Need a resolution to back up assistance with my Fascinate
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok so I had all my blackberry contacts transferred over to my new Fascinate.  Then of course they synced with my new gmail account, but now I can't get the back up assistant to recognize all my contacts.  It backs up the 8 I entered on the phone and nothing else.  I have over 1000 contacts in this little jewel and can't imagine having to retype them to the phone should something happen.  So is there anyone who can tell me a quick fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need a resolution to back up assistance with my Fascinate
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If you go into contacts, hit the menu button and choose more, it'll give you the option to import/export contacts.  Just choose export-export to sdcard and repeat for import and choose Phone. That'll put all of your gmail contacts on the local phone storage.  Just remember to turn off contact sync in gmail.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

it's a google OS, so it tries to force you into using google. I recently manually deleted my google contacts and added them back into the PHONE (there's a novel idea, the phone having my contacts instead of google). short of manually entering them and choosing "phone", I don't know.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If you go into contacts, hit the menu button and choose more, it'll give you the option to import/export contacts.  Just choose export-export to sdcard and repeat for import and choose Phone. That'll put all of your gmail contacts on the local phone storage.  Just remember to turn off contact sync in gmail.

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

- search this forum on 'contacts' or 'backup assistant'.. believe this has been discussed many times

- cliff notes version of one solution

-  Go into contacts....Export your 'google' contacts to your SD card...Then 'Import' those contacts from the SD card  into the Fascinates 'Phone' contact list.     (  Phone basically has 2 phonebooks...Phone / Google  ).

Google list will stay synced with your gmail account.   ( can be edited on your gmail website as well. )

Phone list will backup with Verizons backup assistant ( and can be edited at verizon website as well. )

You can then 'link' those contacts together.

I have not done the above !!   Mileage may vary.

I just use the Google contacts list on my 3 Fascinates.  They are backed up to Gmail account so I dont care if they

are also backed up to Verizon.

One plus however to having them in the phones 'Phone' contact list is that you can then assign custom ring tones to contacts.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

ladybell wrote:

Ok so I had all my blackberry contacts transferred over to my new Fascinate.  Then of course they synced with my new gmail account, but now I can't get the back up assistant to recognize all my contacts.  It backs up the 8 I entered on the phone and nothing else.  I have over 1000 contacts in this little jewel and can't imagine having to retype them to the phone should something happen.  So is there anyone who can tell me a quick fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

the phone has 2 types of contacts. google contacts and phone contacts

google contacts are backuped to your gmail account, i think you can export them there

phone contacts are backed up via backup assistant.  cant remember what all you can do with it

you can export your gmail contacts via your account and keep that file on your pc, phone ect if you like for extra backup.

if the phone dies, whenever you setup a new android phone it will pull the google contacts fromt he gmail

i did a factory reset that wipes all data, reset up the phone, all contacts back

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Then I hope backup assistant is working. For a long time it wasn't. I would rather have the phone sync the contacts with google then potentially lose them.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok so I have exported the contacts to the sd card.  Or at least I think.  Not sure how to check this for confirmation. 

Now how do I import them to the phone?

0 Likes
ladybell
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok sorry but I just figured out how to import to the phone.  Now just waiting.  Will checkin when it completes,  to resolve my questions.

0 Likes