Messaging App Question
lkennedy102

Two questions - is there any way to replace the device messaging app in the lower bar with a different messaging app that I've installed?  Second, how do you turn off the messaging notification "ticker" that displays in the top right corner of the messaging app showing the number of unread messages.  I don't use this app because I can't change the font, so I never read my messages from there and the number just keeps growing.

0 Likes
Re: Messaging App Question
Wildman
Legend

lkennedy102 wrote:

Two questions - is there any way to replace the device messaging app in the lower bar with a different messaging app that I've installed?  Second, how do you turn off the messaging notification "ticker" that displays in the top right corner of the messaging app showing the number of unread messages.  I don't use this app because I can't change the font, so I never read my messages from there and the number just keeps growing.

Question 1...

You should be able to press on the apps icon in the apps tray and drag it onto the dock to replace the icon, if that wont work press and hold on tray icon and you should get option to edit the shortcut.

Question 2...

This works with some devices, open messages app and press Menu / Settings / Notifications and see if there is a option to uncheck.

Just realized you are talking about the number above icon - I Do not think this is possible with stock icon but some 3rd party apps has option for this..

0 Likes
lkennedy102

When I press and hold the apps icon, in the apps tray at the bottom of the screen, nothing happens.  It's like those 4 icons (phone, contacts, messaging and apps) are locked into place.  If I press and hold on the new messaging icon that I'd like to have in the tray, the tray bar changes to a trash can only allowing me to remove the new messaging icon from the screen, not replace the stock messaging app.  I am using a Stratosphere, not a Fascinate, but put the question here since I didn't see a Fascinate space and the home screen looks just like a Fascinate.

Relative to the 2nd question, I can control this number above in the icon for the new messaging app, it's just since I'm not using the stock messaging app, the number just keeps growing as if I haven't read the messages.  Just an annoyance.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

After looking through the Samsung Stratosphere owners manual it doesn't seem that there is a option to edit or change the docks icons....  If you want to do this you may want to look at ADW or Launcher Pro, they have this option and replaces the stock launcher...

The replacement launcher will also resolve you other concern because it allows you to use any icon for the dock and uses the notification option from the app.

0 Likes
lkennedy102

I found out how to do this on a Droid forum.  Go to apps.  Go to a screen that has an open icon spot.  Choose menu - edit.  Click and hold the icon in the tray and drag it to the open slot.  Choose menu save.  Do the reverse drag to add an icon to the tray. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Cool, glad to hear you got it figured out...  Boy that is a unique setup but glad you got it resolved..

0 Likes