November is Over December is here and what a surprise still no FROYO
yoworm

I am still surprised at the lack of concern for current customers.  How hard is it to provide an update that everyone else already has.  Is a verizon representative ready to talk about why the Froyo release has yet to happen?  Or maybe even give us a date of when we will finally get this almost obsolete update.

0 Likes
Re: November is Over December is here and what a surprise still no FROYO
yaboidh

man i know you feel. im here waiting myself. i think verizon are playing us to the left. you will get a **bleep** answer from them. i think they are blowing it off for the release of the 4g lte and whatever phone is coming out with it ( still dont know what phone that will be either). come on verizon you say the most important part of verizon is " YOUR CUSTOMERS". SO prove it and give us 2.2 or 2.3 before you make ppl talk negative about you. GIVE US CUSTOMERS WHAT WE WANT. WITHOUT US THERE IS NO VERIZON!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Sigh... and the Droid Eris was supposed to be updated from 1.5 to 2.1 during the first quarter of 2010. In reality it was late May before those owners got the official OTA update.

You have to remember Samsung has probably sent the base OS to Verizon. Verizon has to test it, add their "required" applications (i.e. Bing) or tell Samsung to build a version with it. Verizon tests it again. If it approved, decide if they are going to send the update via OTA or send it back to Samsung for a manual update where the user would connect the phone to a computer and download the update to the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
yoworm

Ann

I understand that verizon has to force their bloatware on us but that still does not explain why they are behind the other carriers who have had their updates for several months.  Not only that but if they are this late on 2.2 how late will they be with 2.3 which is almost ready. 

As for the other people who think that we should just be patient and the update will come think about this way.  We are roped into a two year contract and if the update is 6 months behind we have already been forced to keep a phone that does not do what it is advertised to do.  The least they could do is send a message stating that they realize how behind they are and hope to make it up in some way.  For example why am i paying for unlimited internet when my fascinate will not even view the majority of videos online due to the lack of flash 10.1?  I am sure Big Verizon could careless about me paying for unlimited internet and not getting full use out of it as they are the same company that charges you 50+ dollars for unlimited home internet, then 30 for unlimited cell internet which is not really unlimited as they still charge you for tethering.  Maybe I am confused as to what unlimited means but it does not mean unlimited if I can not tether my own internet for my personal use. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
And what about the other Galaxy S phones in USA? Do they have 2.2 yet? I know AT&T's version doesn't have it yet.

As for your second paragraph, the same argument came from the Eris, Droid 1, Incredible, Droid X owners for the first months they were available and waiting for the update to the next OS version and the LG Ally owners are still waiting. It's old news.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yoworm wrote:

Ann

yoworm wrote:

Ann

I understand that verizon has to force their bloatware on us but that still does not explain why they are behind the other carriers who have had their updates for several months.  Not only that but if they are this late on 2.2 how late will they be with 2.3 which is almost ready. 

They're not behind the other carriers. AFAIK, none of the North American Galaxy S devices have received the update. It's been leaked for the AT&T Captivate and the Sprint Epic 4G but nothing official. Also of note is that Telus in Canada won't be releasing Froyo for their Fascinate until early 2011 so we'll see if Verizon does it any sooner.

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
Bottom line, all carriers blow! They All make promises to rope in customers and then take forever or never follow through. We as consumers have allowed this to become common practice because we sit around and complain but when it comes down to it, we do nothing. You want Verizon to take notice and stop playing games and dragging their feet, CANCEL YOUR CONTRACT. When Verizon suddenly losses 500,000 customers because they were sick of the lies and games, I bet they would snap to attention! But that will never happen because you just can't be without your cell phone or bothered to stand up for what you want. Is 2.1 really that bad? You all somehow manage to make day to day and as much as I want 2.2, this phone works really well and does all that it needs to. Guess I'm just lucky or know how to use and set up my hardware because I have zero problems with Email pushing to my phone, GPS works quick and never freezes or lags and the signal is perfect.
0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

yoworm wrote:

I am still surprised at the lack of concern for current customers.  How hard is it to provide an update that everyone else already has.  Is a verizon representative ready to talk about why the Froyo release has yet to happen?  Or maybe even give us a date of when we will finally get this almost obsolete update.

I apologize for the inconvenience for not having the Froyo update available, and I do understand your frustration. As information becomes available for the Froyo update, we will be sure to pass it along.

0 Likes
Suburban78
Contributor - Level 1
WOW! Now that is a textbook answer... I think that exact response from a wireless employee is in every thread concerning the Froyo update release. Thanks for more worthless information. I'm sure you do understand our frustration, you work for them.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Actually I feel that the first sentence in her response is much less textbook then many of the other responses from the employees and I commend her for writing it.

0 Likes