Re: Microphone issues
milehighg8
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had this issue since day 1 (about a month now), and looks like I am going to have to return this phone due to the out-bound audio cutting out issue. I've read all the posts in the other forums discussing this problem, and it seems that Verizon, Samsung, and Google are not willing to admit there is an issue.  I love this phone, and really don't want to return it, but what choice do I have? Is there someplace other than these forums where we can complain and be heard?

0 Likes
gman265
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue.  I purchased the phone in December and only now am beginning to experience this mic drop out issue.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
triadguy

UPDATE!!!! Just got off the phone with Verizon Customer Service after they sent me a replacement phone and it has the same problem. Samsung issued an internal document to Verizon on Jan 21st. "One way Call Quality Issue" Verizon sent them some phones to test and they found the that the DTMF tones were overlapping during calls. A software fix is in the works for a February release.

0 Likes
andycho

Yeah but they sent you a replacement phone which is a recondition phone...I had mine replaced with new one..in the store. Check to see if there are any more problems with your replacement phone..Verizon likes to replace $300 phone with reconditioned(used) phones ...which people returned it because of similar problems.

0 Likes
gman265
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have noticed that this only happens when bluetooth is turned on. Regardless of whether it is connected or not.

0 Likes
gman265
Enthusiast - Level 1

The DTMF tones thing sounds a bit fishy. What does that have to do with a call that has already been established and on going for several minutes?

0 Likes
triadguy

No, they sent me a brand new phone!

0 Likes
triadguy

I have never turned bluetooth on and had the problem. I switched my DTMF tones to "long" and it hasn't repeated the problem.

0 Likes
securitynick
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is probably a coincidence. The dtmf tones have to do with dialing a number. They are the sound the numbers make. So when you press "5", it knows you are pressing "5" from the sound & not because you pressed it. The reason for long or short is that sometimes short is too short of a duration of the tone for the telephone switch to recognize it. So adjusting to long gives a longer play of the tone to fix that problem. Cell phones obviously don't have a dial tone, but the call ultimately routes though the land line system to connect the call, plus when you are in an auto attendant to, "press 1 for...", that's why you need dtmf tones to begin with. I really don't think this has anything to do with it, if it did, people would probably be complaining about calls not connecting to the right numbers. Unfortunately someone probably thought this would be a good technical term to throw out there & hopefully believe it. No offense to you. Mine got resolved by swapping out my sim card. Don't know if that was a fluke, but heard that on some other forums & tried it out & haven't experienced it since.

zachf
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the SAME problem since I got mine (running 4.1) until I just updated it today to 4.2.2 and now my mic works and people can hear me. The stranger thing is that I asked Verizon a couple months ago if they could fix it and they referred me to Samsung for warranty issues. Well, after sending in the phone (after hunting down a replacement on craigslist), Samsung deemed it as BER which I found meant beyond economical repair. I got the nexus back in the mail yesterday with this letter/explanation and figured i'd surrender. Verizon said it would be a hardware issue, not software. Samsung said it was a hardware and my hardware was corrupt.

Funny thing is it now works after 6months of not working after a SOFTWARE update... Just figured I'd let people know and hope it worked for you. Also, I have about twenty videos of people from the Samsung repair warehouse on my phone. So much for factory resetting the device before I sent it to them only to get it back with 30 minutes of video. 

0 Likes