L2TP w/ PSK unable to connect via the phone dataplan, has anyone come across this?
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been messing around with this on my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.0.2 and have confirmed the following settings for VPNs to our corprate firewall.

PPTP over Dataplan CDMA -- Everything works fine

PPTP over Dataplan LTE -- Untested due to lack of availability where I live and work, will test at a later date.

PPTP over WiFi -- Everything works fine

L2TP over Dataplan CDMA -- Connection timeout

L2TP over Dataplan LTE -- Untested due to lack of availability where I live and work, will test at a later date.

L2TP over WiFi -- Everything works fine

OpenVPN :smileysad: not supported without rooting the phone -- Verizon please add this functionality into your base ROMs for all of your phones.

The reason I ask about anyone coming across this or having a fix is PPTP may work but it's old/insecure comparitively and may be going away in a future stable tree release of the corprate firewall I work with.  The full support of L2TP and/or OpenVPN/SSL-VPN would make life a lot easier for us techs who need to bounce into a server quickly and do what's needed when having a PC at hand is impossible, ie at a sitdown resturant.  If you need logs of the connect attempt let me know and I'll get them to you.  I did however see this error posted on the Samsung Fascinate forum as well.

0 Likes
Re: L2TP w/ PSK unable to connect via the phone dataplan, has anyone come across this?
rstgermain

I wonder if the protocol is not supported? Have you contacted verizon?

0 Likes
Re: L2TP w/ PSK unable to connect via the phone dataplan, has anyone come across this?
Pyro411
Enthusiast - Level 3

As of yet no, they are on my list of people to call but I won't be able to get to that call until a little later, once I do call Verizon Tech support I will reply with the post here if it hasn't been answered by someone who has come up with a workaround on the issue.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes