New to smartphones and Verizon
Mullaney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently purchased (6/28/11) a Samsung Fascinate from Verizon and have encounted many of the problems I've found listed on the forum.  There was a major update done in the store where I bought the phone and it seems as though many people have had multiple problems since that time.  My phone frequently turns on the "airplane mode" by itself and I cannot always turn it off without having to turn the power off completely and then on again.

I have also had the "circle with a line through it"? icon appear on the top of the screen and then have been unable to make outgoing calls or the person answering could not hear me.  The battery does not hold a charge for more than a few hours even when the phone is not in use and I get messages indicating the network is not available for no apparent reason.  All of these things have happened while I am in my own home and my computer has no problem with the wireless network.

I initially assumed that all of the problems were due to my inexperience with the phone but I've had it now for a month and went into the store for a workshop one morning and have also taken the phone back to the store once where they took the battery out and put it back in again and suggested I try it for awhile longer to see if the problems continued.  I'm concerned that the phone is no longer being offered by Verizon and beginning to think that I should take it back and ask for another model.   

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New to smartphones and Verizon
Mullaney
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Herbb623,

I eventually went online with tech support and they are sending me a replacement phone (another fascinate).   I'm hoping that will be ok but my confidence is shaky.  The tech was very nice and had me do a system reset but it didn't fix the problem.  I hadn't been able to download the system updates so I'm hoping the replacement phone will have them on it and maybe that will make the difference. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Herbb623
Contributor - Level 3

First thing to check would be the android/software version you have on the phone.

Menu....Settings...About phone...

Scroll down list.

Baseband and Build number should end in ED05.

ED05 was just recently released and seems to fix quite a few problems.

If you dont have ED05, you should consider updating your phone.

Same place..at top.  System updates.. Check New..

Backing up anything that is important first !!

( contacts, calendar, messages, etc. etc. )

You can also search other messages here. Verizon has supplied

update instruction 'links' in some other posts.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Mullaney wrote:

I recently purchased (6/28/11) a Samsung Fascinate from Verizon and have encounted many of the problems I've found listed on the forum.  There was a major update done in the store where I bought the phone and it seems as though many people have had multiple problems since that time.  My phone frequently turns on the "airplane mode" by itself and I cannot always turn it off without having to turn the power off completely and then on again.

I have also had the "circle with a line through it"? icon appear on the top of the screen and then have been unable to make outgoing calls or the person answering could not hear me.  The battery does not hold a charge for more than a few hours even when the phone is not in use and I get messages indicating the network is not available for no apparent reason.  All of these things have happened while I am in my own home and my computer has no problem with the wireless network.

I initially assumed that all of the problems were due to my inexperience with the phone but I've had it now for a month and went into the store for a workshop one morning and have also taken the phone back to the store once where they took the battery out and put it back in again and suggested I try it for awhile longer to see if the problems continued.  I'm concerned that the phone is no longer being offered by Verizon and beginning to think that I should take it back and ask for another model.   

Too late now for a new model, you had to exchange it within 30 days I think
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The Return policy has been 14 days since late January or early February.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Ann154 wrote:
The Return policy has been 14 days since late January or early February.
Thank You, I stand corrected..
0 Likes
Mullaney
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Herbb623,

I eventually went online with tech support and they are sending me a replacement phone (another fascinate).   I'm hoping that will be ok but my confidence is shaky.  The tech was very nice and had me do a system reset but it didn't fix the problem.  I hadn't been able to download the system updates so I'm hoping the replacement phone will have them on it and maybe that will make the difference. 

0 Likes