How did my Note 4 know my Home WiFi Network Key?
HRA95035

I signed up into my main gmail account on my brand new Note 4 and immediately connected to my home WiFi network without asking me the Key. I presume it is saved somewhere in my gmail account along with my contacts and calendar info.

This implies if someone can get to your gmail account, they may be able to access the home WiFi key. Very dangerous in my opinion!

Has anyone else seen this situation? Know where actually this information stored?

0 Likes
Re: How did my Note 4 know my Home WiFi Network Key?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HRA95035, I know that would peak my curiosity just the same. While we would have limited resources on Googles mail platform or where the WiFi keys would actually be saved with Google, you would be able to turn this setting off within your device. To do so you can go into Settings, Backup & Reset and you will see the "Back up my data." If checked this will save app data, WiFi passwords, and other device settings and to disable you can uncheck the box. Hope this helps!

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unless that same person is also within range of your wi-fi it doesn't matter.

0 Likes
HRA95035

Make sense. Do you know of anyway to still back up the apps info and setting and exclude the home WiFi key information?

0 Likes
HRA95035

Yes, I agree the chance is very small but the basic question is why the home WiFi key is included in the list of back-up items? There is no rational since it has nothing to do with the list of the apps that you have downloaded on your phone and their settings. It could be that it is NSA-mandated item 🙂

0 Likes
Not applicable

If all of your phones settings are saved then your wi-fi password is a setting is it not?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

nothing in my gmail account has my wi-fi key.

0 Likes