Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
wardcst24
Novice

Is it Possible it is Verizon's network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem

I have talked to people in my area that are having no Problems with there Fascinate

And I see Posts where People are having no Problems

Is it possible that it is the Network that does not like some phones and loses them

Not our phones not waking  up

If it is the phone it should be all or none--It almost smells of a Network Issue

0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
SFObrien
Novice

Good question.  There have been pretty good debates on that on other forums.  It seems alot of the issues started when the 4g network crashed awhile back. There have been reports of other devices having missed call issues as well but not as many as the Fascinate.

 

If you look at one of the fixes, the ESN swap (DMU reset) resets your data on the network pointing to a network issue.  However this did not work for all.

 

Second, different ROM and radios fix or work better pointing to a software issue.  I tried Gingerbread leak EC09 (still using the modem/radio) and the signal was much stronger and locked on 3G with no issue or missed calls, again points to a software issue with the Fascinate and Froyo.

 

My opinion is the problems are a combination of both and time for Samsung and VZW to release official Gingerbread and this phone will be good to go.

0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
wardcst24
Novice

Or I was thinking another thought the only thing that is the same that could be causing my problems

1. Network

2. Maybe my SD card

3.Samsung software

 

It has to be one or a combination  not sure

But they sent a brand new phone and that had no effect it still missed calls--but had same SD card

0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
Tarrant
Member

Uhh, it's not your SD card.  Trust me.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
nickjr
Novice

SFObrien wrote:

Good question.  There have been pretty good debates on that on other forums.  It seems alot of the issues started when the 4g network crashed awhile back. There have been reports of other devices having missed call issues as well but not as many as the Fascinate.

 

If you look at one of the fixes, the ESN swap (DMU reset) resets your data on the network pointing to a network issue.  However this did not work for all.

 

Second, different ROM and radios fix or work better pointing to a software issue.  I tried Gingerbread leak EC09 (still using the modem/radio) and the signal was much stronger and locked on 3G with no issue or missed calls, again points to a software issue with the Fascinate and Froyo.

 

My opinion is the problems are a combination of both and time for Samsung and VZW to release official Gingerbread and this phone will be good to go.


I wish they would upgrade all Fascinate users to Gingerbread, but instead of OTA, let each user d/l the update and run it from their computer.. I never liked OTA
0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
no_service
Novice

wardcst24 wrote:

Is it Possible it is Verizon's network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem

I have talked to people in my area that are having no Problems with there Fascinate

And I see Posts where People are having no Problems

Is it possible that it is the Network that does not like some phones and loses them

Not our phones not waking  up

If it is the phone it should be all or none--It almost smells of a Network Issue


No, it's not the network (for the missed calls/text problem). It's pretty clear from the way it happens that the call is going through the network to the phone just fine but the handset is not responding to it properly. If you happen to turn on the screen in the middle of one of these "missed calls" the call will suddenly be there. I know this from testing my phone constantly for these calls and when I call myself from another phone and my Fascinate does not ring, if (before it goes to voicemail) I turn on my Fascinate screen, I see myself calling and it will then ring. This would not be possible if it were a network issue because the call would not have reached the handset. There are other things about the issue that, as a software engineer, makes it clear to me it is 100% software, but I don't have time to write all that and it wouldn't make sense to most people anyway. But I'm certain it is 100% an issue on the handset.

 

Edit: Also, about the people who are not having the problem, there are two likely reasons.

1. They are and don't know it - I've met several people like this and I showed them they were or their friends/family who were around when we were talking told them they were and they just hadn't been aware of it.

2. They have apps on their phone that are preventing the problem from surfacing. Many people are using apps that, even though it is not their intent, are not written well and keep the phone awake all the time or wake it up often enough that the problem will not surface. There are A LOT of apps like this so it would not be unusual for someone who does not even have many apps on their phone to have one of these.

0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
nickjr
Novice

no_service wrote:

wardcst24 wrote:

Is it Possible it is Verizon's network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem

I have talked to people in my area that are having no Problems with there Fascinate

And I see Posts where People are having no Problems

Is it possible that it is the Network that does not like some phones and loses them

Not our phones not waking  up

If it is the phone it should be all or none--It almost smells of a Network Issue


No, it's not the network (for the missed calls/text problem). It's pretty clear from the way it happens that the call is going through the network to the phone just fine but the handset is not responding to it properly. If you happen to turn on the screen in the middle of one of these "missed calls" the call will suddenly be there. I know this from testing my phone constantly for these calls and when I call myself from another phone and my Fascinate does not ring, if (before it goes to voicemail) I turn on my Fascinate screen, I see myself calling and it will then ring. This would not be possible if it were a network issue because the call would not have reached the handset. There are other things about the issue that, as a software engineer, makes it clear to me it is 100% software, but I don't have time to write all that and it wouldn't make sense to most people anyway. But I'm certain it is 100% an issue on the handset.

 

Edit: Also, about the people who are not having the problem, there are two likely reasons.

1. They are and don't know it - I've met several people like this and I showed them they were or their friends/family who were around when we were talking told them they were and they just hadn't been aware of it.

2. They have apps on their phone that are preventing the problem from surfacing. Many people are using apps that, even though it is not their intent, are not written well and keep the phone awake all the time or wake it up often enough that the problem will not surface. There are A LOT of apps like this so it would not be unusual for someone who does not even have many apps on their phone to have one of these.


I also feel it is the software that caused these issues we are experencing...
0 Likes
Re: Is it Possible it is Verizon's Network and Not the Fascinate With the Problem
SFObrien
Novice

nickjr wrote:

I wish they would upgrade all Fascinate users to Gingerbread, but instead of OTA, let each user d/l the update and run it from their computer.. I never liked OTA


Same here.  I always liked updating Blackberry without OTA.

0 Likes