NFC tag does not work in Galaxy Nexus Phone
twanika

I tried to touch pair my Motorola Elite Flip with the Nexus Galaxy and it would not pair.  When will this feature be available?

0 Likes
Re: NFC tag does not work in Galaxy Nexus Phone
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Have you enabled NFC on your phone in Settings>Wireless and Networks>More>NFC?

Are you getting an error message or is nothing at all happening when you try to pair the BT headset to the phone?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

twanika wrote:

I tried to touch pair my Motorola Elite Flip with the Nexus Galaxy and it would not pair.  When will this feature be available?

You have to ask Google...

The device may be NFC capable, but Google has not enabled everything through the software.  I have the Motorola Elite Sliver and spoken to Motorola and that's what they told me.  Since Google controls the updates for this device, and sends it out it's best to send a feature enhancement request with Google.

Aside from that it's a Niche.  Once it's paired you will never use it again until you completely unpair and forget it through your device.

0 Likes
twanika

I get an error message. 

0 Likes
twanika

Thanks for the response.  I had a Nokia C7 and it paired via NFC.  Are you saying that Google controls the NFC features in the Samsung Galaxy phone?  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes. Without the proper profiles some things will not work as expected.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There may be a software in the market that allows you to make your own tags and profiles.  I am checking to see if I can find it.  Also you can buy blank tags and set those up to do some things.  Was watching my coworker set up a tag at his office where it'll turn on BT pair with his office speakers and stuff like that was pretty nifty.

0 Likes
rmarkwald
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep, I use NFC Task Launcher, $2 in the Market.  I create actions for various NFC tags that I bought from tagstand.com.  NOTE:  You'll want to purchase the pre-formatted NDEF tags, not blank ones.  There is a bug (admitted by Google) that causes blank non-formatted tags to not be formatted correctly, so buying the pre-formatted ones gets around this.  They are really slick!

0 Likes
thecodebenders

You'll likely need to install a custom kernel (Search something like... IMO LeanKernel Galaxy Nexus) that enables some of the lower level features of the wonderful NXP chip that's in these phones.  The hardware is capable of anything you could imagine in the ~13mHz RFID space as well as the NFC functionality.  I've been hacking mine to pieces and have it operating very similarly to the hardware available from http://www.openpcd.org/ for a research project.

0 Likes
gnapoleon

I wrote a quick blog post on setting those up: http://www.frenchguys.com/wordpress/nfc-tags-android-galaxy-nexus/

Hoping it can be of use to people.

0 Likes