaks closing apps the incorrect way using task killers and such.  It doesn't impact the device as you think it does.  It's what you install that does.  I have ran almost every Android device from the G1 to the Nexus One, and now a Droid 2 and have never have had problems with the device letting the OS do it's job.  Also if I start to fill hiccups I know it's an app I installed, and as soon as I remove it everything works like out of the box.

People will not buy these "high" end devices or cell phones in general...  People complain about paying $200 for a smartphone, and without subsidization a lot those "free" phones would cost more than that.  I say it would alleviate contracts and such as well, but then again who's to say the people who buy devices outright don't receive a subsidization for having an app on the device.  Instead of paying $529 with it it may turn out to be $699 without it. 

0 Likes
Joechilll

I was told today by a rep in the VerizonWIreless store today that the new update (which is coming )will allow you to use google as your default search and maps..He told me he got a email straight from verizon..We shall see if this is true

0 Likes