Minor Fascinate Update Coming Soon?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

looks like verizon has a small update planned for Fascinate owners.  It isn't Froyo and doesn't fix the main issues that people complain about like GPS or the Bing default but takes care of a few of the little nagging ones like the search button ending a call and the audible signal lost alert.

"

• Instant notification of Visual Voice Mail in the messaging bar.
  • Improved sync between phone and e-mail accounts.
  • Prompt notification when switching to airplane mode.
  • Faster switching from 3G to 1x RTT.
  • Search phone while on a call.
  • Improved Exchange password alerts.
  • No Service audio alert removed.
  • "

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-gearing-update

0 Likes
Re: Minor Fascinate Update Coming Soon?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Looks like it's available now.  It's a small update, only ~700KB.  Just go to Settings-About Phone-System Updates and choose Check New. May need to have wifi turned off also.

0 Likes
shemach1ne

Great to hear Verizon is rolling out an OTA update for leaked Fascinate bugs. I'm an AT&T customer who's been planning to jump ship to Verizon for an Android phone. 1st I was interested in the Incredible, then the Droid X. I've decided on the Fascinate. AT&T is rolling out an OTA update for the Captivate that includes the GPS fix. Do you know if Verizon's Fascinate OTA includes the GPS fix?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It's not "officially" listed in the bug fixes for the update.  I used navigation a couple hours ago so I can't really tell if there's been a fix or not since I only have the delayed lock after not using GPS for an extended period of time.  I have to take a short trip tomorrow morning and will be using google nav so I'll post an update afterwards.

0 Likes
shemach1ne

Thx for the info  PJNC284  I'll check back next wk for your test results :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

welp, the answer is no, it doesn't fix the laggy gps lock.  At least on mine anyways.  It took about 3min for google nav to start routing which was fine in my case where I kind of knew the next couple of turns but not really that great if you need directions immediately.  Still a great phone but it's a shame that it still suffers from the same issues as the other galaxy s phones eventhough it was released a good bit later.

0 Likes
shemach1ne

Thanks for getting back with your GPS results after the Verizon Fascinate update.   :smileyhappy:

And yes,  it is a bit puzzling that Verizon's Samsung Galaxy S  does not include the GPS fix that the AT&T users received.

That said, after all my research and narrowing down to the Fascinate vs the Droid X, I'm still willing to give the Fascinate

a try.

0 Likes