Losing 3G data connection and missed phone calls.
spiffygreek

I have been having problems with my 3g data connection for a while now. It will come and go. I can be sitting outside having coffee with friends and need to check something on my phone and not have any data capabilities. I go back a few minutes later and it works for a little bit and then go out again.

I also have been missing calls. The phone wont ring or notify me that I missed a call. People will say, I called you earlier and you didn't pick up or it went straight to voicemail, or they will send me a text message to tell me to call them. I call them back and have to tell them I didn't get any calls from them. I check my call log and there is no missed calls.

Lets not get started on the battery life (or lack there of) or the iffy gps.

I went into the Verizon store yesterday and they said they would send me a refurb fascinate. I said I don't want another fascinate let alone a refurb one as this will be the 4th one since I got it last November. The first 3 were within a week of getting it for completely locking up and crashing on the Verizon logo on startup. So needless to say, I don't want another fascinate but something comparable or better. I have read on the forums that others are having the same issues and getting different phones and that's all I want. A different phone that doesn't have these problems

So after all that. Is there an fix for the 3g data connect or missed calls problem? Can  VZW employee here on the forums point me in the right direction. I haven't called customer service yet as I go to the store when I have any problems.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

0 Likes
Re: Losing 3G data connection and missed phone calls.
spiffygreek

Just got off the phone after and hour with a teir 2 tech. He did a DMU reset and I did get 3G connection to return, but its too early to say that it was fixed. I will give it  afew day and see if I lose 3G again.

0 Likes
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi spiffygreek,

I am happy to see our Technical Support Representative was able to assist you with establishing a data connection.  I am hopeful you can continue to Rule the Air.  If any additional concerns arise please let me know.

Thanks for you contribution to our community forums,

0 Likes
spiffygreek

Update:

After installing ED05 and trying it out, I am still having the missed calls and spotty 3G reception. The phone now seems to freeze up and be unresponsive alot.

I will be heading to the Verizon store tomorrow or teusday to talk to a representative unless someone on here can help me.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Spiffygreek,

I would like to ask you, since you posted your messages, have you gone and seen one of our agents at the store, or call in for assistance with your device? Are you able to access the Internet and are you receiving your incoming calls?

Please let us know if you still need assistance, thank you!

0 Likes
spiffygreek

ChristinaB_VZW...No I have not had time to go to a store or call as I have been working alot but I do have next week off and plan on making a trip to the store to see them unless you want to look into it for me?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Spiffygreek, the ED05 update has resolved the majority of the issues with missed calls, freezing, and poor battery life on the Fascinate. If you are still having these issues, I would recommend doing a factory reset, which will reset the phone to the default settings. If this is still occurring, we can replace the phone thru warranty. The warranty would still cover a Fascinate. 

0 Likes
jbbrmanoa

I am having the same problems: very spotty 3G, terrible GPS, but instead of missed calls my calls are being dropped and texts aren't being sent out. I'm already on my first refurbished phone. Is there any way that I can get a different phone?

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

jbbrmanoa wrote:

I am having the same problems: very spotty 3G, terrible GPS, but instead of missed calls my calls are being dropped and texts aren't being sent out. I'm already on my first refurbished phone. Is there any way that I can get a different phone?

Hi jbbrmanoa,

Under the manufacturer's warranty covering your device one year from the date of purchase, you would only be able to receive another Samsung Fascinate as a replacement device. This would be based manufacture defects related to the device. When did you first receive your certified like new replacement device? Where exactly are you using your device when your having connection issue with spotty coverage? If you received it prior to July 28 th, there was a software update released by Samsung to address several issues. Please use this link to be provided with steps on how to get the software update. If you have updated the software and continue to have issues wishing to get another certified like new replacement device, please send me a private message to be assisted further. I hope this helps. 

0 Likes
dfrank7262

EdW,

I'm in sort of the same boat.  I'm on my third our fourth Fascinate since last September, and I'm just about over this phone.  I've done all the software updates that have come out, but the phone is still a mess.

Getting directions is difficult, if not impossible.  Just for kicks, I asked for directions home from Tyler, TX.  It was 'searching for GPS" for over an hour before directions ever came on.  Most of the time, I have to restart the phone in order to get directions.  What a pain that is.  I've taken to reviewing directions to places online before I leave home, just because the phone probably won't come up with directions before I get to my destination.  

The phone, also, is now shutting itself off for no apparent reason.  Sometimes it restarts.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Again, very annoying, especially if I do have driving directions running (see above).  Driving home from MI last month, it shut off three times in the span of one day.  Driving home from KY yesterday, it shut off and restarted.  Problem is most of my Apps didn't come back when the phone restarted and the ones that did weren't in the same place on the phone.  Again, very annoying to have to search through things trying to find something, when you had it all set up and know where the commonly-used Apps were.

I'm still, occasionally, not getting calls.  I'll have the phone in my pocket and it never rings.  Totally startled when the voicemail alert tone sounds.  I use this phone for business, and it's so annoying to miss business calls when I'm totally available.

I'm over this phone and DO NOT want another Fascinate.  It's the worst phone I've ever had (and now I've had three or four of them).  I have several friends who got Fascinates about the same time I did, and all have changed to another phone because of all the problems.  What options are available to me?  Will the new iPhone be 4G compatible?  I'm thinking I should just bite the bullet and go that way instead of screwing around with something else.

Dana

0 Likes