Music Player stops after 1 hour
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

The stock music player will just stop playing after 1 hour of playback. I personally do not like any additional apps to this phone because there are bugs and issues with it that end up factory resetting every other week just to prove it is not a bad app. Sadly replacing the hardware will not fix the problem as it seems to be software related like a lot of the other issues out there. I admit I only listen to my music across a Bluetooth stereo headset.

Connect Bluetooth stereo headset

Press play button the Bluetooth headset

Music player (the music player that is available after a factory reset) loads and starts playing music

It will stream for an hour and then stop (this can be right during the playback of a song)

Press play button on the Bluetooth headset

The last song that was playing starts at the beginning

It will stream for an hour then stop

Music player (the music player that is available after a factory reset) loads and starts playing music

Press play button on the music player

It will stream for an hour and then stop (this can be right during the playback of a song)

Wake phone from locked screen

See the music player on the locked screen and the song it was last playing

Unlock the screen

The music player is gone, not even available or visible in the notifications bar or pulldown

I would guess the OS killed it

Press play button on the music player

Wake phone from locked screen

See the music player on the locked screen and the song it was last playing

DO NOT UNLOCK THE SCREEN

Pull down the music player on the lock screen and select play

The last song that was playing starts at the beginning

It will stream for an hour then stop

I installed Google music the other day just to see if it had the same issue, but it just kept playing till I told it to stop which is what I thought this music player should do. I understand it can be a battery issue, but if I choose to use my phone as a mp3 player well I expect it to work as one. Right now its not acting like a mp3 player at all.

There is no incoming call or text message when this happens. A matter of fact when I do get a call or text while listening it stops the music to play the ringtone which is fine. Sadly I usually have to stop music playback all together and take off so I do not know if it will go till the original hour or start a fresh hour before stopping again like the 3 above activities.

Does anybody use the built music player?

Have you seen this behavior on your device?

I have had 2 different hardware behave exactly the same way.

0 Likes
Re: Music Player stops after 1 hour
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

All right so had an email come in and I followed the web link to check out some information. The whole time I was streaming my music to my Bluetooth. I could see in the notification bar the music player play indicator.

I closed the browser windows.

The music broke up.

I looked at the notification bar the music player play indicator was there.

The music stopped.

It then disappeared right in front of me!

I exited the browser, email software, and confirmed the music player was no longer even in the notification pull down.

It had been an hour like all other times.

I hit the play button on my Bluetooth and it started up from the beginning of the last song that was playing.

It seems to me the OS decided the music player was no longer being used and cleaning up a none used app. Sadly it was being used and it shouldn't have been auto closed. No I do not use any apps or task killers to auto close running apps and services.

I guess most folks that use this to play mp3 music are using a different program to play their files.

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Hello longplaypg. Thank you for the great explanation you provided regarding your situation. After investigating the situation, I was able to determine that there may be an issue with the software. I'm more inclined to believe that this is case when did not encounter the same issue when using a third party application. Have you had your device replaced? Have we completed any troubleshooting to address the issue?

While I can understand your concerns about downloading third party applications, I currently use MixZing Basic and it works great. It is available in the market and is free.  This will allow you to play your music without the inconvenience of it stopping after an hour  and without replacing your phone. 

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

ChaunceyM_VZW wrote:

Hello longplaypg. Thank you for the great explanation you provided regarding your situation. After investigating the situation, I was able to determine that there may be an issue with the software. I'm more inclined to believe that this is case when did not encounter the same issue when using a third party application. Have you had your device replaced? Have we completed any troubleshooting to address the issue?

While I can understand your concerns about downloading third party applications, I currently use MixZing Basic and it works great. It is available in the market and is free.  This will allow you to play your music without the inconvenience of it stopping after an hour  and without replacing your phone. 

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

I have no reason to believe this is a hardware issue especially when I can load another music player such as Google Music and play the same files for about 8 hours straight and run my battery dead.

My device was replaced at 31 days after purchase with a factory refurbished fascinate because it would not take an update. This was of course for a different reason and back during the 2.1 days.

Nobody has completed any troubleshooting with me on this issue. I have followed online troubleshooting and  other items I have found at forums. I have done the usually battery pull, factory reset, and not loading 3rd party apps resolutions to always have the same problem and a few others. (phantom button presses, alarm clock settings, and I can go on..)

I will take a look at MixZing Basic and compare it to Goggle Music. What I would rather see is the original music player get fixed. What is the best way to be taken serious about this issue?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for posting.  @ longplaypg : I do want you to feel like you are taken seriously, so in order to resolve your issue can you please PM me your name and mobile telephone number so I can research your account and get you a resolution? Thanks.

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

SammuelP I dropped you a note last night.

Also last I did a factory reset for other reasons.

Shortly after activating my phone I added my Bluetooth headset.

I started the music player and it ran about 1 hour exactly.

It had not updated any "installed" apps listed in the market place yet, but it indicated there were ones that could receive updates.

I wonder if I can add my Bluetooth and play music without activating. I suppose the one test I have not completed yet is not adding the or using the Bluetooth and see if stops at 1 hr that way.

So even after the ED05 update and factory reset the problem still persists. I think I have the basics I know they will ask me to do when I call support.

I don't think I am missing calls at the moment (ED05 may have fixed this, but is was random for me so I can't confirm).

I don't think I am missing texts or texts going to incorrect recipients (ED05 may have fixed this, but is was random for me so I can't confirm).

There is a problem with the alarm clock and seems to be software related.

There is a problem with the music player and seems to be software related.

There is a problem with the 4 main control button on the screen (menu, home, back, search) where they are being pressed, but no one is physically touching the screen. Phantom button presses! Didn't happened during 2.1, only started after 2.2 update. Causes screen shots to be taken when to the lock phone, backing out of programs you just opened, home screen displaying after just opening an app, and I can go on.  Sadly this one is more random and I can not give specific steps to reproduce it. Oddly enough on my second restart of the phone it happened as I was trying to use the market after accepting the agreement. I ended up shutting down the phone and it didn't happen the rest of the night. Of course I was listening to music for an hour and not touching the phone at all.

Battery life lowered. I have to laugh at the trick to hide battery life issues in ED05, but in reality I gained no extra hours in use by displaying my battery level at 50% and my phone saying it is really like 30%. Nice trick, but did not impress me. Before ED05 at least my displayed battery and reported % looked about the same.

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

All right update on my progress...

Since this last reset and receiving some updates are finished processing I noticed a change in the behavior of the phone. It is almost normal for playing music with the stock player.

Right now It seems as the music will play until I stop It or I get a text message or phone call. I do NOT have any additional email accounts configured on the additional stock email (gmail configured on gmail app).

I have had It stop like the old 1 hour days after receiving a text message. Interesting the text message notification played, I unlocked the phone which stops the notification, the music started playing while I read and replied to the text message. Oddly enough the music stopped, when I checked the lock screen the music player was absent in the notification bar, the music disc icon on the lock screen was present. Pressed play on the Bluetooth headset and It started the song from the beginning. I am waiting to see if It will go 1 hour now or longer.

I am already planning my next factory reset to see if I add email back in how It will behave with the current updates in the market. Please keep in mind my original configuration had these updates and was messing up. I do not like the fact that after several factory reset It is not behaving 100% the same after each factory reset. I know of 1 difference which is the updates forced by the market for certain apps which I may have to let apply before adding extra email accounts to the non gmail app.

I wish I could get my hands on the original Samsung firmware prior to Verizon modifying It. It certainly would help in diagnosing if the problem is a Verizon or Samsung issue.

0 Likes