My Fascinate issues
nylawyer2000

I'm coming from a Blackberry (Storm) and I like the fascinate, but found some issues:

1) Unable to set specifc ringtones for certain contacts

2) there is no spell check for emails

3) unable to delete or hide certain applications (all of the verizon apps, akkshare, city id, skype, etc)

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the phone.

The last update that fixed some keyboard issues seems to be a good fix.  Hopefully, new updates will correct other minor problems

0 Likes
Re: My Fascinate issues
nylawyer2000

oh yea...

looks like there is no way to backup the phone in its entirety.  Obviously my emails are safe, contacts are synced from google and so is my calendar.

I am talking about settings and defintiely apps.

How do you back that stuff up?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

1) Unable to set specifc ringtones for certain contacts

For some reason it's only available for contacts locally on the phone and not the ones stored in gmail.  I haven't tried it but there's an option to export contacts from inside of the contacts tab (hit menu button and should be under More).  You can try turning off contact sync in the sync settings, export the contacts to the sd card and import them back. When you go to import, it'll give you the option to import into the actual "phone" address book or google.

2) there is no spell check for emails

Don't think there's any sort of spell check except for the autocorrect options in the keyboard settings.

3) unable to delete or hide certain applications (all of the verizon apps, akkshare, city id, skype, etc)

Can't be done.  Well it can but you'll need to google that. :smileywink:

How do you back that stuff up? 

With 2.1, paid apps reappear in the market after a factory reset.  Once 2.2 comes, all apps will be backed up and automatically redownloaded.  As far as system settings like sound settings, etc, I use MyBackupPro from the market.  Believe it's about $5 but it's well worth the cost especially on 2.1.  If you did the googling in step 3, you'll also have the option of backing up EVERYTHING including app data and can restore to a wiped phone.

0 Likes
promoman

I'm having the same problem with auto-correct.  I've turned it on with the settings, but it doesn't seem to be doing it anywhere.

Where's the specific setting that really DOES turn this on and which areas is it supposed to auto-correct? I can't believe this phone wouldn't offer auto-correct/spellcheck in email. That's ridiculous.

Otherwise, I like this phone a lot, but this is such a basic feature nowadays I really can't imagine that it's not in there somewhere.

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately there is not a spell checker built into the device. The android market however should make this option available for you. Just keep in mind all applications are from third party developers and are download at your own risk.

0 Likes
mrsvshine

The way i set tones to my phone, one way is download ringdroid. U can edit music as ringtones. That's how i set mines. or aRing app.

0 Likes