Microphone issues
epitaph

Hey all,

I purchased a Galaxy Nexus right after it came out and noticed that, intermittently, the microphone would just die out during the phone call.  The reception was fine, the call didn't drop, and I could hear the other person very clearly; they just couldn't hear me.  I checked to make sure I wasn't accidentally muting the phone (I wasn't), and I tried switching to speaker phone to see if it would solve the issue (it wouldn't).  When I would call the person back, the mic function was fully restored, and when I asked them to describe the issue, they said that I sounded fine, then I'd drop out and they'd hear the shred of one more syllable and then nothing until the call terminated.  I returned the phone for another phone, and I'm having the same problem.  I love the phone, love 4G, but I need it to work, first and foremost, reliably as a phone.  I did some research and other people seem to be having similar issues.  See, e.g.,

http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/1112-mic-issue.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/13988-mic-doesnt-work-sometimes.html

Can anyone provide information on whether this is a known issue?  A software issue that can (and will) be fixed in an update?  Or is it a hardware issue?  Should I return the phone?  Heck, if nothing else, misery loves company.  Anyone else noticing this?  Thanks!

Dan

0 Likes
Re: Microphone issues
gabe23

You're definitely not alone.  Here's a current thread on XDA discussing the problem:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1403051

Apparently the Charge had a similar problem that was fixed with a software update.  It would be nice to get some confirmation from Samsung/Verizon/Google that they are working on this.

0 Likes
securitynick
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just want to chime in that I'm having the same issue.  I have swapped out my Nexus, but not for this reason, although it did happen on that one as well.  Just that on that one, it only happened once and then another issue came up.  But it happened to me 3 times in one day, once today.  Getting annoying.

0 Likes
epitaph

Thanks for the additional info.  I agree that a confirmation coupled with an assurance that they were aware of and working on the problem would be helpful in making a decision on whether to keep the phone.  I guess it's not a big deal until the 15th, but at that point, I'm going to have to decide whether to go back to my old phone or roll the dice with this one.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
shealyse

I'm on my second phone with the same issue.  I would encourage everyone who is experiencing this issue to call VZW Support and report the one-way audio problem.  I know that there are a number of people calling this problem a "dropped call" which can be misleading to the support group.  I spent a great deal of time on the phone with them yesterday and the tech created a post on their internal forums and called it a "one-way audio issue".

I have until the 15th to return the unit.  If this issue cannot be identified in a short duration, I am going to return the phone.  I am sure that I will get some grief with the restocking fee, but I will definitely NOT pay any restocking fee for returning something that does not function properly.

0 Likes
andycho

I made a youtube video of what my Galaxy Nexus is doing...and Verizon is not replacing with brand new phone.

http://youtu.be/Gp1YdIRPcN4

0 Likes
shealyse

Returned my unit for a full refund and switched back to my Thunderbolt.  Worst phone I ever carried!

0 Likes
scorch968
Enthusiast - Level 3

That looks like the LTE login issue described in Anandtech's article. I think they baseband just needs some cleaner code. It looks like the LTE radio is attempting to make connection, fails, and for some reason is not retrying. You will get the same result enabling and disabling airplane mode. It's intermittent however. I noticed this issue more with 4.0.1, make sure you are running the latest ROM version 4.0.2 .

0 Likes
gabe23

Scorch, I disabled LTE on my phone and continued to have the problem.  I also have a friend who lives in an area with no 4G coverage so he's never used LTE but continues to have the microphone problem.  The issue is resolved by hanging up and calling back - no need to go to airplane mode.

Everyone please make sure that Google is aware of this problem also: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

0 Likes
hockey930

My buddy and I are both having this one way calling issue. 

If either of us are on our phones for generally over 8 minutes the other party can not hear either of us anymore.

We are both in Charlotte NC.

Making the same phone calls over and over again is getting very aggravating.

My phone is totally stock and this has been happening since day 1. I gave it a few times thinking my new phone can't possibly be messing up, but I was wrong.

0 Likes