Nexus was turned off, then froze... what drained the battery?
unkfrank

I have a 3 month old Nexus running the latest Android OS. I don't have many apps or widgets, and the ones I do have, I have set for manual updating, so I can see what is going on. Periodically, I turn my phone off, like at night when I don't want to hear from anybody. I did it early this morning, but could not get the phone to turn back on - the power button wasn't functional.

I should have done it from the start, but upon taking the phone to a VZW store (which turned out to be just a 'premium retailer' - no repair or service offered), we popped the battery, and the phone came back on after pressing the power button. The salesman tried checking some settings (actually, only the 'sleep' setting, changing it from 5 to 1 minute. I noticed that the battery level was showing the need for a charging, and I know the phone was at around 75% when I turned it off. The reason I didn't pop the battery originally was that I was having some trouble with the power button not always working when it should (there have been a few times where I could only turn the phone back on by pressing the bottom half of the power button).

The phone was off for about 4 hours. When I got back home an got it plugged into the charged, I took a look at the battery usage, and the attached is what I found. A basically straight-line drop in battery power, I am guessing from the time I turned the phone off until after I got it back on charge.

So I'm wondering... what caused the power drop? If the phone was off, the power shouldn't drain like that, if at all. Even running all my apps and widgets, the phone shouldn't get so low so fast. And nothing has been updated in at least a few days, and I have turned the phone on and off since the last thing was updated.

Has anyone seen power activity and phone activity like this before?

Thanks!

Frank

0 Likes
Re: Nexus was turned off, then froze... what drained the battery?
StarKillerX1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Haven't seen that but last night I had something similar occur.

Last night I powered my phone down, while fully charged, before I went to bed and when I woke up this morning it would not turn on so I plugged it into the charger and it showed the battery at 0%.

Then just a short while ago I left work and ran to the store. My phone was fully charged when I left and I was only gone 30 minutes. The wifi was off and during that time I recieved one text which I read and then turned off the screen but in those 30 minutes my charge dropped from 100% to 80%.

Now my phone, and the battery is a year old (called the local Verizon store where I got it and believe it or not I'm 1 week out of warranty.  lol!) and while the battery life has always sucked, and I might expect some reduction in it's charge capacity but such an aburpt reduction has me wondering what's going on.

0 Likes