OTA Update Failes!
Scott13M

So, to tell the truth, I am really happy with my new Samsung Fascinate and the Android operating system. The phone's functionality is fully customizable and user friendly. Countless free aps are available through the Android Market wich make it possible to utilize my equipment to its full potential without incurring any additional cost.
However, I recently stumbled upon an issue the the Verizon reps are claiming to be isolated to me and my Android. I would simply like to share this situation with you as to better inform others.
So, this morning I woke to find several multimedia messages had been sent to my phone the previous day but had not been downloaded. When viewing the messages in "conversation" it stated their status was "downloading". Upon selecting the conversation bubble the only options were to delete, call, or check status. The status revealed the date and time this message would expire. (i was hoping to find a "refresh / retrieve" option, but there was none).
My next recourse was to search for an OS upgrade / update. Much to my surprise there was one that downloaded to my phone in less than one minute however, after 4 attempts (even after a master reboot) the update continually failed to install.
Since I purchased the phone from a Verizon retailer that does not share the same inventory as the corporate stores near me I have to suffer an inconvenience of either travelling 5 hours round trip to get back to the location where my device was purchased or ship it to them and wait for another phone to be mailed back, leaving me without a phone for several days just to get my phone exchanged to resolve the manufacturers defect (unless it is simply an error with the software / update).
To go further, I asked the sales rep over the phone to try the update on the phone he would be sending as a replacement to ensure that this issue is specific to my device and that the update would successfully install on the replacement (before I endure this inconvenience) and was told that he could not power up the device until after receipt of mine b/c of a Gmail acct being needed.
So, being that this update was just released today, I have no way of knowing weather or not this is a hardware issue or a software (update) issue.
Though technological advancement has come a long way in bringing us quality communication conveniently and much much more, I can't help but feel customer service may have a long way to go in an effort to match that quality and convenience. This is an issue that should, in my opinion, be resolved directly through the manufacturer but aparently it doesn't work that way.
I would love to hear any suggestions...
Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Re: OTA Update Failes!
chearring

I JUST updated mine and it worked. You should try it again. :0)

0 Likes
Sagellih

When updating, be sure to turn your wifi off. I don't know if affects all phones, just certain ones, etc, but they won't download until you turn off your wifi. Mine was the same way, I couldn't download the update. Once I turned the wifi off, it downloaded with no problem. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Scott13M

downloading the update works fine... (with WiFi off as you stated) .. .. my issue is the installation after it is downloaded.

It takes nearly 20 minutes to complete, and then the phone reboots. then it says that the update failed..

0 Likes
mluihn13

The modem hangup is happening to a lot of Fascinates. I have tried several times to do the update and it fails everytime. I even did the factory reset and the same failure happen. I called Verizon yesterday and she had no idea how to fix it. The more people who call, the sooner they will fix this. I do not want any problems like this to keep from installing 2.2 when it hits. So call verizon....
0 Likes
Scott13M

Yep, I'm glad to know that I am not alone on this issue... I have exhausted every avenue in an effort to try and resolve this issue aside from returning the phone or contacting Samsung directly (which won't do any good). So the only recourse available at this time is to return/exchange the phone for a new one. I will be mailing mine out on Monday (before my 30 day return policy expires).

However, I was hoping that this issue was not my own problem and that the provider of the update would resolve our issue so that I would not have to endure the inconvenience of being without a phone for several days.

I have been monitoring other forums to try and find an answer/resolution to this dilema and save us all the inconvenience.

Verison "corporate stores" can expedite the exchage process without any inconvenience to the consumer - provided that your phone was purchased through a corporate store...

Unfortunately I bought my phone from a private retailer and Verizon refuses to resolve this problem for me..

What a disappointment... Though they do not share the same inventory, a customer service rep (Eric) told me just this morning that the vendor is the same, so the phones are being purchased from (and more than likely being returned to) the same distributer.

What exactly am I paying for...?

I'm starting to feel like I should have just gone to AT&T for an iPhone...  =(

0 Likes
Scott13M

Better yet, . . . Sprint for an HTC Evo... I think they actually got it right..

0 Likes
longplaypg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too have seen this issue.

I can download the update and it warns it will take a minute to update and I will not be able to use the phone.

I start the updated and about 20 minutes later its still on "updating modem" and reaches about 95% complete.

Then it reboots and says the failure..

Code: 410

Now interesting it had said something about a previous update had failed in a different window. My phone is not even 3 weeks old and was fresh out of the box. It failed the first time and I have 3 other times now and they all fail.

Guess I will have to make time to talk with Verizon.

LP

0 Likes
Alangina

Had same problem with updating with the new firmware…kept getting error messages. Brought it back to the Verizon store today and they swapped it out for another new phone and it updated like a charm. Don’t wait for your 30 days to be up! 

0 Likes
Bearlover1226

I, too, am running into the same "Update Fails" problem.  I have attempted 3 different times, all of them WITHOUT the WIFI on, and received the same error message.  I took the phone to the VERIZON retailer where I purchased it, a WEEK ago, and they also made 3 attempts that failed.  I was told it should be able to update within a week and I was also told it was just a "glitch" and as soon as they get the software on their computer if it hadn't loaded in a week I can bring my phone back in and they will load it to my phone that way. REALLY????  The rep stated that each phone has a different signal for connecting to the tower and mine just isn't connecting right now.  I am really frustrated and switched from a different carrier because they wouldn't take care of issues I was having with my previous phone.  Now I feel like I am in the same boat ....and its sinking fast!!  I am not a "phone geek" so I'm not sure if I am being fed a line of BULL and should take my phone back and DEMAND a replacement or just be patient and wait for the update to "find me".  Should I call VERIZON???  Will they even be able to assist over the phone?

FRUSTRATED!!!

0 Likes