Kinda confused on needing a data plan for this phone...
cajuncandy

I'm pretty much a novice cell phone user but came across this phone in my upgrade list.  It mentioned being wireless and went on to say that you could connect at any wireless site.

If this is true, why am I being forced to purchase the Verizon data plan? 

I don't want it.

I don't use it now.

Why?

Am I missing something about the wireless part, am I misunderstanding?

TIA!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kinda confused on needing a data plan for this phone...
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yes, you must purchase the 29.99 data add-on for unlimited data on any of the android phones.  They all have wifi capabilities where you can access your home internet, etc but that data plan is still required if the phone is active on a line. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yes, you must purchase the 29.99 data add-on for unlimited data on any of the android phones.  They all have wifi capabilities where you can access your home internet, etc but that data plan is still required if the phone is active on a line. 

0 Likes
cajuncandy

Thanks for replying to quickly.

So there is absolutely no way to activate this phone without getting the data plan?  Doesn't sound too fair to me.

I'm basically being made to pay for $30 a month for something I am not going to use.  Sigh...  :smileysad:

0 Likes
magsgundah
Enthusiast - Level 2

All smartphones require the $30 data plan.  It's not just this one.

0 Likes
wsl03
Enthusiast - Level 3

cajuncandy wrote:

Thanks for replying to quickly.

So there is absolutely no way to activate this phone without getting the data plan?  Doesn't sound too fair to me.

I'm basically being made to pay for $30 a month for something I am not going to use.  Sigh...  :smileysad:

While it may seem that you won't use the 3g network on your phone, it is likely that at some point in time you will want to use one of the functionalities of your phone that requires data when no wireless network is in range. There is so many things that smartphones require a connection to the internet for, almost every thing on the phone aside from taking pictures and talking on the phone require data, from updating software for the phone and nearly all of the applications you have on the phone to browsing around on a car trip, or using the gps, all of this requires the network in order for you to use it. Without the data plan you would be paying $1.99 / mb of usage, the 29.99 data package helps you to maintain your costs, otherwise you could quite likely have alot of data charges.

It comes down to this, a smartphone requires a data package, this is for you to be able to use the phone the way it was intended without having alot of unexpected charges. If you don't want the data package, don't get a smartphone, there's no point in having it if you aren't going to use it the way it was intended, why not get a cheap flip phone that doesn't require a data package; it does everything that you need it for and you won't have to pay for a data package.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

cajuncandy wrote:

I'm pretty much a novice cell phone user but came across this phone in my upgrade list.  It mentioned being wireless and went on to say that you could connect at any wireless site.

If this is true, why am I being forced to purchase the Verizon data plan? 

I don't want it.

I don't use it now.

Why?

Am I missing something about the wireless part, am I misunderstanding?

TIA!

If you want to access wifi without the data plan, look at the KIN Onem and KIN Twom phones.  They allow wifi connections, but don't need a data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PO_pack_mule
Contributor - Level 2
I Think you can do a data plan for $15 a month, but it's not unlimited. That's when you should keep your wifi on... That's what I'm doing so I can judge the usage over three months, then possibly go to the lower plan. That way we can put my wifes phone on a plan at $15 and pay the same as we are now.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

the $15 plan isn't offered anymore afaik. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

PO_pack_mule wrote:
I Think you can do a data plan for $15 a month, but it's not unlimited. That's when you should keep your wifi on... That's what I'm doing so I can judge the usage over three months, then possibly go to the lower plan. That way we can put my wifes phone on a plan at $15 and pay the same as we are now.

The $15 dollar plan for 150mb is gone.  If you currently have it, you are grandfathered in  These are the current options for a data plan.  3g smartphones require the $29.99 per month for unlimited data

vzw data plans.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PO_pack_mule
Contributor - Level 2
No $15 plan anymore? Well, that just sucks!
0 Likes