Jelly Bean Update Causing Phone to Roam at Home on Signal Booster
verizongouges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because Verizon service sucks in my own neighborhood, they sold me a 3G signal booster back when I had the original Droid.  It worked fine on my Nexus until the Jelly Bean update and now I get a big, fat "R" over my signal bar whenever I'm at home.  My brother with a Nexus also got the "R" when he walked into my house.  The "R" followed me to work, and the only way I could get it off of roaming was to pull the battery and the SIM and reboot.  When I returned home, the "R" returned.  Anyone having this problem but me?

0 Likes
Re: Jelly Bean Update Causing Phone to Roam at Home on Signal Booster
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

You know......I have a network extender....Samsung's for Verizon, mine was roaming at my home the other day, I didn't think much about it, just glad to have some bars visable....hope that doesn't increase my charges.   I definitely shouldn't be roaming at homer where my network extender is, what's up w/ that?

I GUESS, there'll be an update before long to improve the radios soon.

0 Likes
verizongouges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Glad I'm not the only one.  I have a Samsung too. I'm hoping they fix this quick because it's a <Deleted comment.>.  I shouldn't have needed the signal booster to start with, never mind worrying about roaming charges because of a software glitch.

I noticed that when I connect the phone to my wi-fi that the "R" disappears when in my house.  Not sure if it's because there's not enough room for the "R" on the display.

At least it's not an iPhone.

<Post edited to comply with the the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! There's been a lot of updates to the Nexus and to the network lately. I've noticed the Perferred Roaming List (PRL) for the Nexus has recently changed, so we may just need to update that phone's connection to the network. You can see your current PRL Apps > Settings > About phone > Status. It's extremely easy to update the LTE devices, just follow the steps at http://bit.ly/znMW74 while on the Verizon Wireless network to reboot the SIM and the update will follow within a minute of the phone turning on.

Keep me posted if you're still having trouble seeing the roam indicator while you're connected to the Network Extender.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

the link you gave is just inserting and removing the sim card, I'll check the settings now

0 Likes
cynindesign
Contributor - Level 2

There's no button to update LTE devices, and on the link you sent, it's just removing or inserting the sim card....if that's the reset, then why didn't you say so Smiley Sad

0 Likes
verizongouges
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd already explained that I'd removed the battery, removed the SIM, waited a few minutes, then replaced the SIM, the battery and rebooted.  I did it again after your email, but it's still showing the "R".  When I check the Status, it says it's not roaming, but still the "R" persists.  As long as I'm not getting charged for roaming, I don't really care, but if I get a bill with roaming charges on it, I'm not going to be happy.