Is there a way to rotate the home screen on the Galaxy Nexus?
pbb13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a car dock for my Galaxy Nexus and it's great, except that the home screen does not rotate into landscape mode.  Is there a way to make the phone rotate the home screen to landscape mode?

0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to rotate the home screen on the Galaxy Nexus?
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I doubt it if the phone is stock.  Only Android phones that have slider keyboards have rotating homescreens.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

go to settings->display and make sure auto rotate screen is checked.....if it is, then it might be another app influencing

0 Likes
pbb13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the help. The option is selected and I've unselected and reselected several times. How would I know which app is influencing this, any suggestions?

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

One of the things I've noticed is when my phone is acting stupid,....I usually act stupid too and forget I should probably shut the phone down and pop the battery, wait 30  seconds then replace the battery for a hard reboot.  If that doesn't fix it, then possibly one of the programmers can read your logs and look for an answer there......hopefully you haven't had your phone long if that's not possible, then reset your phone to factory setting.  Frankly I'd rather hang myself than do that...but I'd be motivated to do that if I couldn't get landscape for videos  If you do.......back up your pics and SMS, and other important data you are storing on your phone first.

On second thought, will it go into landscape while in gallery....watching a video or looking at a pic?  If it does, then there might be a setting in what ever program you are trying to view in landscape mode in your car.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

ppb13 is asking specifically about home screen rotation.  Android doesn't do this unless it is a phone with a slider keyboard.  The code has to be rewritten for those phones, which is why the updates usually take longer for phones with sliding keyboards over similar models that are touchscreen only.

ppb13, you can head to XDA to see if you can find answers there, but that level of phone modification can't be discussed on VZW's forums.

cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

You are RIGHT, I've used Launcher Pro so long I'd forgotten that I used HomeSwitcher to verify that.  Well then try Launcher Pro then or another launch program.

BTW, Launcher Pro has a LOT of features such as the  lower row of icons (phone, people, apps, messaging, browser becomes 15 that you can rotate at the bottom, instead of being fixed and cluttering up your screen w/ your favorites. Also, for each of those 15 Icons you can change them all as you want plus add a swipe option which gives you a total of 30 choices for apps/widgets, etc.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I forgot that different launchers do this, as well.  I don't want the feature so I selected a launcher that doesn't offer it a few months ago, and forgot that it was an option with some launchers.

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

I had downloaded Launcher Pro for my droid and really liked it and got the paid version which allows you to resize icons and determine how many on each row and how many rows on each of the home screens.  When I upgraded from froyo to ICS, there was no learning curve as Launcher Pro worked great on the Nexus also.

I really like the dock feature w/ all the icons scrolling sideways instead of the fixed 5  that Launcher has.

Is there a way to rotate the home screen on the Galaxy Nexus?
pbb13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for the information.  I was specifically asking about the home screen.  I did try a few launchers and like Nova the best. Seems to fix the home screen rotation problem. 

0 Likes