Re: Now even the Canadians get Jelly Bean before VZW customers
Tidbits
Legend

That would be on Google, and Samsung not Verizon.  You have to remember Verizon didn't manufacturer the device.

No matter what device people will often blame the carrier first.  Honestly this is bad IMHO.  The reason being this allows carriers more control as to "testing" and among other things as it takes slack off manufacturers.  It allows manufacturers to push a subpar product at times with the "fix it later" attitude.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, but if I were VZW and Qualcomm was making me wait this long, I'd be a tad annoyed... So assuming VZW isn't at least partly at fault (which I don't believe for a minute...) Then they are being made fools of by another organization.  If that other organization has to test stuff for you, you'd do it under contract wouldn't you?  Would you not put in some sort of incentive to do this in a timely fashion?  Assuming it's somebody's fault (unless it's just gross <insert insult here> on the part of all parties... a point not totally out of the question) then it's VZW taking a lot of heat unfairly because of *silence*.  Or perhaps it's the classic no-win scenario:  they really can blame someone else but it just looks like buck-passing... so say nothing.  Personally I'd come out with something like:  "Yes we are testing an update and there are things we've found that are slowing us down but rest assured we will have an excellent experience waiting for you when this is finished.  We thank you for your loyalty and patience." (HA like that'd ever happen with any company)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

NDA is the problem.  If  you sign one you don't want to break it.  Verizon may get a lot of heat, but breaking business relationships will have a far worse repercussion than a small number of users complaining about an update.  If a business like Verizon breaks one then most manufacturers would opt into not dealing with Verizon and in turn lose phone deals in turn customers may never upgrade devices or switch carriers for other devices.

0 Likes
DoctorDeDroid
Contributor - Level 2

Excellent point... it does all depend on what the NDA says and admittedly I didn't think of that...

But I can see it now:  "In the event <insert guilty party name here> decides to rake you over the coals, you, VZW,  have to sit there and take it like a man...". 

But all in all, I would not think it would violate an NDA if VZW admitted that an update is being worked on and that "issues" have been found that are causing delays.   If you are not saying someone else ran into issues....  and it's not like you're saying there is something new coming that would eat into your current sales... this is support for people who have already bought in.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's actually common sense to think it is being worked on.  With the way people are...  If they respond to one question 50 questions come their way.  49 of them they can't answer.  With the way in the past 3 years with the lawsuits I see why manufacturers, and carriers don't want to say anything until they are near ready for release.  I can give you examples of 8 devices in the past 3 years that when someone said something including a cookie-cutter response everything hit the fan.  There are actually more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Cliq

Nexus S

Behold II

Thrill

Vibrant

Captivate

Epic 4G

iPhone(MMS and AT&T)

0 Likes
UpsetVerizonCustomer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope 4.2 gets approved quicker

0 Likes
CHRIS42060
Enthusiast - Level 3

Considering the phones weren't updated to 4.2 yet and 4.2.1 will be getting pushed out to phones soon that is very doubtful. 

0 Likes