Microphone stopped working
Eziox

Going into class Wednesday night, my microphone was working fine. Two hours go by with the phone mostly on my lap, and then the microphone is cut. It hasn't worked since. I've tried changing batteries, blowing air into slots, hard resets, even a factory reset. I even have the phone in a bowl of rice as a last ditch effort. It was working perfectly fine and now out of no where, it doesn't work at all.

By not working at all, I mean nothing. I have to scream for it to pick up anything. Doesn't work in Google now, doesn't work in Voice to Text, doesn't work on calls...doesn't work for anything.

Please, any one help?

0 Likes
Re: Microphone stopped working
tmarek

You need to contact Verizon!!!!!   This sounds like a software problem. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Eziox!

Let's keep the screaming for ice cream, not your phone! Thank you so much for all of the troubleshooting you've already completed. Every single step you took is exactly what I would recommend in this issue, minus the rice due to the particles.

Nonetheless you've done it all! I would have to say this may be a hardware issue.

How long have you had your phone? Is there any physical or liquid damage? I'm wondering if you're still able to receive a warranty replacement!

Please advise so we can get you back up and running!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Nickle28

I noticed that my microphone stopped working with texting and email.  It doesn't even launch the microphone software.  It works fine on speaker phone, so I don't think it is a hardware issue.  It seems to have happened after I got upgraded to Jelly Bean 4.1.1.  Is there a fix for this?

0 Likes
SuperHaitian

I recently purchased a brand new Nexus and had the same problem occur. Here is what is happening, there is a glitch that makes the phone think that a headset with mic is active (plugged in) and thus turns off the mic and speaker. It is somewhat of a hardware and software issue, but I'm no expert.

SOLUTION: Go to Google Play website and download the FREE app SOUNDABOUT. Install and then play some music or don't. Check the "WIRED HEADSEAT DETECTION" box off within that app. Sound should resume. Once you do that, you can check it back on and it will be fine. Sound might be lost everytime you plug in a headset. Good luck!

0 Likes
beanlax

Hello All,

My wife's phone has the same issue. The phone was purchased in September 2012 and stopped working January 2013. Our phone has the exact same issue. We tried using the app(SOUNDABOUT paid version) to fix, but that did not resolve the issue. I have been working with Samsung to get the phone fixed with no success. I have sent the phone in twice and both time the phone has come back still broken. I have a third ticket with Samsung and before I send the phone back again I wanted to see what other options I might have. Also, Samsung does not offer any replacement phones. So I am afraid that we are stuck with a broken phone.

MilissaM_VZW is there any way we can do an even exchange with a working phone. We are still under the original 1 year warranty if that counts for anything.

Thanks for the assistance!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your post beanlax. You've done quite a bit to try to resolve this. This does appear to be a hardware issue and as long as no damage to the phone it can be replaced via warranty. Have you contacted VZW about this before? You can contact technical support at 800-922-0204 option 3, visit a corporate store, or respond to my follow request and send me a direct message.

Marquia_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Shinnen13
Contributor - Level 1

I am having a similar problem as well. For whatever reason, when I am using the handset, nobody can hear me. If I use the speaker phone function, then it works fine.

I've tried the factory reset, cleaning it, and the like, and it has never made sense why it works fine on speaker phone but not as a regular handset. It has been a great phone otherwise, until about 3 months ago when this all started happening without reason...besides possibly the 4.2. update

0 Likes