Network locked Paid Off Phone
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

Posting on Behalf of my friend who was part of my account where I am the Account Owner

I am an ex-verizon user.

I purchased Samsung S10+ via samsung with device payment with verizon many months back.

I had to move back to Indiaurgently , I paid off the device.

After paying off, verizon customer service told its unlocked ( I have chat histories ) and told me you can use with any carrier.

After moving back to India we put Indian carrier sim, it picks up network and immediately fails with error "sorry your device cannot be activated on another carrier right now. contact verzion"

We did multiple escalations to customer service, but now they are not helping me since I am not verizon customer any more.

Is there anyway i can escalate this to higher ?

Labels (1)
Re: Network locked Paid Off Phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

koustubh2106, we understand your concern in regard to your device. How long was this device activated on the Verizon Wireless network?

LauraL_VZW

0 Likes
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was active for about 6 months. The phone was purchased in March 2019.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

koustubh2106, the device does need to only be active on our network for 60 days to be unlocked. It does vary on the carrier that you are using if the device will work. Have you tried a different carrier?

LauraL_VZW

0 Likes
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, my friend is trying to make it work with other service providers in India but it doesn't work. The carriers support their phone & there are no issues with other folks using the same phone model with those carriers. My friends have put up a case with FCC to help expedite this matter.

0 Likes
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

The message they're getting on the Samsung phone is “your device cannot be activated on another carrier right now. Please contact Verizon”

Samsung told them that firmware is blocked by Verizon. Already consulted Verizon customer service and they mentioned to bring the phone back to US to unlock it “. This is definitely not feasible for them at this point of time. And hence, they've reached out to FCC to mediate.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're disappointed to learn the device is still showing locked by Verizon, koustubh2106. The only reason the device would still be locked is if the device was on a lost and stolen list or if your account had a balance that was not paid. Did you have Post pay service or Prepaid services with Verizon? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Danielle,

I currently have Post pay services with Verizon. The phone in question was on my account for several months. When my friend knew he had to travel back to India, we paid the phone off in full. We then had a chat with Verizon Customer Care too (we have the history) who confirmed that the phone is unlocked. Only then had they gone to India. And now they're stuck with this issue for about 2 months now. This is really a poor display of customer service that Verizon boasts about.

How do you expect people to take phones on monthly payments when you can't even unlock it?

This is really disheartening & causing too many trouble for me & my friend (phone's owner).

So, they've reached out to FCC to mediate in expediting as we've run out of ways.

mama23dogs
Legend

@koustubh2106   I think you're missing part of the previous post.  If the related account is not current, then Verizon may not have unlocked the phone automatically.  Check your bill.

0 Likes
koustubh2106
Enthusiast - Level 2

@mama23dogs, the account is current and active. Only the phone user has moved out of US.

Can you please let me know what needs to be checked on the bill & in which section?

0 Likes