New to Fascinate
ncfatboy

My daughter has a Fascinate and I've been determined to be the one to figure out why it doesn't work too well. Freezes, hangs, etc. First thing I did was delete some of the apps, clear some videos... it seems to be working ok, but I am not using it very much...

My questions are....

How can I tell what is using the phone memory?

How can I tell what is using the SD Card (8GB)?

Internal phone storage - Available Space is 0.976GB

SD Card - Total space 7.39GB Available Space 6.88GB

I've been trying to figure out how to set the camera to use the SD Card, which, by all the things I have found online, under camera settings there should be a storage option to set, but since I do not have one, I'm thinking Fascinate only takes pictures if you have an SD Card and saves them there?

What are things to look for to improve performance? What are things not to do that will kill performance.... ?

0 Likes
Re: New to Fascinate
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ncfatboy,

Outstanding questions! And I'm hoping to reciprocate with some fantastic answers to get your daughter's phone running smoothly again. First, regarding how you can tell what is using the phone memory, it's really going to be anything not being saved to the SD card, which includes virtually everything other than pictures and videos. Regarding what's using the SD card memory, well, you can verify pictures and videos are being sent to the SD card by opening the camera app and making sure there is an icon that looks like an SD card on the screen. You can control settings from that screen and what gets saved where by hitting the triangle at the top of the phone when the app is launched and then hitting the settings "cog". Next, what I'd ultimately recommend doing for a freezing phone is enabling safe mode http://vz.to/uaN4PO . That will disable third party apps so we can better isolate the issue. Please share results.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ncfatboy

Evan,

Thanks. I'm not using it a great deal, but deleting apps and videos seems to have helped.

When I open the camera app and get into the settings. There is nothing there to configure where things get stored. I have the SD Card icon.. so they must be going to the SD Card, but I cannot set it. At least I do not see anything that would let me set it. Thanks for the safe mode info, I will try it if it hangs....

John

0 Likes
ncfatboy

And how do I set up a parental device admin? The phone has a place for device admins, but there is nothing to select from there...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us informed John!  I'm glad that deleting some of your apps and videos helped.  Here's a link to the camera settings option for future reference: http://vz.to/168AAzy.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ncfatboy

Yes, nothing for storage at that link either...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question ncfatboy! On the Samsung Facinate, you may set up Usage Controls. Here is how:http://bit.ly/RY6zfW Let us know if you have further questions or concerns! Here to assist.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes