Is the Galaxy S5 with Advanced Calling still supported?
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is the Galaxy S5 with Advanced Calling still supported on 4G LTE?

I have an S5 and haven't had call service since the beginning of the year.  I do have data and can send/receive texts.

I've been on support chats with Verizon for many hours. They have written 2 tickets for the issue. The first one evaporated? when I checked on it a week after it was submitted. It's  been days since the second ticket was submitted and I still haven't heard anything.

My plan is connected to a GUDP and I'd like to keep it if possible.

When I tap Activate Advanced Calling in the Settings>Advanced Calling menu, it takes me to a Verizon Advanced Calling screen. When I tap "Activate," it gives me this message:

"Advanced Calling 1.0 already exists on your line. Please completely turn off then turn on your phone to start enjoying HD Voice and Video Calling. null"  (Yes, it says "null" after the message.)

When I tap OK, it takes me back to the Advanced Calling menu and "Activate Advanced Calling" is greyed out. Underneath it says "Upgrading in process. You will receive a message when activation is complete."

If I turn off the phone and turn it on again, it just goes back to the original state and I can tap on Activate Advanced Calling again, but it just goes in a loop. I've done this with both good 4GLTE (with WiFi turned off), and with WiFi service to the phone. Same outcome.

So far I have:

• Cleared the cache. Cleared the data.
  • Updated the firmware to the latest available using Verizon Software Update Assistant via PC.
  • Done 2 complete factory resets.
  • Worked with online support while they reset numerous things on their end and kept restarting the phone per their direction.

My local Verizon store says the phone is no longer supported and wants me to buy a new device. My understanding from Verizon website is that it is still supported.

If it isn't, that is fine. I will move forward with something newer. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something that would get VoLTE working on my phone.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is the Galaxy S5 with Advanced Calling still supported?
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Circling back to finish the story...

Spent many more hours online with some folks from Verizon, but nothing could seem to make the S5 work. They sent me an A50 and it is up and running. I can call again. Good times. 👍

Cheers.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure you have a working device is important. The Galaxy S5 is still supported on our Network. We are sorry to hear about the troubles you have encountered with your services. Have you tried to replace the SIM Card for your device? A replacement SIM Card can be picked up for free at one of our Corporate store locations. Please follow this link https://vz.to/2m0xCTh to locate your nearby store.

A list of non-supported devices can be seen here  https://www.verizon.com/support/no-longer-supported/ 

-Sylvia

0 Likes
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Sylvia. I have visited 2 stores (one an official Verizon store and another that is an authorized reseller) to get a replacement SIM. Both have said that the phone is no longer supported and didn't want to help me getting a new SIM. I just ordered one online and it will be delivered to me tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

0 Likes
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Sylvia.

Today I got a new SIM card and activated it. I still have data access and text ability. I still do not have ability to change to Advanced Calling (VoLTE). It is doing exactly what I said yesterday in the above post.

Incidentally, I am unable to connect with Verizon on the My Verizon app, as well. It just says:

"We're sorry. It looks like we are having trouble connecting."

Not sure if this is part of the problem. I've updated the app. I've also done a factory reset of the phone to get back to the original version of the app. Neither of them works.

What would you suggest I try next?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out with these details, Derpyderp2! We know having this feature active is vital. Are you able to send a Private Note, so we can look further into this? *Alexis

0 Likes
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I can via my computer. Sending you a note.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Derpyderp2, thanks for those details. Please respond to this Private Note, so I can assist you better. -Dia

0 Likes
Derpyderp2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Circling back to finish the story...

Spent many more hours online with some folks from Verizon, but nothing could seem to make the S5 work. They sent me an A50 and it is up and running. I can call again. Good times. 👍

Cheers.