OTA Froyo install fails
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been looking through the site, but there haven't been too many discussions on this, so I thought I'd ask

I've be receiving an error message after I try to install. UPDATE FAILED or INCOMPLETE. Reason: IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED

I received the last update in January, and everything went fine then. Help is appreciated!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: OTA Froyo install fails
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, that was a no go. Started install, restarted, saw the install screen with mr android, then another reboot to main screen and the failure staring at me again.

/Edit: On the phone with verizon . . . again. Now they're telling me that certain phones just won't upgrade. They're shipping me a replacement. I am still currently completely fed up with VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

an0dyne wrote:

I've been looking through the site, but there haven't been too many discussions on this, so I thought I'd ask

I've be receiving an error message after I try to install. UPDATE FAILED or INCOMPLETE. Reason: IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED

I received the last update in January, and everything went fine then. Help is appreciated!

You last update might have been corrupted so to fix that, you are going to probably have to a factory reset 1. From the main home screen, tap menu 2. Tap Settings, then Privacy 3. Tap Factory data reset 4. Tap Reset phone 5. Enter your password, then tap Yes to confirm If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen: 1. Turn the power off. If your Samsung Fascinate is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it 2. Hold the Volume Down button 3. Press and release the Power button 4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock 5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button 6. Press and release the Power button 7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Fascinate. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.
0 Likes
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Verizon rep is currently "walking me through" the factory reset and subsequent rigmarole involved. I'll let you know when/if this fixes the problem.  Thanks!

0 Likes
JaziJoi

I got the same message.  I ended up speaking with a representative that admitted she was not familiar with the Fascinate.  So, not much help was provided.....although she did attempt to try.  I downloaded it just fine the first time on my own phone.  But my daughter had a problem downloading it on hers.  We both have a Samsung Fascinate phone.  The representative told me to take the phone into the Verizon store.  She said they will be able to push the download through.  ?????  My daughter had to leave for school, so I couldn't stay on the phone any longer for them to trouble shoot it for me.  I will take it into the local Verizon store tomorrow.  You may want to do the same.  I received the exact same error message.

0 Likes
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have someone on livechat that seems to be pretty knowledgeable. I'm stuck in 1x coverage, however, so the download is CRAWLING.

I've heard so many different causes for this - be it faulty phones, a bad install on a previous update, or corrupt files on the phone.

I'm only 33% downloaded as of writing this (40 minutes into the download). If this works, its a quick and mostly painless process

0 Likes
JaziJoi

What did they advise you to do?  :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

factory reset. read the second post for detailed instructions

Edit. NickJr with the info. 46% downloaded.

0 Likes
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, that was a no go. Started install, restarted, saw the install screen with mr android, then another reboot to main screen and the failure staring at me again.

/Edit: On the phone with verizon . . . again. Now they're telling me that certain phones just won't upgrade. They're shipping me a replacement. I am still currently completely fed up with VZW

0 Likes
AraceliT_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you to everyone your replies. We recommend a soft reset, by pulling the battery out for 10 seconds, and then try the update once again. If this does not work, you can perform a Master Reset as previously stated and try again. 

Thank you, 

AraceliT_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
an0dyne
Enthusiast - Level 3
Dear verizon wireless employee:

You obviously didn't read my thread, as your company admitted to me over the phone that they out sent out handsets, knowing they wouldn't update. All the resets in the world won't fix my problem, or anyone suffering from it.

And please, don't thank me, it makes me feel dirty.
0 Likes